3 cyl Turbo

General discussions related to MINIs and Minis
DA MINI
MINIAC
MINIAC

3 cyl Turbo

Post by DA MINI »

Friend from KCBMW Club is presently in Puerto Rico for the 2014 Mini introduction. He writes for ROUNDEL the BMWCCA magazine. Asked how the 3 cyl Turbo
runs. His reply "If thay hadn't told us I would not have known". Of course that was his driving impression and he would have been checking.
Another topic - Feb. 11 Baron BMW will be showing the new BMW i3 electric vehicle. One day only.
Mr. F56
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Re: 3 cyl Turbo

Post by Minidave »

The three cyl is rated at 136 hp (I think), when he says "I wouldn't have known" was he saying he wouldn't have known it was a turbo?
Was he impressed or underwhelmed?

The 2L 4 is only rated a little higher than the 1.6 it replaces, I wonder if that's done for fuel mileage reasons or so they can put up a bigger difference to the JCW models? I've seen normally aspirated 2.0's make that much HP.
Hi! My name's Dave!

'09 LB/LB Clubman S - "Max"
89 Mini "Racing Green"
94 SPi Project (The Hot Rod)
MiniManiac
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by MiniManiac »

Minidave wrote:The three cyl is rated at 136 hp (I think), when he says "I wouldn't have known" was he saying he wouldn't have known it was a turbo?
Was he impressed or underwhelmed?

The 2L 4 is only rated a little higher than the 1.6 it replaces, I wonder if that's done for fuel mileage reasons or so they can put up a bigger difference to the JCW models? I've seen normally aspirated 2.0's make that much HP.
The MINI is definitely losing the HP wars with the VWs and now the new Fords. What gives?
Seth
08 MCS - JCW
1974/1993 Classic Mini - 70 WHP!
Sspreso
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Sspreso »

Of course this is coming from the guy trying for max power...

Been driving the loaner Mini and I get now why they don't do more power. The current R56 is dialed in to where you can drive it like you stole it and not be punished. It makes you feel like you are driving harder and faster than you really might be. For the average driver the MCS is spot on.

Plus the Foci and Golfs weigh more, so the power to weight ratios are about the same. Look at the Mustang GT, for years it was down on power, but still often won comparison tests due to lighter weight and 'fun factor'.

The Fiesta ST has similar power and closer in weight. That might be a better comparison.
-John Herrman
2012 JCW Coupe aka 'Taz'
-If you car doesn't try to kill you, it's under modded.
MiniManiac
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by MiniManiac »

Sspreso wrote:Of course this is coming from the guy trying for max power...

Been driving the loaner Mini and I get now why they don't do more power. The current R56 is dialed in to where you can drive it like you stole it and not be punished. It makes you feel like you are driving harder and faster than you really might be. For the average driver the MCS is spot on.

Plus the Foci and Golfs weigh more, so the power to weight ratios are about the same. Look at the Mustang GT, for years it was down on power, but still often won comparison tests due to lighter weight and 'fun factor'.

The Fiesta ST has similar power and closer in weight. That might be a better comparison.
I would have to look-up the 0-60 times and the Nuremberg lap times as well but I think the MINI is falling behind. Either way, I wouldn't own a focus no matter how fast :)
Seth
08 MCS - JCW
Zack
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Zack »

MiniManiac wrote:

I would have to look-up the 0-60 times and the Nuremberg lap times as well but I think the MINI is falling behind. Either way, I wouldn't own a focus no matter how fast :)
Nuremberg? Or Nurburgring? They've done trials at both. Only one involved cars. :wink:
Bruno - 2022 JCW
Former MINI's
2006 R53 Mini Cooper S
2011 R55 Mini Cooper Clubman
2013 R56 Mini Cooper S JCW
2008 R56 MINI Cooper S JCW
2014 R55 MINI JCW Clubman
2017 F56 MINI Cooper S JCW
MiniManiac
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by MiniManiac »

Zackattack28 wrote:
MiniManiac wrote:

Nuremberg? Or Nurburgring? They've done trials at both. Only one involved cars. :wink:
LMAO!!! Good catch. Spell check got me :)
Seth
08 MCS - JCW