WARNING - When is 10,000 Miles NOT 10,000 Miles ???

General discussions related to MINIs and Minis

Have you had a problem with your 10,000 oil change?

Yes
8%
No
92%

Total votes: 13

TWabich

WARNING - When is 10,000 Miles NOT 10,000 Miles ???

Post by TWabich »

When it applies to an oil change.

We took M. Clive in today for his 10k oil change. His odometer showed 9,960 miles. Guess what, the oil service "counter" still showed 1,600 miles before he needed his oil changed and we were told to return when the "counter" had less than 1,000 miles to go.

I have been driving since 1964 and you know what, I learned something new today...

So save yourselves some time and watch the "counter" and NOT the odometer.

Bear :shock:
sundance
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by sundance »

The reason I was told that the 1st oil change often goes beyond 10K is that the countdown computer bases the scheduled maintenance on fuel consumption and not actual mileage. I think most MINIs reach the "10K mile" countdown around 11K. It just means that you're getting slightly better fuel economy than projected.

The kicker is that when you get that first oil change, the countdown computer is reset and the next scheduled maintenance is in 15K more miles.

You can always pay for an unscheduled oil change and they are not supposed to reset the countdown computer for such unscheduled maintenance. This allows you to still receive the included "free" oil changes when the OBC counts down to 0 every time.
2006 John Cooper Works GP - Stock
quicksilver

Post by quicksilver »

I have never owned a vehicle that can go 15k miles before the second oil change...is that normal for a MINI? I guess I'm just used to my other oil-burning Fords... :(

We've only just hit the first maintenance trip about a month ago, so I always wonder when I see that 14,000 pop up on ignition...
cletus

Post by cletus »

quicksilver wrote:I have never owned a vehicle that can go 15k miles before the second oil change...
Sure you have. You just never before had a manufacturer who'd admit it. Heck, when I started driving (back in aught-three) you couldn't go 3000 miles without not just an oil change, but a complete tune-up consisting of plugs, points, condenser, and a check on the plug wires. That's a lot of fiddling around! Nowadays you can buy a car off the lot and run it for 60,000 miles before you have to pop the hood for so much as a look around.

Technology changes. Even lubrication technology. And with current technology it's possible to go 15k between oil changes just as surely as it's possible to go 60k before your first tune-up. And I, for one, don't miss the fiddling around every few thousand miles one little bit.
MINIMike

Post by MINIMike »

Allow me to shed some "insider" light on the subject...

*looks around to make sure nobody from work is watching*

There is no such thing as the 10,000 mile oil service. Thost dad-blasted salesmen can NEVER get it right! They always say 10,000 miles is the first time service is due, because saying, "you're first oil service is due at 10,000 miles" is easier than saying "you're MINI will calculate your fuel consumption and countdown to your first oil change based on your specific driving habits."

Here's the real deally-yo!

- The service indicator countdown is based strictly on fuel injection signal.

- People who do mostly in-town driving as opposed to HWY driving will get a countdown alot quicker. We do 7,000 mile 1st oil changes ALL THE TIME! It has NOTHING to do with the miles on your odometer!

- You could let your MINI idle for 6 months straight without turning it off and it could show that it's due for service. Again, it's based solely on fuel injection signal ratios.

- It has more to do with the amount of gallons of fuel burned than it does your actually odometer reading. (although, we all know that gallons of fuel burned has a lot of contributing factors)

-Cold starts have a relatively high injection signal==especially when ambient temperature is higher--this causes your countdown indicator to go down faster.

- Faster accelerations cause more fuel injection signal....which means for quicker countdown..

Hope that helps...

Cheers,
Michael
ylwjkt

Post by ylwjkt »

MINIMike,

Will MINI spring for an oil change before the countdown reaches less than 1000 miles, if it has been longer than a year since your last service?

And just between us 8) , would you recommend more frequent oil changes, or rely on your MINI's count-down computer to be accurate?

AND will Baron check my MINI's fluid levels if I stop in? I am kinda paranoid about the power steering fluid since the rack had to be changed during my last visit.

Gee, I'm glad you're here! :D
MINIMike

Post by MINIMike »

"MINIMike,

Will MINI spring for an oil change before the countdown reaches less than 1000 miles, if it has been longer than a year since your last service? "

Absolutely. At the one year point from the in-service date (your MINI's birthday), if you haven't reached below 1000 miles on your service indicator then you can get the annual low mileage oil/filter change. What happens is the just the oil and filter are changed and the countdown indicator is NOT reset. You then come back in once the indicator works it way down to 0.

It's basically a 2 for one, but it works well for people who put low mileage on their MINIS.

As far as the in-between oil changes, I would only recommend it if you are really pushing your MINI very hard. (autocross etc.) It really is overkill and not necessary otherwise.

3 factors contribute to the success of the current oil system on the MINI.

- Higher engine operating temperature
- Full synthetic oil
- Design of the oil filter insert. (check it out sometime, it's a very intricate design)

Of course you can bring the car in anytime from 7:30 - 4:30 which is when the techs are working. We'll check the fluids and even wash the car for you if you have the time to wait.

Sorry to hear about your steering rack. MINI considers that a nice battle scar :)
petek

Post by petek »

... and that full synthetic oil is a *very* important part of the equation. The ol' liquid dinosaur oil goes through some nasty chemical changes when exposed to O2.

Synthetic oil is the only way to go if you have a car that you store for the winter.