clay bar

General discussions related to MINIs and Minis
Glasspony
MINIAC
MINIAC

clay bar

Post by Glasspony »

I am going to claybar my Clubman soon. What should I use on it after I claybar it
IowaM1N1
MINIAC
MINIAC

Re: clay bar

Post by IowaM1N1 »

I clay bar only after thoroughly washing the car with a good quality car wash soap to get the surface as clean as possible.

Clay barring then removes the remaining contaminants on the paint surface (fine grit, etc.) and gets the paint ready for polishing and waxing. I use a detailing spray to clay bar to ensure I have a slick enough surface to keep the clay moving smoothly across the paint.

Depending on paint finish quality, I would either go to a very mild polish compound to remove any light scratches, then on to a good wax or sealant after that.

Griots does a nice job explaining their ideas on how to best clean, polish, and wax in their handbook. Free online version:
http://www.griotsgarage.com/category/pr ... do?nType=3

It is a bit cold for this type of work for me. I prefer Spring or Fall with milder temps in the 60s or 70s. But I don't have a heated garage, which would make a difference if you can get the sheet metal nice and warm.
Greg
'19 Emerald Grey/Chili Red JCW (F56) <---- Greg's car
'08 Dark Silver/Black Cooper S convertible JCW (R52) <---- Greg's other car
'02 BRG/White Cooper (R50) Iowa plate: M1N1 <-----Judy's car
Des Moines/KC/whatever
Glasspony
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Glasspony »

We are presently living in florida, so the temp is not a problem. We do plan on moving to KC in the next few months. Our house down here goes on the market in Feb. Looking forward to meeting some MINIacs and participating in some great MINI drives and gatherings. Have been wondering about the Croftgate products.

Wayne Whitcomb
Nickory--2011 R55 Hampton edition---Reef Blue Metalic
Sgr. Pepper--2010 R57 Laurel edition
IowaM1N1
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by IowaM1N1 »

Glasspony wrote:We are presently living in florida, so the temp is not a problem. We do plan on moving to KC in the next few months. Our house down here goes on the market in Feb. Looking forward to meeting some MINIacs and participating in some great MINI drives and gatherings. Have been wondering about the Croftgate products.

Wayne Whitcomb
Nickory--2011 R55 Hampton edition---Reef Blue Metalic
Sgr. Pepper--2010 R57 Laurel edition
Sorry, forgot you are in FL!

No experience with Croftgate. Been sticking with Griots Garage for the last 15 years or so and have been very happy with the results.
Greg
'19 Emerald Grey/Chili Red JCW (F56) <---- Greg's car
'08 Dark Silver/Black Cooper S convertible JCW (R52) <---- Greg's other car
'02 BRG/White Cooper (R50) Iowa plate: M1N1 <-----Judy's car
Des Moines/KC/whatever
SWT CHI

Post by SWT CHI »

I just went through this exercise about a month ago, so I'll provide you my 2c. I did two cars about a month ago: my chili red R53 and my wife's metallic black Matrix X-RS.

Rather than Griot's, Mother's, etc... I decided to use new school products: http://www.ZotWave.com; and http://www.DodoJuice.com products available through http://www.AutoGeek.com I did also purchase some Bouncers wax that I want to try on metallic paint this spring.

Google "AutoGeek coupons" and likely you'll find codes for %-off items/total. I found 30% of DJ products with the coupon code "DODO30" and I got a free Auto Geek bag for all of my detail supplies. They have a huge selection of polishers and how-to-do articles, also. You can Google lots of U-tube and DIY articles to sort you out too. The coupon code "DODO30" still works, btw!

Check ZotWave's website for shopping, free $hipping threshold. Most slippery detail spray I've ever used and goes to task w/ their clay. Really dig their clay/detail spray combo. Enough clay in their package for 4-6 cars. I also like their Z-Black gel for the tires that lasts for 2-3 weeks with two applications of. The Protek-Matte-Z leaves no greasy residue, no dust accumulation days later. It's awesome. The Glas-Z cleaner removes the gunk and leaves the glass and mirrors streak free. I also use their Leather-Z cleaner and Leather-Z conditioner. I think their prices are good, too. Easy to hit the free shipping threshold. Arrives in two days.

A dude named Zach from Zotwave called me to let me know they changed the size of the clay bar package (it's 20 g larger, and two pieces). He also threw in some goodies: an extra bottle of detail spray, two bottles of air freshener, some bon-bons, and coupon codes to share with all of my friends for 25% off on their website. Coupon code = "wheels" Super cool small-business owner in Nebraska to step forward and call. I would have never known, it didn't make a diff to me, but seriously... hooked a customer with concierge-like service.

