A Few Additions

General discussions related to MINIs and Minis
MiniManiac
MINIAC
MINIAC

Re: A Few Additions

Post by MiniManiac »

Minidave wrote:Don says to look at where the muffler is close to the subframe at the very back, it may be hitting there. We can grind or even bend that edge if it needs more clearance.
That is what I am thinking as well. It is just so cold in the garage!!!
Seth
08 MCS - JCW
1974/1993 Classic Mini - 70 WHP!
MiniManiac
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by MiniManiac »

MiniManiac wrote:
Minidave wrote:Don says to look at where the muffler is close to the subframe at the very back, it may be hitting there. We can grind or even bend that edge if it needs more clearance.
That is what I am thinking as well. It is just so cold in the garage!!!
There appears to be plenty of clearance. It does it when I accelerate so perhaps the exhaust is flexing and then rubbing. I still can't see where it is rubbing. I still have that engine steady to install so maybe that will fix the problem.
Seth
08 MCS - JCW
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

If anyone needs to do any final tweeking before we hit the road, I'll be off from school from Thursday the 13th on, so if we just want to take a quick look, put a wrench on everything to make sure it's tight and so on we have a few days before we go, the earlier the better tho in case we need to order a part of some sort.

Seth if your exhaust is still hitting the seatbelt bolt - as I recall there was about 1/2" of that bolt hanging down, we can easily cut that off without compromising the strength to gain some more clearance.

Dimini still needs to change his oil and install an engine steady mount bushing.

I will take a few tools with me just in case, but I won't have a full set by any means.

Be sure to take any extra oil and spares with you. We've only had one problem in all the times we've done this and it was pretty much unavoidable, but better to be safe....

Anyone who plans to take vids be sure you have all your camera supplies, fresh batteries, plenty of memory cards, laptop or whatever, the motel has a pretty good wifi connection too.

I'll have a map and a Garmin, we shouldn't need anything more than that, as our host knows the roads like the back of his hand.

Our route down to Cuba is straight down 50 hiway to Mo19 then straight south to Cuba and the Wagon Wheel on Rt 66.

We have a couple of surprises planned that I don't want to give away yet, but they should be fun!

Only about two weeks left!
Hi! My name's Dave!

'09 LB/LB Clubman S - "Max"
89 Mini "Racing Green"
94 SPi Project (The Hot Rod)
MiniManiac
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by MiniManiac »

I think we need to cut that bolt because it is still rubbing / vibrating. I would also like to add the engine steady that mounts under the thermostat housing. I am also going to adjust my hi-los and drop the Mini about 1/2 inch. We shall see if she rubs that low :). Oh and a good engine cleaning. The smell of burning oil get old
Seth
08 MCS - JCW
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

Did tightening the valve cover bolts stop the leak?

I'll be out of town this weekend, but I'm good the weekend before we go.....
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
MiniManiac
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by MiniManiac »

Minidave wrote:Did tightening the valve cover bolts stop the leak?

I'll be out of town this weekend, but I'm good the weekend before we go.....
Not really - LOL. I am going see if the engine steady bolts up nice and easy this Sunday so that job will be complete. I may also clean the engine a bit.
Seth
08 MCS - JCW
MiniManiac
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by MiniManiac »

New steering rack boot (forgot to order) and a possible alignment :lol:
Seth
08 MCS - JCW
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

Don't forget to take out those rack stops too, so you can turn tighter....

That's a lot to do in the few days we have left, hope you get as much done as you can. I don't know if I'd lower it too much, we're going to be down in the Ozarks and while the hiways are good, getting on/off the road into parking lots and such could present a problem for a car that's too low. Just food for thought....
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
MiniManiac
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by MiniManiac »

Minidave wrote:Don't forget to take out those rack stops too, so you can turn tighter....

That's a lot to do in the few days we have left, hope you get as much done as you can. I don't know if I'd lower it too much, we're going to be down in the Ozarks and while the hiways are good, getting on/off the road into parking lots and such could present a problem for a car that's too low. Just food for thought....
Oh, I know. :)

The only thing that needs to be looked at it the exhaust rattle.
Seth
08 MCS - JCW