MINI Max has a New Little Brother, Buzz

General discussions related to MINIs and Minis
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Re: MINI Max has a New Little Brother, Buzz

Post by Minidave »

Well, Don got hung up at work so we'll go sometime during the week.......
Hi! My name's Dave!

'09 LB/LB Clubman S - "Max"
89 Mini "Racing Green"
94 SPi Project (The Hot Rod)
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

I forgot to update my thread, Don and I did a run up I-29 to St. Joe, across to Atchison and back again.....it was about 60 when we left and 70 on the return and not only did Buzz not overheat, it was difficult to even get him up to the 180* temp that the thermostat opens at! So, now he runs too cool, and that's without the extra cooling from the core I put under the bumper!

A few weeks later we did the Run with the club up in Liberty and the situation was the same, on the way home on a long uphill run it it just barely got up to 180, but then when I let off the gas on the downhill side it dropped right back down again to about 160.

On top of that, when I turned the heater on I immediately smelled coolant, so I ordered a new heater core from Mini Sport in England which came in today. I had the old core out a couple of months ago, but I didn't see any evidence of leakage, when I removed it this time this is what I saw - this part was covered in foam padding, that's why I didn't see it before I guess.

The new core came in today, and the first thing I noticed on taking it out of the box is that it weighs half what the old was does. It makes sense when you look at it, the old one has metal end caps soldered on, the new one has plastic crimped on end caps, and has 2/3 the number of tubes in the core. I won't care as long as it doesn't leak and makes heat tho!

I'll get this installed this afternoon. I removed the yellow radiator fan (I still have the electric fan on the back side of the radiator) to see if I can get the temp up where it should be, so I'll need to take Buzz for another long highway run and see how it does.

I also tried something on my tires to get them balanced - I've tried twice with the modern balancer at school and they still shake, if this doesn't work I'll concede defeat and take them up where Don gets his done for the P'up.....I guess our machine just isn't designed to do these tiny tires!
Attachments
IMG_3173R.jpg
IMG_3173R.jpg (105.36 KiB) Viewed 13247 times
IMG_3172R.jpg
IMG_3172R.jpg (118.24 KiB) Viewed 13247 times
Last edited by Minidave on Thu Feb 25, 2016 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

Despite being down with flu, I decided to try and get some more things fixed on Buzz - today's challenge - why don't the turn signals self cancel?

Once I got the steering wheel off, (the retaining nut was only finger tight!) I found the screw for the clamp for the T/S switch and pulled it off the column - with the switch off I saw the reason for yet another rattle - in the first pic you can see a white plastic bushing between the column and the steering shaft - it's turned and not in the right place, that notch in the side is where the turn signal switch is supposed to locate. I have a new bushing so I'll put it in before I re-assemble the column.

Once I had the switch off and studied it a bit, it became apparent why the self cancel didn't work. I didn't get the "before" pic, but the second pic shows a yellow part - that's supposed to be where it is now - before it was sitting on top of the switch. The yellow part has a nubbin that engages the works in the switch and it wasn't where it needed to be to make it work. Now how to fix it.

When I took that gold plate off of the switch all the little bitzas went flying, of course, so it took a few minutes to find them again and the a few more minutes of study to figure out where they all went, then it took about 3 extra hands to hold everything in place while I put the yellow cam back in, oriented it correctly and screwed the cover plate back. It still didn't work the first time, so back apart again. I made some helpers out of bits of wire and what have you to hold things in relation, then carefully worked the plate back on again.......success! It now cancels.