DJ has a couple of shampoos that I've tried. The Sour Power is mild, and a ton of suds. One bucket with 2-3 oz, recharged the bucket a couple of times with the hose, will do two cars no sweat. The Basics-of-Bling soap is really gentle for the black paint. I think they have a wax-removing soap, too, that would complement the clay bar. I used the SuperNatural Micro-Prime for my polishing step, and followed it with a soft wax layer and a hard wax layer. Both by hand. You can make your own DJ flavor choices here. Diamond White or the SuperNatural as a top coat makes anything pop. Personally, I prefer the Red Mist Detailer spray because it takes me someplace that provides me with a big smile; and it makes your ride look freakin' awesome to your neighbor after watching you work out that driveway wash!

And, this stuff is way mo betta than Rain-X... http://www.aquapel.com/

Don't neglect a plethora of quality microfiber towels. And I prefer the two-bucket wash method, with the bucket screens.
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

Whew! Lots of good info there Mark!

We've been talking about holding a "detailing" shop day for a while now, looks like we have a prime candidate to lead it! :twisted:
Hi! My name's Dave!

'09 LB/LB Clubman S - "Max"
89 Mini "Racing Green"
94 SPi Project (The Hot Rod)
imabyter
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by imabyter »

All Zaino Products, all the time. Except for compounding, then I go to Grio's...only because Zaino does not make compounding products.

Just sayin :)
Michael B (although the MINI is Carole's toy I still get to fix and maintain it)
Luna is an '06 Cooper S Space Blue with Silver top. Sport Package, Premium Package, Euro Leather Package. Now with Way Motors 15% pulley kit!
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

Uh-oh.....wax wars!

Wax on! Wax off! Ha! :lol:
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
SWT CHI

Post by SWT CHI »

Minidave wrote:Whew! Lots of good info there Mark!

We've been talking about holding a "detailing" shop day for a while now, looks like we have a prime candidate to lead it! :twisted:
Like I said, I'm new school. The only thing I prefer old school is punk rock: Reagan still sucks!

Mid-February at DIY Olathe would be a great option because it's heated and we could get a lot of people in there. Maybe rent two bays for the day. Would two cars fit in one bay for detailing sake? Shade is imperative.

The only piece I am missing is an orbital polisher. If someone has one and wants to show up with one, bring it. I've never had the opportunity to use a polisher, but I do my inner-Mr. Miagi by hand. Always.

I've heard there is a dude in Gardner with a mobile detailing business that owned/may still own a MINI; and he'd be another good candidate to bring in if anyone knows who I'm talking about.

BTW, Baron charges ~$1995 for a complete detail: wash, clay, wash, polish, wax, wax, wash + interior shampoo and dress + exterior dress. I can do my car in 6 hours with about $40-50 in products. This leaves a lot of beer money for more mods!
SilverStreak

Post by SilverStreak »

SWT CHI wrote:BTW, Baron charges ~$1995 for a complete detail
What?!?!? :shock: Please tell me that's a typo, or missing a decimal, or something.
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

I think it's $195.....I think he got an extra "9" in there.....
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
MiniManiac
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by MiniManiac »

Minidave wrote:I think it's $195.....I think he got an extra "9" in there.....
I hope so. 6 hours of work or pay someone else 195 bucks.....hmmmmm......me thinks it may be worth the $195 :)
Seth
08 MCS - JCW
1974/1993 Classic Mini - 70 WHP!
nine5raptor
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by nine5raptor »

Think they would do my Envoy XL for that price?? That thing is a lot of sheet metal to go over!
2010 MCS CR/W with some custom vinyl, JCW sport suspension (minus FSB), CNT cat back, Add a brake, Alta AP, Devil's Own H2O/Meth Injection, random other little stuff, and some good ol' mud flaps
SWT CHI

Post by SWT CHI »

SWT CHI wrote:
Minidave wrote:Whew! Lots of good info there Mark!

Like I said, I'm new school. The only thing I prefer old school is punk rock: Reagan still sucks!

Mid-February at DIY Olathe would be a great option because it's heated and we could get a lot of people in there. Maybe rent two bays for the day. Would two cars fit in one bay for detailing sake? Shade is imperative.

The only piece I am missing is an orbital polisher. If someone has one and wants to show up with one, bring it. I've never had the opportunity to use a polisher, but I do my inner-Mr. Miagi by hand. Always.

