Comments on Baron MINI

General discussions related to MINIs and Minis
BARONfeedback

Comments on Baron MINI

Post by BARONfeedback »

I think it's about time we had a thread about the good and bad times we have had with Baron MINI, especially since they changed hands a couple (?) of years ago. It's necessary because (1) This is the only MINI dealership in town and (2) those of you who have never dealt with another dealership might like to have some perspective.

Moderators, feel free to switch this to a previous thread if necessary. I'll start us off. So far, my experience has been only with the senior MA, the sales manager, and the Accessories salesman.

I must temper my comments by the fact that this brand might be the hottest in town, and many people want to drive or own one. The foot traffic in the store is tremendous, and the salespeople (?) are quite busy. Some dealerships in other cities have reacted by adding dealer markup to the MSRP or by being rude to the customers. So far, none of this that I know of.

I had to wait in line to order the car. My MA, the senior salesperson, was tactful and knowledgable as she took my order, and in responding to the two emails I sent her beforehand. The sales manager was calm and respectful (ex BMW guy).

However, once the deposit was placed, the service all but stopped. Not that I need a lot of service before I have the car, but I did want to know some details about the paperwork and my trade-in.

In general, my MA does not seem to return phone calls. In the ensuing weeks before delivery, she has not returned my calls, especially the one about when can I bring in my trade-in for a bid (I was told 10 days before delivery). I have called her twice and emailed maybe twice since receiving the production number. These are not excessive demands from a paying customer.

She promised to contact me when the car came off the boat. Nothing. I have emailed her -and- the sales manager about a status update. Worked once, but not twice (hey the phone calls don't work).

Folks, even though this product is soooo cool, and we all love the brand, sometime in the next two years, there will be competition. The car market will continue to evolve, and there will be another cute performer with high gas mileage. Success breeds imitation. Remember what happens at this store and guide your purchasing by your past experiences with it.

Right now I'm waiting for the accessories salesman to call me back. Will he be in a hurry? I would think so, he has many things to sell me, and gawd forbid, maybe he can tell me where my car is. But I'm not holding my breath.

I've purchased a lot of new cars from many different brands. Porsche, Ford, Chevrolet, Buick, VW. Right now my impression of Baron is quite average. What is your impression ?
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

I bought my car used, and so far they've been terrific. Good follow up, good service from the shop, free loaner cars, sponsorship of the MINI club activities and so on.........

Your problems are real and need to be addressed........perhaps one final call to the MINI sales manager first if not a personal visit? If that's non-productive, maybe a call to the GM of the store?

Let us know what happens, OK?

Oh, and welcome to the life! :lol:

Once you get your car, you'll forget all it took to get it here......... 8)
Hi! My name's Dave!

'09 LB/LB Clubman S - "Max"
89 Mini "Racing Green"
94 SPi Project (The Hot Rod)
BARONfeedback

Post by BARONfeedback »

Minidave wrote: Once you get your car, you'll forget all it took to get it here......... 8)
Dave, thanks for your positive comments. I would not have started this thread had I not believed that we MINI owners could deal with dealer issues and still look to the sunny side of the street. Of course I'll forget a lot of this when the car arrives.

But I can't help but tell you that I was talking to the same MA -one year ago- when she said she would look for a MINI that I had spec'ed out. Still have the email. Never heard back from her. I'm not so caught up in the fever that I have to swallow my pride and beg the dealership to sell me one of their cars, so I dropped it for awhile.

I'm hoping that my service experience is the same as yours :) .
And thanks for moderating, I've gotten a lot of good information from this source !
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

I understand what you're saying..........I don't think it's just MINI salespeople tho, I've seen it thruout the car industry...........sometimes I wonder (having been in the car bidness for 30 years myownself) how these folks make a living........ :?

My personal experience with the MINI sales staff is non-existent, i asked for a call when the Clubman's were coming in so I could look at/drive one and my only contact was the card I got inviting me to the X6 unveiling, of course I knew about the Big Clubowski event thru Johnna's efforts here on the website.