But that brought up the next problem.....my steering wheel is non-OEM, so it had no engaging lugs to fit into the slots on the cam to turn it with the wheel. I could have welded something fancy up with a couple of lugs and a flat plate to attach to the wheel's hub, but I went simple, and tapped a couple of 6-32 holes and locktited in some screws - there's very little force on this part to make it work so I think this will do, but if it doesn't it's right on top and I can get out the welder and fab something better up
Attachments
IMG_3257R.jpg
IMG_3257R.jpg (86.64 KiB) Viewed 13804 times
IMG_3256R.jpg
IMG_3256R.jpg (38.34 KiB) Viewed 13804 times
IMG_3258R.jpg
IMG_3258R.jpg (50.26 KiB) Viewed 13804 times
Last edited by Minidave on Mon Feb 23, 2015 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
MiniManiac
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by MiniManiac »

Good grief! I think you now have the only Classic Mini with self cancelling turn signals!
Seth
08 MCS - JCW
1974/1993 Classic Mini - 70 WHP!
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

Really?

I thought I was the only one who would drive for miles unaware that I was winking away..... :roll: :mrgreen:
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
MiniManiac
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by MiniManiac »

Minidave wrote:Really?

I thought I was the only one who would drive for miles unaware that I was winking away..... :roll: :mrgreen:
No sir! Pay attention at the next classic drive and you see nothing but blinkers!! LOL
Seth
08 MCS - JCW
ragtopday Johnna
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Post by ragtopday Johnna »

MiniManiac wrote:
Minidave wrote:Really?

No sir! Pay attention at the next classic drive and you see nothing but blinkers!! LOL
Most common two-way radio transmission at a classic drive: "Hey, your blinker is on!"
Johnna--BMPR CR '05 Chili Red JustaCVT, JCW Sound Kit #D344, JCW BBK, aFe cai, M7 Under Strut System, strut tower plates, Sparkly wheel arches, a little chrome. Garage-sharing w/ '12 Goodwood MCS #372, '06 MCS "Jack" and MiniX4's classic, Moxie.
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

Well, I know I used to get that quite a bit - and for good reason......on my car the way I had the wheel dropped completely blocked the indicator lights on the dash so I couldn't see them winking away for miles on end. I usually only found it when I went to turn again. :oops:

I'm going to change that too.....

Maybe we should have a classic Mini shop day where all we do is fix turn signals! :mrgreen:

I really can't find anything good to say about the guy who worked on this car before me - so I guess I won't say anything - but the large retaining nut that holds the steering wheel on was finger tight.

One other thing I'm looking at doing, moving the turn signal switch over to the left side of the column - I think it'll be simple enough and that way instead of occasionally signaling a turn with the wipers it will be like all my other cars. :? :mrgreen:
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
MiniManiac
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by MiniManiac »

Minidave wrote: Maybe we should have a classic Mini shop day where all we do is fix turn signals! :mrgreen:
Yes, I think that is a good idea. I routinely flip on my signal just to make sure that it is off. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Seth
08 MCS - JCW
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

Today I got a few more jobs done on Buzz. When I did all the other engine and subframe work, I put all new suspension bushings in and rebuilt all the master cylinders too. I guess the new clutch was stronger than the rebuilt clutch master, so I bought a new one and installed it on Sat with Dimini's help. He's a lot more bendy than I am and he was able to wrestle the clevis pin off the clutch linkage - I couldn't get there on a bet!

Now that seems to work right, I needed to figure out why I couldn't get my alignment to stay where I wanted it, and why the car had a small pull under braking. Today I got the answer to both questions! These lower control arm bushings were brand new OEM at the same time I did the rest of the work, only 9 months and about 3K miles ago!

I decided to replace them with poly bushings, I'm told they'll last "forever"....can't be any worse than these!
Attachments
IMG_3271R.jpg
IMG_3271R.jpg (74.13 KiB) Viewed 13756 times
IMG_3270R.jpg
IMG_3270R.jpg (68.97 KiB) Viewed 13756 times
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

Alrighty then, I got the new poly bushings installed and put Buzz on the alignment rack today, once I got the machine to accept my numbers instead of the mfrs, it came around nicely....

