Run-flat Tires

General discussions related to MINIs and Minis
Big Papi

Run-flat Tires

Post by Big Papi »

There has been a lot of talk on run-flats at the last few gatherings. I am going to open the can of worms here but what the hell...

I do like my run-flats for what they do and since my car is new I do have the road hazzard protection which basicaaly gives me a new tire should I puncture a run-flat. They are comfortable and I can race a little with them, if I want. That being said NO...they are not the quietest tires I have ever had and not the best ride, there is some jaring at times, my best tires I ever had would fall to the yokahama's on my Prelude si.

That being said YES...I like having them because there is no space for the spare and I would not want the spare in the car taking up that EXTREMELY valuable space. Obiviously, mounting under the car is not an option and I don't want it mounted on the back of the care like the old Lincoln Mark IV's (??? the car Cannon drove in the t.v. show.)

The other alternative I have seen on a couple of MINI's was to mount a rack and put a bike on top and that becomes your spare tire. Sorry to those who do this but that is just not my cup of tea, but that's cool if it is what you want.

In the past I have had on average 2 flat tires per year on my Explorer so I am not comfortable at all with not having runflats on a car that does not carry a spare. Also, I use my R56 as a daily driver so if I am in traffic or need to drive several miles to get it where I am comfortable that the mechanics know what they are doing then I have that option.

Let the fireworks begin........ :D :P
saturn

Post by saturn »

I like my runflat's as well, however, not purchasing the road hazard on the current set, it can get pretty costly to replace one tire. When I get the rims that I want, 18's of course, they will have non-runflat tires. I will have a little emergency roadside kit consisting of a pair of pliers, a tire plug kit, rubber cement, and a small cigarette lighter plug in air compressor just in case!
DDodge

Post by DDodge »

Big Papi, I just do not remember the roads being that bad in Prairie Village!

Seriously, I haven't had a flat for so long I don't even remember when it was. (MANY cars and tires ago) New tires are nothing like the ones we had back in the 60s and 70s. You must have gotten some bad tires on that Explorer.

DD
Big Papi

Post by Big Papi »

Yes, I do live in PV but my house is 4 blocks from KCMO so I am over there a lot, their roads suck :P . FYI... have you been down 75th Street or Booth Drive lately?, they are in bad shape. :!:

For the record I do live in PV but the City does not seem fit to do much road work in our neighborhood, only the well to do homes seem to receive that benefit from paying taxes :!: :!: :!: Booth drive is like a road course, you have to maneuver your car around the holes and dips in the road to keep from making a seriously expensive pit stop at Baron.

Sorry :cry: , sensitive issue for us regular folk in PV, were expected to pay our taxes but we don't seem to receive the same benefits. (touchy subject for us here :x )
DDodge

Post by DDodge »

I live in Missouri and work on 75th St. :) We had the biggest pothole in the city right across the street for a while. They did fix it, though! :)

Don D
Big Papi

Post by Big Papi »

Guess you get better results than PV folks.