Detailing Mini's Glass with tint film

General discussions related to MINIs and Minis
kraydl

Detailing Mini's Glass with tint film

Post by kraydl »

Okay, so I washed my new Mini with just water and a sponge, because I was unsure of what else to use. Especially on the tinted glass film.
Over at NAM, there are 100 things mentioned that people like to use. So I thought I'd throw a shout out to see what the KC folks use.

1) For glass. It seems a no-ammonia product is the way to go. Of those, these seem to be the popular ones...

ImageImage
ImageImage
and a good cleaner cloth http://tinyurl.com/66p76g

2) For the body. There seems to be a large majority that like the Prima products like Epic, Slick, Hydro, Banana Gloss... you name it
http://tinyurl.com/55mv7s And a good towel... http://tinyurl.com/65azwr

What's y'alls preferences for 1 & 2?
Last edited by kraydl on Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:34 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

I'm surprised to see "No Streak", I used to use that with great results but I haven't found it in our area for years now.........right now I just used clean water and a terry cloth towel to clean the insides........

As to the body, I use Armor All's carwash soap, and clean, dry terry cloth towels to dry it off............that's it.

BTW Buzz, can you and Cathy come with the club to the drive-in this Sat?

Check "Grassroots Gatherings" for details, we'd love to have you join us if you can.........
Hi! My name's Dave!

'09 LB/LB Clubman S - "Max"
89 Mini "Racing Green"
94 SPi Project (The Hot Rod)
davester
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by davester »

For the glass, I use Stoner's Invisible Glass. Washing,any good car wash liquid.
I like Prima Amigo and then Epic (one coat of each). For wiping water from MINI, try a large waffle weave towel followed by a large microfiber towel. If the paint feels rough, claybar after washing with Dawn dishwashing soap. This will remove all old wax. Use this (Dawn) ONLY if you reapply wax.
Lots of different ways to clean your car. Just pick one and go with it.
Good Luck---
2015 F56 S hatchback-Electric Blue/Black, Cold Weather Package,Premium Package, Sport Package and a lot of other crap. "BRUISER"

They call me David
Former MINI's
2004 R53 "Stubby"
2012 R58 Coupe "Deuce"
saturn

Post by saturn »

+1 on the Spray-Away, worked for a glass company and that's all they ever used. Good thing is you can pick up like 3 cans for around 7 bucks at Sam's Club.
kraydl

Post by kraydl »

The Mini is 2 weeks old. I could tell when I picked it up that it had been waxed by the white residue and spots of it on the black trim. Have no clue what Baron waxes with but should that be removed with Dawn before the Epic is applied? Looks like Amigo may not be needed for new paint. Not sure will read. Never heard of Claybar.

Thanks.
Last edited by kraydl on Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
davester
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by davester »

Yes, I would wash with Dawn because you don't know whats on the car. Use peanut butter (smooth) to take the white off the trim. No kidding--
Put a plastic bag on your hand and rub the paint. If it feels bumpy or if dragging, look for Mother's Clay Bar kit where you buy the car wash. Being new, I doubt you need it yet.
2015 F56 S hatchback-Electric Blue/Black, Cold Weather Package,Premium Package, Sport Package and a lot of other crap. "BRUISER"

They call me David
Former MINI's
2004 R53 "Stubby"
2012 R58 Coupe "Deuce"
kraydl

Post by kraydl »

Peanut butter... I'll have to remember that one.

I hear the Prima Epic is so shiny it looks wet and the Hydro is good for in-between Epics. Not sure where the new Banana Gloss fits in. There seems to be a lot of overlap in the Prima products.

Thanks for the info.
ragtopday Johnna
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Post by ragtopday Johnna »

kraydl wrote:Peanut butter... I'll have to remember that one.
I used the oil that floats on top of the all natural PB when I had the stock black trim. It works well with a q-tip or the fancy little foam things that are like q-tips only...well, foamy. Those come from Griot's Garage or you can buy them at Complete Garage in Lenexa. You can also use peanut oil if you have that in your cupboard.

I tried Banana Gloss when it was called Banana Gas and couldn't get past the smell. I don't know if that has changed or not? I'm using the Zaino line on my car right now. I like how it looks, it lasts well thru washing and rain and I can be a bit messy applying it--it even works well on glass.

Maybe we should have a "try it before you buy it" afternoon at someone's garage. I've got a full cabinet of detailing/cleaning products that I no longer use or didn't like after buying them but someone else might. Anyone else have a similar collection? :lol:
Johnna--BMPR CR '05 Chili Red JustaCVT, JCW Sound Kit #D344, JCW BBK, aFe cai, M7 Under Strut System, strut tower plates, Sparkly wheel arches, a little chrome. Garage-sharing w/ '12 Goodwood MCS #372, '06 MCS "Jack" and MiniX4's classic, Moxie.
sweetlou
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by sweetlou »

Maybe we should have a "try it before you buy it" afternoon at someone's garage. I've got a full cabinet of detailing/cleaning products that I no longer use or didn't like after buying them but someone else might. Anyone else have a similar collection?

yep I have that

mark
kraydl

Post by kraydl »

Okay,
I picked up both Invisible Glass and Sprayway. I tried them on two cars, inside and outside glass, and on tint too. I can't tell a difference between the two. Both work fantastic with a short nap microfiber. I think the Invisible Glass was $4 and the Sprayway $7 for a 4 can pack at Sams. The UG is pump, the Sprayway aerosol.