Carmax

General discussions related to MINIs and Minis
SilverStreak

Carmax

Post by SilverStreak »

Please forgive me while I vent for a moment. About a month ago I was in the market for my first MINI. I had wanted one for some time, and was finally able to afford a pre-owned one with reasonable miles. I tried Baron, but unfortunately they didn't have anything at the time that fit my needs. I then found one that I liked at Carmax. After driving it for a couple weeks, I noticed that the radio display would get dim in the heat. Since Carmax has a 30 day warranty, I took it back to get it checked out. I dropped it off on June 9th.

Fast forward to today (June 24th). I get a call that the radio that they sent off has finally come back in and they will have it installed and I can pick it up this afternoon. I am thrilled. Even though they gave me a loaner (Mitsubishi Galant :roll: ), I missed driving my MINI. When I get to Carmax, I learned that they broke the vent on top of the dash, so they are going to have to order a new one. Now I'm getting a bit more frustrated, but they are going to fix it. I take off, upset that there is an ugly hole in the top of my dash, but at least I'm back in my MINI. As soon as I left the parking lot, I realized that the A/C isn't working :x . I promptly turned around and took it back. So, now I'm back in the Galant until they can figure this one out.

There is part of me that keeps thinking at least they are fixing these things and at least they gave me a loaner. On the other hand, part of me is frustrated that I bought a MINI and am stuck driving a Galant. I'm also wondering if I should have been more patient and waited until Baron got a pre-owned MINI in that fit my needs instead of going to Carmax.
DA MINI
MINIAC
MINIAC

Re: Carmax

Post by DA MINI »

Tell the you would like to return it.
Mr. F56
SilverStreak

Post by SilverStreak »

DA MINI wrote:Tell the you would like to return it.
I'm debating it. Unfortunately, I'm pretty sure I'm past the point that they would allow that. I would probably also be out the money that I spent to put stripes on it (shoulda waited on that one).
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

The only mistake I see that you made was letting a Carmax (work's on everything, expert in nothing) mechanic work on a specialized car like your MINI. Makes you wonder what else they fixed that's going to come back on you later, doesn't it? I know they were "fixing" it for free, but what has it "cost" you to NOT have your car for a month? You're still making the payments, right?

Chances are there's nothing wrong with the car you bought that can't be straightened out, and once fixed it should be a great car for you, so you can have confidence in that at least.

Next time, I'd suggest you take it to someone you trust, whether Baron (my 1st choice) or an independent you've used and have confidence in. These are expensive cars, and easy to screw up, just remember that for the future. Oh, and your MINI dealer warrants all of their shop work - parts and labor - for 2 years......no one else does.......no one.

You also can come to some of our club's shop days and learn some things about your car if you want to do some of the routine stuff yourself, we'd be happy to show you some good tips and easy maintenance things you can do.

You've learned a valuable lesson here, grasshoppa.......the cheapest price is not always the best deal. :?

BTW, I really like your hood stripes!
Hi! My name's Dave!

'09 LB/LB Clubman S - "Max"
89 Mini "Racing Green"
94 SPi Project (The Hot Rod)
boxer
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by boxer »

This car is in Olathe right now at a used car lot. '09 blue MCS Works package.
Attachments
IMAG3548.jpg
IMAG3548.jpg (149.58 KiB) Viewed 3816 times
IMAG3547.jpg
IMAG3547.jpg (139.46 KiB) Viewed 3816 times
2003 Dark Silver Metallic MINI Cooper S.
SilverStreak

Post by SilverStreak »

Thanks for the words of wisdom, Dave. Baron will definitely be my first choice in the future. They told me that they may end up taking to a shop that specializes in European vehicles for this A/C issue, since the Carmax techs had some difficulties with it. I'm thinking that has to be somewhat of an improvement.

Boxer, that one is definitely nice. However, it is a bit out of my price range and from what I can tell, doesn't have a sunroof (that's a must :) ).
Zack
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Zack »

boxer wrote:This car is in Olathe right now at a used car lot. '09 blue MCS Works package.
drool...My heat skipped a beat when I saw that car. Beautiful. :mrgreen:
Bruno - 2022 JCW
Former MINI's
2006 R53 Mini Cooper S
2011 R55 Mini Cooper Clubman
2013 R56 Mini Cooper S JCW
2008 R56 MINI Cooper S JCW
2014 R55 MINI JCW Clubman
2017 F56 MINI Cooper S JCW
IowaM1N1
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by IowaM1N1 »

boxer wrote:This car is in Olathe right now at a used car lot. '09 blue MCS Works package.
Laser Blue and black. Great combination! :-)
Greg
'19 Emerald Grey/Chili Red JCW (F56) <---- Greg's car
'08 Dark Silver/Black Cooper S convertible JCW (R52) <---- Greg's other car
'02 BRG/White Cooper (R50) Iowa plate: M1N1 <-----Judy's car
Des Moines/KC/whatever
Minidrama
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidrama »

I bought my Mini from Carmax as well and I had an air bag sensor go out on it. I have the extended warrenty on my car which comes with a $250 deductiable when I take it to them and 300 deductible if I go to another shop. I knew that they would not be able to fix the car but I still took it to them first. My car ended up at Baron and they gave me another mini for a loner for the week. The long and short of it is that carmax techs will not be able to do much for your car except routine service but if you have an extended warrenty if you take it to carmax first it will still only cost you the 250 instead of the 300 because they (carmax) had to send it out.