MiniDave's MiniShop's Mini-Makeover

General discussions related to MINIs and Minis
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

MiniDave's MiniShop's Mini-Makeover

Post by Minidave »

For those KC Mini Club members who have been to shop days, all this will be familiar, but for those who haven't, maybe some inspiration for your own garage/shop.....

My garage has always been a place to work on cars or other projects, not a "mancave" (I hate that term actually) or an adjunct party room. But after I was retired I brought home a lot of equipment, tool boxes and tools and the place got really crowded, add 20 or so Mini enthusiasts trying to work on their cars, or share a donut and cuppa Joe with those who were and it just became unworkable, so I decided it was time to make a few improvements.

The first and biggest improvement I wanted to make was to find a way to get more space, and since I couldn't make the garage any bigger, that meant some stuff had to go - somewhere. To that end I needed to rethink my tool storage and how things were arranged. I belong to the Garage Journal forum, and I cribbed a lot of ideas from those guys, then tried to fit them into my spaces. My garage is a normal 60's era 2 car, with an extended end, so it's like a garage and a half.

Here are a couple of shots to show you what I was working with...

This is the right side of the shop, there was an old tired built in bench with some pegboard behind it.

This is the other side, I built the wooden workbench and brought the metal one with me from Sandy Eggo. I also put up a lot of shelves, which quickly got loaded down with stuff.

In the middle were my big SS toolbox, behind that was my Craftsman roll cabinet and top box, and on the left is another roll cabinet and my first toolbox - a Snap-On top box.

So, my plan was to get rid of that old kitchen cabinet on the right and move the SS box there, then tear out that old workbench and build in a couple of large roll cabinets to replace the two smaller ones. Along the way I decided it was time to paint the garage, the old drywall was painted a dreary yellow. I also wanted to get rid of the miles of shelves over the wooden and metal benches on the left and all the crap on them too.

Close to the left garage door (viewed from the street) was another small niche filled with a couple of shelf units, my air compressor and small welding table and who knows what else....

So, that was the plan......I started by finding a coupon for Harbor Freight where the roll cabinets I wanted were on sale for $359 each. They're quite well made, with ball bearing slides, drawer liners and made out of pretty heavy metal. I bought two.

Here's a longer view of the shop to show the extra length on the right side.

Next up it was time to remove that old poorly built bench - I thought maybe I could reuse some of the wood, then decided it was better to start fresh - I put the kitchen cabinet and all the remains of the bench on Craigslist "Free" section and both were gone in what seemed like minutes!

Once I stripped it down I found where termites had been at work, but interestingly enough, they seemed to have only attacked the soft pegboard, they hadn't bothered the structure. We had the house treated a few years ago and this was old damage. Once I tore it all out I found the PO hadn't drywalled behind the pegboard or the bench, so rather than just patch what was there I tore out all the bits of drywall so I could get it all even again.

I fixed all the loose insulation, taped up all the holes and got ready for new drywall.

Once the drywall was up and mudded, I started imagining how to build in the roll cabinets....

I decided that if I left them on the casters the bench height would be to high, so I decided to build them into a framework, then build a new top out of 2X 6's, similar to my other wood bench.

So I removed the casters, took out all the drawers and started figuring out how to do it. The floor slopes towards the garage doors at the industry standard of 1/8" per foot, so that meant one end was an inch lower than the other - given the work bench would be about 8' long. More complications. I bought some new 2X4's, and cut a taper on the edge starting at 1 inch on one end and tapering down to nothing on the other, that gave me a level surface to set the cabinets on once it was done, I then added another 2X4 under that to give me a base to build on then build a frame around them. The notches were to clear frame members under the cabinets so they would set the frame of the tool box squarely on the edge of the 2X....

Hi! My name's Dave!

'09 LB/LB Clubman S - "Max"
89 Mini "Racing Green"
94 SPi Project (The Hot Rod)
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Re: MiniDave's MiniShop's Mini-Makeover

Post by Minidave »

Once I had the engineering figured out, it was time to paint. I had also pulled out all the electrical I'd put in before so I could get the drywall up and paint, so that was next. I decided on a two tone (a lot of Garage Journal garages have gone this way and I liked the look) with white uppers and a grey lower wall. I also added base boards as there were none - after all, it's a garage not a living room, but the edges of the drywall were a little ragged, so that trimmed the look up a bit.

