Plasti-dipped entire Car

General discussions related to MINIs and Minis
Zack
MINIAC
MINIAC

Plasti-dipped entire Car

Post by Zack »

I have seen some interesting stuff on this. I think it might be cool to get my car plast-dipped. Just a thought. It's cheaper than vinyl. What do you all think of plasti-dipping your car?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vvkq-qyY9aY
Bruno - 2022 JCW
Former MINI's
2006 R53 Mini Cooper S
2011 R55 Mini Cooper Clubman
2013 R56 Mini Cooper S JCW
2008 R56 MINI Cooper S JCW
2014 R55 MINI JCW Clubman
2017 F56 MINI Cooper S JCW
MiniManiac
MINIAC
MINIAC

Re: Plasti-dipped entire Car

Post by MiniManiac »

I think it is a great idea. I think you should do it. Make sure to include your windshield or it will look weird.
Seth
08 MCS - JCW
1974/1993 Classic Mini - 70 WHP!
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

I didn't know they were painting whole cars with it.....if you could color change a car for $300 that would be pretty interesting....especially since if you decide you don't like it a year later all you have to do is peel it off. I know a few people have done their roofs in the past using spray cans and the results were mixed, it's hard to get it to lay down smoothly and evenly with spray cans.

Have you seen what the stuff looks and feels like when it's on the car? It's kinda gross, to me.......

But that Audi looked pretty good, didn't it?

What color are you thinking, Zack?

Is there a place in KC that does this or would it be a DIY operation? It looked like they had a specialized sprayer to apply it on that white S5.
Hi! My name's Dave!

'09 LB/LB Clubman S - "Max"
89 Mini "Racing Green"
94 SPi Project (The Hot Rod)
MiniManiac
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by MiniManiac »

All sarcasm and joking aside, I have seen it in person and it doesn't look that good. However, if you have a professional shop do it for you, then I it will look better than the examples I saw (home garage stuff) but it is still has it flaws. A professional wrap looks much better even with its flaws.
Seth
08 MCS - JCW
Zack
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Zack »

Minidave wrote:I didn't know they were painting whole cars with it.....if you could color change a car for $300 that would be pretty interesting....especially since if you decide you don't like it a year later all you have to do is peel it off. I know a few people have done their roofs in the past using spray cans and the results were mixed, it's hard to get it to lay down smoothly and evenly with spray cans.

Have you seen what the stuff looks and feels like when it's on the car? It's kinda gross, to me.......

But that Audi looked pretty good, didn't it?

What color are you thinking, Zack?

Is there a place in KC that does this or would it be a DIY operation? It looked like they had a specialized sprayer to apply it on that white S5.
There is a professional shop in Kansas. It's in Wichita though so I may not bother. If I did I would probably give a graphite gray a try. You can plasti-dip your wheels too. The shops usually do a better job because they treat it like painting a car rather than rattle canning in the driveway.
Bruno - 2022 JCW
Former MINI's
2006 R53 Mini Cooper S
2011 R55 Mini Cooper Clubman
2013 R56 Mini Cooper S JCW
2008 R56 MINI Cooper S JCW
2014 R55 MINI JCW Clubman
2017 F56 MINI Cooper S JCW
MiniManiac
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by MiniManiac »

You could try the hood to give it some offset. I am been thinking about putting a carbon fiber wrap on my hood or even a satin black.
Seth
08 MCS - JCW
nine5raptor
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by nine5raptor »

I would actually like to try it on my wheels with the glossifier. Maybe once it warms up.
2010 MCS CR/W with some custom vinyl, JCW sport suspension (minus FSB), CNT cat back, Add a brake, Alta AP, Devil's Own H2O/Meth Injection, random other little stuff, and some good ol' mud flaps
MiniManiac
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by MiniManiac »

nine5raptor wrote:I would actually like to try it on my wheels with the glossifier. Maybe once it warms up.
Let me know how that works for you. I am changing my summer wheels from white to black. It will be paint or powder coating but the plasti dip has me intrigued.
Seth
08 MCS - JCW
nine5raptor
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by nine5raptor »

What's it cost to paint/powder coat a set? I was interested in that fact that it is removable and can be touched up at home (unlike powder coat).
2010 MCS CR/W with some custom vinyl, JCW sport suspension (minus FSB), CNT cat back, Add a brake, Alta AP, Devil's Own H2O/Meth Injection, random other little stuff, and some good ol' mud flaps
MiniManiac
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by MiniManiac »

nine5raptor wrote:What's it cost to paint/powder coat a set? I was interested in that fact that it is removable and can be touched up at home (unlike powder coat).
I haven't received any quotes out here but I had my set done in Colorado for 75 per wheel.
Seth
08 MCS - JCW
Glasspony
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Glasspony »

saw a MINI that had been entirely plastidipped, in fact I have seen 2 of them here in Florida. If you do not do a super smooth job with even coats (which they did not do) it looks like crap. 8)
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

Yep, but they've developed a special paint gun now that can lay down a good even coat, and the colors and finishes available are interesting.
Hi! My name's Dave!

'09 LB/LB Clubman S - "Max"
89 Mini "Racing Green"
94 SPi Project (The Hot Rod)