I still haven't gotten a call for a test drive, but then I'm not ready to plunk down the money for a new one yet anyway, so it didn't bother me......
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
kabootist

Post by kabootist »

I did not buy my Minis, 03 and 06 MCSs, from Baron. The moment I mention this to anyone at Baron, their attitude changes from we can help with anything to, Oh, ummm let me go help someone else who bought a Mini or BMW from us previously. I usually go during light traffic times, Weekday afternoons, and just get plain ignored. I've walked around the dealership for 30 minutes before I decided its just not worth it and left. Everyone just looks up and sees me and does nothing. I do go buy parts there and the parts department is helpful but I usually go with a part number so all they have to do is order. I went to Nashville Mini and they made me feel 100 times more welcome and didn't care that I was just browsing and offered assistance with everything and anything Mini related. I've sent emails but all but 1 has gone unanswered. I am glad I only rely on baron for parts and when something goes wrong with my mini that I can't fix, I take it to KC Autosport before even considering baron. I've purchased lots of cars and so far my impression is just plain smug. BMW/Mini just treats me like someone that they think couldn't afford to drive a Mini even though every time I go I go in my Mini or my Harley. Baron is probably the second worst dealer I have been to. My best experience surpisingly would be with the Hummer dealer just down the road from Baron. Even though I was buying a used jeep, they were the most helpful and were prompt. I was still treated like someone buying a brand new hummer even though I was buying a jeep. Surprisingly the Hummer dealer is somewhat busy for the 2 or 3 sales guys they have on staff. A lot busier than Baron is at the same time of day. I love the car but Baron just doesn't do it for me.
Big Papi

Post by Big Papi »

Dave-

Thanks for the nice words and comments.

Let me start off by saying that I have purchased a new MINI and you can see it in the pic associated with my name and the details at the bottom of my signature. I have had several excellent experiences with Baron and I would and do highly-recomend them to evryone I talk to about cars.

I started looking at MINI about four years ago but through circumstance was not able to make my purchase. I keep an eye on the car and drove up to the dealership on Sunday mornings to see what was there. Finally, in March of this year, after the annual Greater Kansas City Auto Show I decided to pull the trigger and get one. I had 5 different versions of the car built online and over the course of time I had driven the Cooper and Cooper S twice each. I did my research and checked around, call and made an appointment and went in. They still had my records from my inital visit and I was handed off to my original MA. She was very nice and had me drive the cars again and went over all of my options. We worked on the deal for about 2 weeks and did the paperwork.

Here is where I thought they really did an outstanding job. On the day I took delivery and fianlized my paperwork my wife went with me. I had not told them anything about her or how she hates car dealers in general. They were polite and professional with me and especially to her and treated us both like we were doing them a favor by buying the car from them and showed us diginity and respect. She was very impressed and has already told me that if there great service keeps up when she is ready for a new car she will only go to them, PERIOD!!! In the past other dealers have talked down to my wife, tried only to deal with me and acted like God gave them devine powers and to purchase a car from them was a rare honor after they screwed you and the deal you originally wanted or were working on.

Later on when I needed an item repaired as part of the intial "we owe", the bluetooth mic was accidentally not installed during assembly in England, they loaned me a BMW 3 series since a MINI was not available at the time. It took five days (shipping from England and installation) and there was no hassle at all, my MINI and any BMW on the lot are seen the same by all who I have associated with at Baron.

I would sincerely offer the same advise that Dave said, try again and even make a visit if necessary. I do know that they rotate their days off during the week and the accessories guy (Samr) is not in on either Wednesday or Thursday. Also, one of the MA's has recently left, if you are calling them directly I would suggest that you call the main line and speak to the operator and even ask for the Sales Manager. HE has told me in the past that if my MA or Samr was not available to please contact him and he will be glad to assist me.

When I was in there a couple of weeks ago they were quite busy, as youmentioned the market is extremely hot right now for the MINI. At last check you cold not locate more than one or two used MINI for any year ina a 150 mile radius of Kansas City and most new MINI's arriving in Kansas City are already spoken for through pre-purchase.

Now, my last statement is this...there have been people in the past who have not had the perfect experience and it does happen with all car manufacturer's. There is always a lemon or bad dealer experiece, no car company is immune to it. Some owners will probably not agree with my comments and that ok, this was simply my experiences so you be the judge. However, keep in mind for this brand that it is a high-end vehicle gearded to enthusiasts who want a unique experience and car. This is usually kept in mind because the client is going to be VERY, VERY picky. There is a lot of passion on our part, but do not think there isn't a lot of passion on their part as well. There have been some really great people who have or do take a lot of pride in servicing us and the cars, some have devoted their lives to MINI and Baron.