I've heard there is a dude in Gardner with a mobile detailing business that owned/may still own a MINI; and he'd be another good candidate to bring in if anyone knows who I'm talking about.

BTW, Baron charges ~$1995 for a complete detail: wash, clay, wash, polish, wax, wax, wash + interior shampoo and dress + exterior dress. I can do my car in 6 hours with about $40-50 in products. This leaves a lot of beer money for more mods!
Does anyone know Andy Summers, New Nickel Detailing?
WildThang

Post by WildThang »

Andy was at the 2012 MINIs in The Market in KC. I met him, and his MINI was very sharp looking. I have his card somewheres...

That price for a full detailing job at Baron's is on the money. Same price at the Omaha MINI dealer also. Much of the cost is labor. This would include carpet shampooing interiors and trunks, full engine dressing, wash, wax, and detailing rims, tires, seats and all upholstery. Windows inside and out, and the entire dashboard including dash vents and all those tiny edges. Dealership's rates for detailing is high due to labor I think. There are places that will detail for less, and I would ask questions like what products are being used, and to see previous work, etc.

I too use Dodo Juice waxes. They have some of the new type waxes with silicone in there, but I prefer the carnuba paste waxes. The waxes are hand made, hand poured, and often hand labeled in the jars. Most of Dodo Juice's waxes have an aroma to them also. Like the blue wax, has a blueberry smell to it, others smell like bubblegum, or watermelon...it's fun. Some of their waxes are color charged, meaning they have a blue wax for blue painted cars, a red one for reds...etc. So you get a little extra pop of color that other waxes don't give. They make hard waxes and soft waxes. The hard ones are extremely durable and a bit harder to apply. The soft waxes go on top of the hard waxes for a layering of waxes. Road kill bugs rinse off much easier with a few layers of DJ on. All DJ waxes give a 'wet look' shine. Which is not super shiney, or super bright. And yeah, I know the silicone waxes apply easier and faster, and they have glazes for them and detail sprays, but I like using my hands with carnuba waxes. Dodo Juice has three lines of products, their mainstay and original stuff is in the Dodo Juice line, their bulk/budget products are the Bling line, and top of the line would be called SuperNatural. I use products from each line. It is hard to get here in the USA because it's made in the UK. Autogeek.com and Detailer's Image are US dealers for DJ lines. But some of the stuff I have shipped over because I can't find it in the US stores. From leather cleaners, washing mitts, microfiber towels, waxes, sealants, metal polishing kits, all purpose cleaner, tire gel, tire spray, etc.

Getting a good shine that you like comes down to prepping the surface you want shiney. That means clay bar time, and maybe some buffing to remove swirls, hazing, or pollution effects. All vehicles since the late 1990s have clear coat over the paint. If you get that clear coat looking great before you wax...you'll see a huge difference after you're all done. Clay bars come in different compounds now also, like fine, medium, and hard. Fine are for polishing out where you hit a spot with hard grit. I use the medium grits for general claying, and I'm still learning about the fine grits. I use a dual action Flex polisher to buff out swirls and smooth road rash down. Buffing is a matter of the right polishing compounds to quickly remove damage while using the right polishing/cutting pads. It's not hard, and with a dual action polisher your chances of ruining your paint job is pretty low.

Zotwave is out of Omaha. I found out about them three years ago attending the spring car shows in KC, Des Moines and Omaha. They had a booth at every show, and they had their products on winning show cars at every stop. I spent a few minutes discussing their products with them at every show. Got some free samples so I tried them out. Really impressive stuff, and like Mark mentioned, their service is outstanding. They'll answer your questions via email or phone. Shipping is really quick when I order, and they always send samples of stuff I haven't tried yet. Most of their products use silicone. They do have a carnuba only wax, a hard paste wax that really has a super shiney bright look to it. My favorite that they have is Glosswave, which is a detailer spray that works very well to wet the car with while you're using clay bars. All clay bars are not equal. Zotwaves clay bars are outstanding in value and performance. You get more clay, and a better clay.

One more tip: buy the best microfiber you can find. High thread counts mean denser and softer microfiber. And don't use dish soap on your MINI...please...it's really hard on clear coats, doesn't rinse well with cool water which then creates a layer, which hazes, which refuses to let waxes or protectants bond to the paint.

I enjoyed detailing both our MINIs.

http://www.dodojuice.com/ The forums there are pretty informative

https://www.supernaturalcarcare.com/

http://www.detailedimage.com/Auto-Detailing-Guide/ Some great information here!