Favorite Model of MINI?

General discussions related to MINIs and Minis
MiniManiac
MINIAC
MINIAC

Favorite Model of MINI?

Post by MiniManiac »

With so many models out there, you have to have a favorite. It may be the one you drive or maybe it is one you would like to drive. As most of you know, I drive a classic and an 08 R56 with the JCW tuning kit on it (no factory JCWs available until 09). The R56 has its advantages but it isn't my favorite model.

My favorite is an 06 R53 model. I think the R53 is the best representation of the classic mini. Is it the most efficient and refined version? Heck no! However, from its suspension set-up to the look (no stupid giant speedo), I think it truly captures the MINI experience. The R53 also has my favorite color blue, Hyper Blue which isn't available in the R56. In my hunt for a new MINI, I searched for an R53 but I couldn't find one that had the options I wanted and that wasn't completely modded-out by someone else. I had the opportunity to buy an R56 for 4K below retail and no tax, so I really couldn't pass up that deal :).

What do I prefer on the R56? The turbo. That bad boy creates so much torque that it is truly fun to drive. If I was able to find an acceptable R53, that is what I would be driving.

What's your favorite?
Seth
08 MCS - JCW
1974/1993 Classic Mini - 70 WHP!
Hagar46
MINIAC
MINIAC

Re: Favorite Model of MINI?

Post by Hagar46 »

My R50, LOL. Haven't found an acceptible R53 to replace it! Not fond of the newer MINI's. Especially the 2014. :(
George

03 Cooper, Silk Green, CVT, ProMini CAI, Borla Exhaust, Schroth 4-pt Harness, Sportlink Hitch, 277,000+ miles, R.I.P. :(
06 MCS automatic, Chili Red w/white roof, 115k miles, Monte Carlo Rallye decals. :chili:
MiniManiac
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by MiniManiac »

Hagar46 wrote:My R50, LOL. Haven't found an acceptible R53 to replace it! Not fond of the newer MINI's. Especially the 2014. :(
I agree with you on the new looks. I like the nose of the R53 the best.
Seth
08 MCS - JCW
SWT CHI

Post by SWT CHI »

Obviously, the one I'm driving 8). Chili red must be one of the coolest reds I've ever seen on a car. And, if I wasn't driving the R53 JCW, then I'd find a 1st Gen GP.

The direction MINI is headed, those future models are going to be a poor-man's Bimmer with the same modular engine and frame and chasis. I've got a predelection for older Bimmers as well, such as the e24 and e36. M-editions make nil difference becasue of the availability to personnaly mod or insert a Dinan package. MINI is likely going to stop saturating the market with JCWs, and make them special editions. Same to be said for the chili red color: it won't be availalble except in rare circumstances.

I think all the personality is in the classic models, and the R53 did manage to capture a lot of the culture that went into developing those cars over the years. Cooper's involvement, chili red, the appropriately sized analog spedo.
nine5raptor
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by nine5raptor »

The only first gen, I have been in is a 02 R50 several years ago. I liked it then but it didn't have the power it needed. When I started looking for a new car to replace the tired, old cavalier we had, I was looking for a stick shift hot hatch. It just so happened that Carmax had several R56s in different flavors that were manual shift. I drove a non-S 09, a S 07, and a S 09 Clubby. they wanted too much for them though. My 10 R56S popped up at a Subaru dealer near me and I jumped on it. So far I have been happy with it! Some issues here and there, but MINI has covered the major issues under campaigns. I definitely like having a turbo stick shift car again!!
2010 MCS CR/W with some custom vinyl, JCW sport suspension (minus FSB), CNT cat back, Add a brake, Alta AP, Devil's Own H2O/Meth Injection, random other little stuff, and some good ol' mud flaps
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

I think most of us will reply it's the car we drive....

I had a JCW R53 (2003) and I liked it, but there were things about it that didn't suit me.....the ride was always harsh, the seats didn't fit me and were uncomfortable and it didn't have quite enough room. Later when my knees started getting bad it was getting hard to get the clutch down all the way to shift. On cold winter days I couldn't get the shifter to move, and it the summer with the A/C on it was such a dog till it got wound up some. It also got terrible fuel mileage in the winter, and not a whole lot better in the summer, the best I did on long trips was barely 30 mpg. Most all of these issues could be addressed by spending money (a lot of it) on it.

Instead I sold it and bought my Clubby. It's not perfect either (but then no car is) and there are a few things I still have issues with - these seats - while better than those in my 2003 - still are not comfortable for long drives, the ride quality OTOH is significantly smoother and better than the JCW. The engine gets much better fuel mileage, and I like the torque of the turbo motor, I also really like the auto trans and don't feel like I gave anything away to the manual shift cars by going to it.

The engine, while powerful and torquey enough and gets good fuel mileage, does not sound like it belongs in an expensive car like this - it's course sounding and feels like it belongs in an entry level Nissan or something where the engine in the R53's was sweet revving and sounded great - like it should. This is mostly noticable in the auto trans cars, you don't seem to hear in in the manuals...I have high hopes that they got this right in the new cars.

The extra room in the Clubby has been a real asset at times, but the club door - while it helps getting people (or dogs) in and out of the rear, is awkward when the car is in a parking place, as you have to open the front door far enough to get the rear one open - sometimes this can be difficult to impossible depending on how closely the car next to you is parked. People like the barn doors in the back, but I would have been happier with a hatch hinged at the top, like the Countryman or the regular 2 dr has......it's a gimmick at best as you pretty much have to open both doors to get anything in there.

Overall I like the Clubby, it's been relatively problem free, fun to drive, gets good mileage and looks cool......too bad they won't make them anymore after this year.....
Hi! My name's Dave!

'09 LB/LB Clubman S - "Max"
89 Mini "Racing Green"
94 SPi Project (The Hot Rod)
ragtopday Johnna
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Post by ragtopday Johnna »

My favorite is a Chili Red R52 cabrio with a black top and lots of sparkly bits. Heated seats for topless winter driving, AC for humid summer topless driving. :lol: Although I should upgrade, I'm reluctant because I like the auto-up window gizmo installed after market. And because I don't like the newer ginormous speedo.It also feels wrong to get rid of a car that has been my companion on many crazy adventures, so I will coax her along for another 150,000 miles if I'm lucky. I bought my R52 over the phone, sight unseen, and must have really lucked out because she is absolutely.perfect.

I share the garage with a 71/95 something-or-the-other Classic Mini in a lovely shade of white. I love MiniX2's Moxie, but my favorite Classic is a white '67 Moke. I shall have one at some point...
Johnna--BMPR CR '05 Chili Red JustaCVT, JCW Sound Kit #D344, JCW BBK, aFe cai, M7 Under Strut System, strut tower plates, Sparkly wheel arches, a little chrome. Garage-sharing w/ '12 Goodwood MCS #372, '06 MCS "Jack" and MiniX4's classic, Moxie.
MiniManiac
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by MiniManiac »

ragtopday wrote:My favorite is a Chili Red R52 cabrio with a black top and lots of sparkly bits. Heated seats for topless winter driving, AC for humid summer topless driving. :lol: Although I should upgrade, I'm reluctant because I like the auto-up window gizmo installed after market. And because I don't like the newer ginormous speedo.It also feels wrong to get rid of a car that has been my companion on many crazy adventures, so I will coax her along for another 150,000 miles if I'm lucky. I bought my R52 over the phone, sight unseen, and must have really lucked out because she is absolutely.perfect.

I share the garage with a 71/95 something-or-the-other Classic Mini in a lovely shade of white. I love MiniX2's Moxie, but my favorite Classic is a white '67 Moke. I shall have one at some point...
I especially love bass boat style fender arches :)
Seth
08 MCS - JCW
ragtopday Johnna
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Post by ragtopday Johnna »

MiniManiac wrote:I especially love bass boat style fender arches :)
Me, too. It's probably my favorite part. Those poor fellas at the body shop were concerned it was a bit much. But really, one can never have too much sparkle. :lol:
Johnna--BMPR CR '05 Chili Red JustaCVT, JCW Sound Kit #D344, JCW BBK, aFe cai, M7 Under Strut System, strut tower plates, Sparkly wheel arches, a little chrome. Garage-sharing w/ '12 Goodwood MCS #372, '06 MCS "Jack" and MiniX4's classic, Moxie.
Zack
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Zack »

ragtopday wrote:
MiniManiac wrote:I especially love bass boat style fender arches :)
Me, too. It's probably my favorite part. Those poor fellas at the body shop were concerned it was a bit much. But really, one can never have too much sparkle. :lol:
My favorite is an R56 JCW or the cooper I saw at Baron with the JCW kit and Recaro interior. For now I love my pepper white R53 and don't plan to get rid of it. Still got some things that annoy me. The steering is noisy at slow speeds. Sounds like plastic rubbing together but at highway speeds it's fine. Otherwise, it's still a solid old car and looks as classic as the original minis. It helps that the previous owner had almost everything chromed on it. Gives it a classic look I think. Hopefully the new black rota rbs I bought will look right as well.
Bruno - 2022 JCW
Former MINI's
2006 R53 Mini Cooper S
2011 R55 Mini Cooper Clubman
2013 R56 Mini Cooper S JCW
2008 R56 MINI Cooper S JCW
2014 R55 MINI JCW Clubman
2017 F56 MINI Cooper S JCW
MiniManiac
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by MiniManiac »

Zackattack28 wrote:My favorite is an R56 JCW or the cooper I saw at Baron with the JCW kit and Recaro interior. For now I love my pepper white R53 and don't plan to get rid of it. Still got some things that annoy me. The steering is noisy at slow speeds. Sounds like plastic rubbing together but at highway speeds it's fine. Otherwise, it's still a solid old car and looks as classic as the original minis. It helps that the previous owner had almost everything chromed on it. Gives it a classic look I think. Hopefully the new black rota rbs I bought will look right as well.
They will!!! :!:
Seth
08 MCS - JCW
gehrigk
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by gehrigk »

Favorite MINI is which ever one i'm driving at the time.
Keith
Former - 2018 JCW Thunder Gray, Dinatronics Sport
Current - 2023 M240i xDrive
MiniManiac
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by MiniManiac »

gehrigk wrote:Favorite MINI is which ever one i'm driving at the time.
Soooo, a 2014 Thunder Gray?
Seth
08 MCS - JCW
gehrigk
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by gehrigk »

Should be an April delivery.
Keith
MiniManiac
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by MiniManiac »

gehrigk wrote:Should be an April delivery.
Do you have a MINI now or have you owned one a previous life?
Seth
08 MCS - JCW
gehrigk
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by gehrigk »

Yes I sold my 09 MCS last year to buy a Jeep. Now I'm buying another MINI.
Keith
MiniManiac
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by MiniManiac »

gehrigk wrote:Yes I sold my 09 MCS last year to buy a Jeep. Now I'm buying another MINI.
Sweet!!
Seth
08 MCS - JCW
BLUGOOSE
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by BLUGOOSE »

I prefer my 05 R-53. As a matter of fact I like it so much that I'd like to be buried in it! After I die of course. :saywhat:
2005 MCS Hyper Blue, auto, chrono, cold, H/K, roof, Milltek Sport, DDMWorks CAI, M7 Strut Plate,"Todd Graphics",R-90s
nine5raptor
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by nine5raptor »

Good call on adding that last sentence!
2010 MCS CR/W with some custom vinyl, JCW sport suspension (minus FSB), CNT cat back, Add a brake, Alta AP, Devil's Own H2O/Meth Injection, random other little stuff, and some good ol' mud flaps