Getting new wheels this year (UPDATE)

General discussions related to MINIs and Minis
Zack
MINIAC
MINIAC

Re: Getting new wheels this year (UPDATE)

Post by Zack »

MiniManiac wrote:
Zackattack28 wrote: That would essentially be the situation. Two sets of all-seasons. Two different sets of wheels. I would use the ASA's on the Continentals in the winter.
I think you are missing an opportunity to run summer tires. Keep the all seasons for the winter and buy some sticky summer tires. I don't understand why with two sets of wheels that you are going to run the same type of tire.
I might be missing an opportunity but I will see what happens. Not getting the tires until next month.
Bruno - 2022 JCW
Former MINI's
2006 R53 Mini Cooper S
2011 R55 Mini Cooper Clubman
2013 R56 Mini Cooper S JCW
2008 R56 MINI Cooper S JCW
2014 R55 MINI JCW Clubman
2017 F56 MINI Cooper S JCW
MiniManiac
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by MiniManiac »

Zackattack28 wrote:
MiniManiac wrote:
Zackattack28 wrote: That would essentially be the situation. Two sets of all-seasons. Two different sets of wheels. I would use the ASA's on the Continentals in the winter.
I think you are missing an opportunity to run summer tires. Keep the all seasons for the winter and buy some sticky summer tires. I don't understand why with two sets of wheels that you are going to run the same type of tire.
I might be missing an opportunity but I will see what happens. Not getting the tires until next month.
Fair enough. Either way, you will enjoy it.
Seth
08 MCS - JCW
1974/1993 Classic Mini - 70 WHP!
WildThang

Post by WildThang »

Stock rims a heavy and solid. They can take a big ole pothole and keep going. After market rims are usually not quite as heavy and not quite as resilient as the stocks. Between our two R53's we have a few different sets now. We have a set of the Rota RB in Royal Grey with polished edges. They're for lovers of shiney things for sure. Due to their spoke shape they're easy to maintain. I use some wheel glaze to keep the brake dust from accumulating with pretty good results which I notice when it's time to wash. I will do what I have to do to dodge potholes inlcuding zig zag around it, change lanes, brake hard...etc.

The R53 suspsension design is for the 215/40/16 or 17 inch tires. Going up in width, or the first number and you'll rub on the rears and with wheel lock to wheel lock steering and you'll need spacers unless you get a huge offest on the rims. Going above 40 in sidewall profile you'll feel tire lean under heavy cornering, and you increase the weight of the tires total then too, which is taking from Paul to give to Peter...sure it might ride nice, and yeah, it might suck up pot holes better...yet you're reducing power by adding weight which also affects mileage...

I've also got a couple matte black sets. As far as keeping those clean, it's about impossible. Every piece of dust shows up. Matte finishes are not as smooth as glossy paint, nor do they have a clear coat on them usually, so dust grabs on matte/flat finishes easier than glossy polished finishes. I keep my black rims heavy with glaze constantly.

Get some extra Rota wheel center caps...they're sorta wimpy and break... :roll:

All season tires are like a jack of all trades in the world of tires. They don't do anything great, and they kinda work in most situations. They are not great in rain, they do not corner or brake well. They last a long time and are round... Once you try some Ultra High Performance summer only tires you'll never go back to all seasons again. Yup, that means a dedicated snow rim and tire combo that you can use when needed.