If you call them or visit the dealership again and nothing happens please feel free to PM me and I will be glad to assist and no I do not work for Baron or MINI in anyway.

Good Luck and keep us informed as to what happens.
dimini
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by dimini »

I have either leased or purchased three cars from Baron dating back to my 1997 3-series, '03 MCS and current '06 MCS. These deals took place under previous ownership. They were exceptional, PERIOD.

On the BMW side (the only side in '97) they were professional, personable, curteous and went out of their way to please me. Ditto regarding my MINI experiences.

I've had only a few experiences under the new management/ownership, but haven't noticed any change in attitude toward me or my service. My 2nd service is coming up in within a 1000 miles, so I'll have a better hands on perspective then. ( I had been told by a former Baron employee that there would be more aggressive sales tactics because of the new management philosophy. ) Since I'm not in the market, I haven't really experienced the new sales force at work...

I stop by from time to time unanounced and visit with Samer, or whomever I see. They treat me very well. Odd how some folks have such opposite reactions/experiences. I have never felt overlooked by the alleged arrogant BMW or the harried MINI representatives that I've read about in other threads.
'06 MCS JCW daily driver & classic mini pick-up
kabootist

Post by kabootist »

I'm starting to think that I don't seem very approachable...or something :lol:
Big Papi

Post by Big Papi »

Kabootist-

You are A-ok in my book. You just need to go online and get one of those "real" :roll: psychics to get ride of that bad karma :twisted: (ha-ha).
kabootist

Post by kabootist »

:lol: I don't think a psychic would help much. Miss Cleo doesn't help with bad CARma, she just tells you that you have it. Its all in da cards mon.
LittleRed

Post by LittleRed »

I purchased my car from Baron and had warranty and other work done there. I had one bad experience with the service at Baron. But after getting the service manager on the phone and speaking with him directly the problem was corrected. And he talked to me personally when I arrived back at Baron with my Mini. Otherwise they have in some cases gone out of their way to make my experience a good one. Having said that I would take Baron on their absolute worst day over the experience I just had at one of the three Mini dealerships in the greater Philly area. You would think that having three different dealerships would actually make the customer service better. However that is NOT the case. Needless to say I miss Baron and the way they take care of us. :cry:
Marlow Main
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Marlow Main »

Hello, and Welcome.

I also ordered my 06 MSC. The staff at Baron has always been polite and responsive to my questions and concerns, both before and after the sale. The few times I have needed service performed, they have been minor issues, but they have been dealt with promptly and I have always been given a loaner. Whenever I pop in, regardless of the time of day, they always say Hello, and usually greet me by name, if they are busy, they let me know they will be with me shortly.

This is the first 'car club' I have ever been involved with. ( I have heard that when you buy a MINI, you get a community also) I like the fact the Baron supports our club, with quarterly gatherings, special offers and sometime prizes for our events. They realize that an active club of eager MINI owners is smart advertising.

I am sorry that your experience so far has not been favorable. I agree with others, you should stop in and discuss you concerns with the GM. I would hate for this to somehow tarnish your option of your soon to be new MINI.

Good Luck!
aris_poerwanto

Post by aris_poerwanto »

My other friend went to test drove Minis at Baron. I am surprised because he told me the salesman didnt even come with him during test driving.
I didnt buy my Mini in Baron. I bought it in Texas, Momentum Mini, and the salesman always tag along for test drive.
Big Papi

Post by Big Papi »

WOW, I must have went out on 5 or 6 test drives before buying my MINI and the only time I had a MA go with me was across the street to fill up the gas tank for me, then off I went by myself.

Do they go with you at other MINI dealers?

Usually at all others dealers that I have ever been to in KC they go with you and they don't let you push it or anything. At Baron they told me about the "sport" button and to get on it when I went for my drives.

