Class Action notice for CVTs

General discussions related to MINIs and Minis
ragtopday Johnna
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Class Action notice for CVTs

Post by ragtopday Johnna »

Did anyone else get the CVT Class Action notice this week?

If I read it right, I won't qualify since mine is still fine (knock on wood). Looks like $4,100 is the max payout.
Johnna--BMPR CR '05 Chili Red JustaCVT, JCW Sound Kit #D344, JCW BBK, aFe cai, M7 Under Strut System, strut tower plates, Sparkly wheel arches, a little chrome. Garage-sharing w/ '12 Goodwood MCS #372, '06 MCS "Jack" and MiniX4's classic, Moxie.
mcconned
MINIAC
MINIAC

Re: Class Action notice for CVTs

Post by mcconned »

$4.050 to the lawyers and $50 to the owners, right? ;)
Dan McConnell
SCCA-Sports Car Club of America.
ragtopday Johnna
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

mcconned wrote:$4.050 to the lawyers and $50 to the owners, right? ;)
:lol: :lol:

No, actually $4,100 to the owner. Some have paid $7k or $8k to have the CVT replaced when it failed, so I'm not sure where that figure comes from. There was also a reimbursement offered to former owners who have sold their cars after the CVT failed. I was hoping for an offer of replacement when/if it does fail, but must say this is the most miles I've had on a car with no transmission problems. (Again, knock on wood.)
Johnna--BMPR CR '05 Chili Red JustaCVT, JCW Sound Kit #D344, JCW BBK, aFe cai, M7 Under Strut System, strut tower plates, Sparkly wheel arches, a little chrome. Garage-sharing w/ '12 Goodwood MCS #372, '06 MCS "Jack" and MiniX4's classic, Moxie.
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

Didn't they extend the warranty to 150K?

I thought the $4100 was to folks who'd paid out of pocket to someplace other than a MINI dealer, and $2000 to those who had traded it in with a bad tranny and took a loss because of it.

I thought they were reimbursing people who'd had it done at a dealer for out of pocket, not a set amount. I expect someone who paid $6-9K to have their transmission replaced at a dealer would welcome any help tho.....
Hi! My name's Dave!

'09 LB/LB Clubman S - "Max"
89 Mini "Racing Green"
94 SPi Project (The Hot Rod)
ragtopday Johnna
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

The settlement does include reimbursement up to 150,000 miles. For instance, if you had 150,000 miles on an 8 year old car, you would qualify for 12.5% of your out-of-pocket expenses for repair or replacement at an authorized MINI or BMW dealership.

If you had repairs at a third party repair facility within 8 years/150,000 miles, $4,100 is the 100% amount. So a 6 year old car with 75,000 miles would get 55% of $4,100.

If you sold a MINI with a failed CVT for $4,000 or less prior to the effective date of the settlement, you can get up to $2,000. There's also some info about the parts warranty being extended, about joining the class action suit if you had a CVT replaced under warranty and then had the replacement fail.
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

Oh, I did not know it was pro-rated.....
Hi! My name's Dave!

'09 LB/LB Clubman S - "Max"
89 Mini "Racing Green"
94 SPi Project (The Hot Rod)
ragtopday Johnna
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Minidave wrote:Oh, I did not know it was pro-rated.....
I hadn't noticed that until I re-read it today. There's a fancy chart. Also, if I read this right (artist not a lawyer), the attorneys in the case are getting $1.9 million plus $2,000 per person who settles. The attorneys stand to make more per person than the MINI owners do.
mcconned
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by mcconned »

Hence, my earlier cynical past. :)
Actually, this settlement beats other class action suits I've seen.
Dan McConnell
SCCA-Sports Car Club of America.