MINI Extended Motorer Protection / Extended Maintenance

General discussions related to MINIs and Minis
nine5raptor
MINIAC
MINIAC

MINI Extended Motorer Protection / Extended Maintenance

Post by nine5raptor »

Looking at options for my 2010. Warranty is up in April. Car is also eligible for extended Maintenance (to go to April 2016). Looking at possibly extending the Warranty (XL version) to 7yr/70k or 7yr/100k.

Anyone have experience with these? Warranty is ~$3k. Maintenance is ~$2k.

I have been very happy with the service at Baron so far for warranty work and oil changes. I can do most things myself except if I need a bunch of specialty tools. I have done suspension lifts (Jeeps), clutch replacements (Eagle, Ford), and Turbo/Intercooler/Exhaust (Eagle) at home for reference.

Extended Maintenance would cover 1 clutch replacement (currently has 45k on the clutch). I don't have a feel for costs I should expect over the next few years. Parts for these cars are more expensive, but would I even break even?

Thanks for any inputs/experiences.
Chris
2010 MCS CR/W with some custom vinyl, JCW sport suspension (minus FSB), CNT cat back, Add a brake, Alta AP, Devil's Own H2O/Meth Injection, random other little stuff, and some good ol' mud flaps
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Re: MINI Extended Motorer Protection / Extended Maintenance

Post by Minidave »

I think I'd keep my $5 grand in my pocket and do my own work, whatever work I can't or don't want to do will doubtfully add up to $5K.

Just my 2¢ and worth everything you paid for it! :mrgreen:

Don't forget we have a terrific asset available to us in the DIY shop in Olathe, where if you need to get a car up in the air to do some work, you can rent a lift very reasonably and they also supply tools and special equipment. Nothing like having a warm/cool well lit dry place with a lift to work on your car!
Hi! My name's Dave!

'09 LB/LB Clubman S - "Max"
89 Mini "Racing Green"
94 SPi Project (The Hot Rod)
nine5raptor
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by nine5raptor »

I don't know why this has me spooked, but it does. Too many stories out there on the 'net I guess.

Maybe it's because I replaced a perfectly reliable (but boring) car with this one. :shock:

I've never had a car under warranty before. Kinda nice to be able to drop it off and get things taken care of. :D
2010 MCS CR/W with some custom vinyl, JCW sport suspension (minus FSB), CNT cat back, Add a brake, Alta AP, Devil's Own H2O/Meth Injection, random other little stuff, and some good ol' mud flaps
Zack
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Zack »

nine5raptor wrote:I don't know why this has me spooked, but it does. Too many stories out there on the 'net I guess.

Maybe it's because I replaced a perfectly reliable (but boring) car with this one. :shock:

I've never had a car under warranty before. Kinda nice to be able to drop it off and get things taken care of. :D
I still have never had a car under warranty. I thoroughly trust Dave's advice. And as far as reliability goes, I think Mini's are very reliable. The only real expense is that comparable to domestics, the parts are expensive. But that comes with the territory of owning a European car.
Bruno - 2022 JCW
Former MINI's
2006 R53 Mini Cooper S
2011 R55 Mini Cooper Clubman
2013 R56 Mini Cooper S JCW
2008 R56 MINI Cooper S JCW
2014 R55 MINI JCW Clubman
2017 F56 MINI Cooper S JCW
MiniManiac
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by MiniManiac »

I am a no extra warranty type of person. Do what makes you comfortable but I never get the extended warranties.
Seth
08 MCS - JCW
1974/1993 Classic Mini - 70 WHP!