R56S Idle

General discussions related to MINIs and Minis
nine5raptor
MINIAC
MINIAC

R56S Idle

Post by nine5raptor »

For the last few weeks (since Nov 15th) it seemed to me that my idle was high. Ive had the car for 5 months now and had not paid attention to where the idle sat. I installed a downpipe back exhaust ( on the 15th of Nov) and now can hear it slightly at idle. It sits at 800 +/- 20 rpm and kinda hunts around in concert with the timing/afr. I had looked around online but didn't find much info about what it should be. When I went to work this morning it was the same story.

This evening when I left work, it just sounded better and so I flipped over to RPM on Torque and low and behold, it was sitting right on 700 +15/-5 or so RPM. As far as I can tell, I didn't do anything different but wear my official MINI hat.

Some good juju going on? Something right itself? Do I have a leak in my intake? MAF issue?

Thanks for any help!
Chris
2010 MCS CR/W with some custom vinyl, JCW sport suspension (minus FSB), CNT cat back, Add a brake, Alta AP, Devil's Own H2O/Meth Injection, random other little stuff, and some good ol' mud flaps
MiniManiac
MINIAC
MINIAC

Re: R56S Idle

Post by MiniManiac »

When I put on a new down pipe, it set off my CEL. They code was the O2 sensor was reading to much air! LOL. I got tired of it so I switched back to stock.
Seth
08 MCS - JCW
1974/1993 Classic Mini - 70 WHP!
nine5raptor
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by nine5raptor »

So, today.

Went to go pick up some lunch. Started her up and got a half engine light, 1100 rpm, codes P1638, P1639 (stuck throttle valve). Turned off the car and restarted. Half engine light was gone. Idle was at 900 rpm. Codes still present. Cleared the codes and went to go get lunch. When I got back idle was back down to 700. Maybe nothing to worry about. Maybe it was frozen condensation near the throttle body. Maybe the cold threw it off. We shall see how she does. This car has me confused. And Baron just sent out the email with December deals. That paceman all4 looks pretty sweet.
2010 MCS CR/W with some custom vinyl, JCW sport suspension (minus FSB), CNT cat back, Add a brake, Alta AP, Devil's Own H2O/Meth Injection, random other little stuff, and some good ol' mud flaps
nine5raptor
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by nine5raptor »

MiniManiac wrote:When I put on a new down pipe, it set off my CEL. They code was the O2 sensor was reading to much air! LOL. I got tired of it so I switched back to stock.
Did you get rid of the downpipe? I may go that route eventually.
MiniManiac
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by MiniManiac »

nine5raptor wrote:
MiniManiac wrote:When I put on a new down pipe, it set off my CEL. They code was the O2 sensor was reading to much air! LOL. I got tired of it so I switched back to stock.
Did you get rid of the downpipe? I may go that route eventually.
Yes. I was tired of the CEL.
Seth
08 MCS - JCW
1974/1993 Classic Mini - 70 WHP!
Counterfit_Mini
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Counterfit_Mini »

nine5raptor wrote:So, today.

Went to go pick up some lunch. Started her up and got a half engine light, 1100 rpm, codes P1638, P1639 (stuck throttle valve). Turned off the car and restarted. Half engine light was gone. Idle was at 900 rpm. Codes still present. Cleared the codes and went to go get lunch. When I got back idle was back down to 700. Maybe nothing to worry about. Maybe it was frozen condensation near the throttle body. Maybe the cold threw it off. We shall see how she does. This car has me confused. And Baron just sent out the email with December deals. That paceman all4 looks pretty sweet.
That sounds like the issue Mini had where ice was forming in the intake.... My Mini had it and they replaced the intake. If it's not under warranty the new one is like $800 if I remember right....
Hi my name's Stephanie...
Max- 2024 Mini Cooper S All4 Clubman
Past Mini's:
2009 MCS
1977 Leyland Mini 1000
nine5raptor
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by nine5raptor »

Counterfit_Mini wrote:
nine5raptor wrote:So, today.

That sounds like the issue Mini had where ice was forming in the intake.... My Mini had it and they replaced the intake. If it's not under warranty the new one is like $800 if I remember right....
Thanks for the lead! I'll check into it. If it throws the codes again, I will take it Baron. I am under warranty through April.