Once again they were great! Frankly as it stands for me right now I will never go to another dealer unless something drastic happens, but that is me.
kabootist

Post by kabootist »

There is only 1 or 2 dealers I've been to in KC that went along....and most of them were guys a little older than me and i pushed it to the limit. I basically told them I take real test drives, not putt around the block, if they don't like it I'm not buying the car. That sounds really straight forward but I usually am really friendly when I'm testing and looking around for cars, its when the sales managers get involved that i get nasty. :D
LittleRed

Post by LittleRed »

When I was looking, Baron let me keep one over night. All the salesperson said before handing me the key was "don't go 100 mph." :o This was one of the five or six test drives with different Minis before settling on the Cooper S.
monza

Post by monza »

I didnt buy my Mini from baron, but after the current owners bought the place I did go looking for a 4 door sedan (330 or similar). I got zero attention, even after I mentioned that my brother worked for them. I ended up with a great buying experience at Georges' Imports driving off the lot in a 9-5 Aero. This same scenario played out for a couple guys here at work too who ended up with TLs and G35s...

That being said. I do know their service team in the shop are great, just the front end service isnt all that great...
BARONfeedback

Update

Post by BARONfeedback »

Well, folks, I've heard lots of excuses, but not why Baron doesn't answer their phone for a paying customer. This is the truth.

I took Dave's advice and gave both the salesperson and the sales manager some constructive feedback, trying to be as positive and as factual as possible. Not sure now if there will be flak from them or just a transaction as normal.

Any more details and I'll reveal who I am, although I have been talking to two others with MINI's on order, and the communication issue ...is... the.... same.

I'll be sure to let you know. You can count on that.
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

Any company worth it's stripes will want to hear from customers, either for good or bad.................a lot of times management does not know there's a problem because the customer simply walks out and they never hear from them again. Taking the time to call them and speak to them is good on your part, and I hope it helps not only you but also future customers....
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
kabootist

Re: Update

Post by kabootist »

BARONfeedback wrote:...Any more details and I'll reveal who I am ...
oooOOoohhh, this is some James Bond mystery stuff, I like it.
BARONfeedback

My account is about to be deleted

Post by BARONfeedback »

This will be my last post, as it has been suggested by a very tactful moderator that I use another moniker more suited to my esteemed position within the MINI community. Perhaps she is right.

The only reason to be anonymous is that I didn't want the dealership to spit in my soup before serving it. Not that -they- would, mind you, but some retailers would.

It does appear that Baron is/was having trouble with their email computer.
For weeks on end. They also appear to respond to feedback, and how they made it up to me shall remain classified. Just don't expect quick return of phone calls.

I -can- tell you that large bundles of unmarked Swiss currency were NOT involved and that I will retain ownership of my Aston Martin even after the ancient MINI initiation ritual is performed at some undisclosed site on a future date.

"Shaken, not Stirred"
Big Papi

Post by Big Papi »

Good Luck, Maxwell Smart (ha-ha)

Come to one of the events when you can. This Sunday is MINI/Mini at the Market from 10:00am to 2:00pm. We are meeting at the downtown airport at 9:00am as a rally point and will drive over as a group. You are welcome to come with us.

Happy Motoring.....
JohnBLZ

Post by JohnBLZ »

I'm not one to be shy with my opinion so I'll pop in on this...

I'm an individual who gives alot to my customer base and expects the same when I'm wearing the customer hat. After an initial misunderstanding (my fault) with Baron, the sales staff has been phenomenal...specifically Liz.

I have had the occasional rough spot with service...in part due to my own perception of service and in part due to being one of the first to have the new R56 when it came out. It was a learning experience for both the service dept and myself. That being said, I have been satisfied with their most recent service and wouldn't hesitate to send others their way.

The MINI is not a cheap car and it carries BMW type service expectations from it's consumer base...however the MINI is also a bird of a different feather with a rabid fan base who is just as (if not more) knowledgeable about the product than the dealers can be (and that is not a Baron specific statement, it's a general statement across the dealers nationwide).

That can be a challenge to service as the expectation and stakes are high for both customer and product supplier/servicer.

It can benefit parties on both sides of the equation to understand the others perspective.
bezlar

Post by bezlar »

I ordered a Mini S about 2 weeks ago from Baron and other than the we are doing you a favor additude at the wheel and deal part of the sale, they have been great to work with. My sales person is Liz and she has returned every call I have made. So far would give them a B plus. If delivery goes as planned they would have an A in my book. :lol: