MINI going to Baron tomorrow

General discussions related to MINIs and Minis
nine5raptor
MINIAC
MINIAC

MINI going to Baron tomorrow

Post by nine5raptor »

Getting the P1637/P1638 codes as well as a min/max/improbable TPS error codes. I'm guessing an updated intake mani is in order, but we shall see. I haven't looked carefully enough to see if I have the old design, but I believe so as this has happened a couple of times this winter. Still have 1.5 months left on the warranty :D
2010 MCS CR/W with some custom vinyl, JCW sport suspension (minus FSB), CNT cat back, Add a brake, Alta AP, Devil's Own H2O/Meth Injection, random other little stuff, and some good ol' mud flaps
MiniManiac
MINIAC
MINIAC

Re: MINI going to Baron tomorrow

Post by MiniManiac »

Good luck. Let us know the diagnosis.
Seth
08 MCS - JCW
1974/1993 Classic Mini - 70 WHP!
nine5raptor
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by nine5raptor »

Cleaned it out all out. Said there was moisture in the throttle body which I have a hard time believing after a 35 min drive at 225F engine temps. No luck on the new manifold. Maybe I didn't insist enough. Going to look and see which one I have but it is too dark out now :)
2010 MCS CR/W with some custom vinyl, JCW sport suspension (minus FSB), CNT cat back, Add a brake, Alta AP, Devil's Own H2O/Meth Injection, random other little stuff, and some good ol' mud flaps
Sspreso
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Sspreso »

nine5raptor wrote:Cleaned it out all out. Said there was moisture in the throttle body which I have a hard time believing after a 35 min drive at 225F engine temps. No luck on the new manifold. Maybe I didn't insist enough. Going to look and see which one I have but it is too dark out now :)
Baron is a good group, but their hands are tied by Mini/BMW policies on replacing parts.
If insisting did anything I'd have a new clutch, new HPFP, water pump...etc.
-John Herrman
2012 JCW Coupe aka 'Taz'
-If you car doesn't try to kill you, it's under modded.
nine5raptor
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by nine5raptor »

Yeah, I can't complain about some of the other work they have done under warranty. In this one, I probably hurt my case by clearing the codes the previous time. Oh well, only happened a couple of times this winter. Not a huge deal as I know how to sort it out.
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

I think those were only on 2009 and earlier cars.....I know Counterfit Mini had hers replaced on her '09 when it was almost new for this symptom, they said it was icing. I don't know what the difference is in the manifolds, but mine is a 2009 and it's never done it. Maybe they use a different intake on cars sold in warm climate markets? VW used to do this....

Make sure the hose clamps for all the intake pipes and filters are on good, sucking cold moist air in thru a leak like that can cause this. The temp of the water in the engine (225* mentioned) will have nothing to do with it, it's in the intake...

Do you have a cold air intake? or the factory air cleaner?
Hi! My name's Dave!

'09 LB/LB Clubman S - "Max"
89 Mini "Racing Green"
94 SPi Project (The Hot Rod)
nine5raptor
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by nine5raptor »

From what I found, the newer intake came out in Spring of 2010. My car is a 11/09 build, but it appears they never put the new intakes on in Oxford. It alters the PCV hose to a multi-port line that goes into the intake runners instead of dumping just before the throttle body (I believe this is right, going off memory here). Getting the car up to temp should clear all that moisture out and not still be dumping it in right before the throttle body where, upon shutdown, it sits and freezes. An OCC could potentially help this by collecting the water vapor coming out of the oil. Isaac said this year they have had many more cars coming in for this with our ubercold weather. The fix was to take it apart and clean it all out to get any moisture out of it.

I will check my hoses and make sure all is tight and that I am not drawing in air that I should not.

For my intake, I have the JCW Kit upgrade box. It is the factory box with the cone style filter (paper MANN filter) that MINI supplies when you buy their JCW tuning kit on the pre-LCI cars. I got it from WMW though so it does not have the rubber seal around the box (could potentially be letting in some engine bay air pre-filter). I think the seal is around $40 but seems unnecessary.