And this is what I wound up with, and I decided in for a penny.....so I bought a 4X8 sheet of 3/4" particle board and split it down the middle giving me a nice smooth surface for the next step - I called my local sheet metal shop and had them fabricate a nice stainless top - I had them bend a 6" back splash and a 1" return under the front edge. They welded up the corners and finished it beautifully and it fit perfectly.

I started moving the tools out of my other boxes into these and got ready to start on the other side. This makes it seem like a weekend's work but I'm in almost a month by now.

This is what I started with on the other side....

I didn't want to build shelves again, so I found a good deal on some cabinets and bought two sets.

This corner is coming together nicely.

So, I moved everything out of the other corner, took out the shelves, patched the holes, primed over the yellow paint. I also painted the legs of the wooden workbench grey to match the walls behind it...

I didn't want shelves but I new I was going to need someplace to hang some items, so I built another pegboard.....

Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

I also had to clear up the niche over by the front, near the left door. I bought a couple of wire shelve sets - of course first I had to clear it out and paint, and remove some more wiring the PO had done -poorly. I also ran a new 20a circuit for my compressor so it wouldn't dim the lights and trip the breaker - that involved a couple of new breakers in the electrical panel and of course new heavier wire, receptacle and so on. Once you start one of these projects there's just no stopping till you do everything!

Once I got it all reorganized it looked like this....

This is the way it all turned out....

It's amazing how what seems like so much room becomes so small with only a couple of MINIs and 15 or so guys in it!

Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
nine5raptor
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by nine5raptor »

Very nice! You had mentioned a remodel, but I didn't realize all of the work that went into it. Turned out very well! :chili:
2010 MCS CR/W with some custom vinyl, JCW sport suspension (minus FSB), CNT cat back, Add a brake, Alta AP, Devil's Own H2O/Meth Injection, random other little stuff, and some good ol' mud flaps
imabyter
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by imabyter »

Garage looks awesome and so roomy now it is like you added an addition!

Very nice work Dave. And we are so lucky that you are willing to share it with us.
Michael B (although the MINI is Carole's toy I still get to fix and maintain it)
Luna is an '06 Cooper S Space Blue with Silver top. Sport Package, Premium Package, Euro Leather Package. Now with Way Motors 15% pulley kit!
boxer
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by boxer »

Looks great Dave. Nice work!
2003 Dark Silver Metallic MINI Cooper S.
kgreen66
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by kgreen66 »

Nice work! Looks awesome!
Hi! I'm Keith!
R53 2006 Chili Red MCS
16% Pulley / DDM CAI
Milltek Cat Back Exhaust
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

(in his best Elvis voice)

Why, thank you, thankyuverymuch...... :D

BTW, does someone belong to this?

Oh, and Mark - the box from TMS arrived this morning, but I didn't have time to open it before school.....
Attachments
IMG_2345R.jpg
IMG_2345R.jpg (151.13 KiB) Viewed 24981 times
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
IowaM1N1
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by IowaM1N1 »

Minidave wrote: BTW, does someone belong to this?
I think we figured out that was Max's mug.
Greg
'19 Emerald Grey/Chili Red JCW (F56) <---- Greg's car
'08 Dark Silver/Black Cooper S convertible JCW (R52) <---- Greg's other car
'02 BRG/White Cooper (R50) Iowa plate: M1N1 <-----Judy's car
Des Moines/KC/whatever
MiniMax
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by MiniMax »

That's were I left that mug. Dave, are you going to the Toys for Tots event next month? I think I will join the group there. Can you bring it then? BTW, new plugs are great. Runs smooth.

MiniMax
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

Max, I probably will not be at that event, why don't you just drop by some day on your way home from work or something, I can leave it on the porch or you can call and let me know you're on the way.
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
matti the mini
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by matti the mini »

that looks very nice!
Bentley

Gertti - MCS '13 - BRG2, JCW Tuner Package, and more!

formerly:
Matti - MCS '004- BRG, premium, sport, cold, bonnet stripes, boot stripes, rally lights, window tint, nav - british voice mod, Helix CAI and 15% reduction pully, euro parcel shelf
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

Thanks Bentley, and to all who've commented......

Watch this space, exciting news coming! :mrgreen:
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

This just in!

I'll get a car on there tomorrow, my back is done for tonight.....
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
davester
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by davester »

Yippie!!! Now that's a great addition Minidave. :D
2015 F56 S hatchback-Electric Blue/Black, Cold Weather Package,Premium Package, Sport Package and a lot of other crap. "BRUISER"

They call me David
Former MINI's
2004 R53 "Stubby"
2012 R58 Coupe "Deuce"
BLUGOOSE
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by BLUGOOSE »

David I thought we were going to take up some sort of coll :chugchug: :bangbang: ection on this. That's fantastic now we're like a real garage :cheers:
2005 MCS Hyper Blue, auto, chrono, cold, H/K, roof, Milltek Sport, DDMWorks CAI, M7 Strut Plate,"Todd Graphics",R-90s
Zack
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Zack »

A lift. Awesome. That'll make getting under the car's lots easier.
Bruno - 2022 JCW
Former MINI's
2006 R53 Mini Cooper S
2011 R55 Mini Cooper Clubman
2013 R56 Mini Cooper S JCW
2008 R56 MINI Cooper S JCW
2014 R55 MINI JCW Clubman
2017 F56 MINI Cooper S JCW
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

Well, it will make getting under one car easier anyway! :mrgreen:

Frank, anyone who wants to contribute $$$$ to improving my shop is more than welcome to do so! All donations will be gratefully accepted.

I need a new garage floor and driveway, think we could get enough donations to do that? :lol:
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
boxer
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by boxer »

Hope you don't need a city permit to operate a repair shop. :ds: :?
2003 Dark Silver Metallic MINI Cooper S.
Zack
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Zack »

Minidave wrote:Well, it will make getting under one car easier anyway! :mrgreen:

Frank, anyone who wants to contribute $$$$ to improving my shop is more than welcome to do so! All donations will be gratefully accepted.

I need a new garage floor and driveway, think we could get enough donations to do that? :lol:
Ever thought of that coating system you can get for garage floors?
Bruno - 2022 JCW
Former MINI's
2006 R53 Mini Cooper S
2011 R55 Mini Cooper Clubman
2013 R56 Mini Cooper S JCW
2008 R56 MINI Cooper S JCW
2014 R55 MINI JCW Clubman
2017 F56 MINI Cooper S JCW
BLUGOOSE
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by BLUGOOSE »

David what are the specs on the lift? It looks pretty substantial.
2005 MCS Hyper Blue, auto, chrono, cold, H/K, roof, Milltek Sport, DDMWorks CAI, M7 Strut Plate,"Todd Graphics",R-90s
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

@ BlueGoose.....The lift will lift up to 6,000 lbs, more than enough for anything I work on!

@Boxer......I don't need a permit because I'm not charging anyone anything. I didn't buy it so I could go into business working on cars, but just for my own and my friend's (club members) cars.

@Zack......coating would be lovely, but I'd have to fix the cracked, broken concrete first - mucho dinero.....and those coatings are expensive too - probably $5 sq/ft. With over 600 sq ft it would be plenty spendy. Actually, I'd be quite happy with a smooth, sealed concrete floor.

I put the Jag on the lift tonight and I'm a little bummed, I may have to make some lifting bars or something to make it work. On our MINIs the lifting points are on the outer edge of the car, on the Jag they're more towards the middle and the pads won't work there. I'll figure something out tho.....MINIs fit perfectly.

BTW, I drove the Jag up to school today to show the kids how things were done in the 60's and true to it's heritage, it dribbled coolant all over the shop floor - the heater valve (which hadn't been used in a dog's age since I don't usually drive it in the winter) leaked when I turned it on this morning on the drive to school and I didn't know it till I parked in the shop. Oh well....all I had to do was close the valve and it didn't leak any further. New ones aren't that dear so I'll get one headed my way next week. It runs nice and normal temps on these cold days, that's nice anyway.....
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

BTW, MINIs fit on the lifter upper perfectly!

Plenty of room underneath to work on the engine/transmichigan too

Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
imabyter
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by imabyter »

Wow Dave, that looks awesome!! I want one. I've wondered how those scissors type jacks would be to work with. May need to be my Christmas present to myself!
Michael B (although the MINI is Carole's toy I still get to fix and maintain it)
Luna is an '06 Cooper S Space Blue with Silver top. Sport Package, Premium Package, Euro Leather Package. Now with Way Motors 15% pulley kit!
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

It's the right decision for my garage, since I have such limited headroom and sideroom.

Another choice (and one I'd consider strongly if I had more room) is a MaxJack. It's a two post lift that's moveable for storage, it only raises about 4 ft so it works well for limited height garages, and has the added benefit of leaving the entire bottom of the car open for work. They run about $2K and are portable too. One of the coolest things about these is they both run on 120V, so you don't need to wire a special circuit in for them.

Here's a link....http://www.summitracing.com/parts/dmr-1 ... Qgodwx4Arw

Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"