However, on the drive home I swear i heard metal to metal on he brakes as I pulled up for a light and again as I pulled into my driveway......crap. I know the fronts are good as I had them all apart when I did the front end overhaul, but I've never had the backs off.....if I can't find some at Victoria British I may be at the hands of the overnight delivery gods, and depending on when they get here, doing a brake job on Friday morning.

It's always sumthin with these little cars.......
Attachments
IMG_3281R.jpg
IMG_3281R.jpg (82.97 KiB) Viewed 13743 times
IMG_3280R.jpg
IMG_3280R.jpg (79.35 KiB) Viewed 13743 times
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

OK, crisis averted.....my rear shoes are fine, musta just been a lot of built up brake dust. I'll clean them up and adjust them properly and be good to go.

Whew! :?
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

Found out what my brake noise was -and it was scary, and it wasn't the brakes!

Apparently as I was adjusting the caster on Tues, unbeknownst to me as I turned the tie bar, it was loosening the nut on the front, so that the left front nut was almost completely off and the right front was pretty loose!

So today it went back on the alignment machine and I got everything dialed in properly - now it drives like a Mini and no more brake pull or weird sounds.

Moral of the story boys? Check yer nuts!

Here's today's results.....
Attachments
Alignment resultsR.jpg
Alignment resultsR.jpg (88.43 KiB) Viewed 13722 times
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

After our Fun Run in Arkansas, I decided to pull Buzz' dash one more time and see if I could eliminate those last few niggling rattles and buzzes in the dash. I also bought two new switches - for the turn signals and wipers - so I could move the wipers over to the left or normal side, and fix the self canceling too. So, while I had it all apart I also decided to change the oil pressure and amp gauges for two that would match the temp gauge, and move them all to the center of the dash, then relocate the tach to the right side where the temp gauge was. I also made up a harness for the tach with a weatherproof multi pin connector. Also, I had lost my dash lights and pulled the instrument cluster to see why, which was quickly apparent - there was a burned spot in the circuit board. I found small vid shop down in Mission and for $20 he fixed it for me - that's the short black ribbon of JB weld covering his solder work.

So, all I have to do now is build the car side of the harness for the tach and then put it all back together.......hopefully in time to drive it to Cars and Coffee at the KC Auto Museum tomorrow. See you all there!
Attachments
IMG_3339R.jpg
IMG_3339R.jpg (95.01 KiB) Viewed 13707 times
IMG_3340R.jpg
IMG_3340R.jpg (192.44 KiB) Viewed 13707 times
IMG_3342R.jpg
IMG_3342R.jpg (98.33 KiB) Viewed 13707 times
IMG_3345R.jpg
IMG_3345R.jpg (153.58 KiB) Viewed 13707 times
IMG_3347R.jpg
IMG_3347R.jpg (89.75 KiB) Viewed 13707 times
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

Today, I finished the instrument wiring harness and connector - now all I need to do is figure out how I'm going to secure that loose insulation I found behind the dash that's making that rattle and I can start putting Buzz back together again - assuming everything works of course!
Attachments
IMG_3349R.jpg
IMG_3349R.jpg (75.87 KiB) Viewed 13247 times
IMG_3342R.jpg
IMG_3342R.jpg (98.33 KiB) Viewed 13247 times
Last edited by Minidave on Thu Feb 25, 2016 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

Under the "while you're in there" category, I made this today.....old tired cardboard replaced with shiny new metal, cut and bent to fit.....it becomes the "floor" of the glovebox and there's a pad that lays on top. I'll drill a few holes and screw it down tight so I won't create a new rattle. That should about do it for dash improvements, time to start putting it all back together again and get ready for the Donut Run next weekend.
Attachments
IMG_3377R.jpg
IMG_3377R.jpg (63.48 KiB) Viewed 13679 times
IMG_3378R.jpg
IMG_3378R.jpg (86.45 KiB) Viewed 13679 times
IMG_3380R.jpg
IMG_3380R.jpg (86.5 KiB) Viewed 13679 times
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

I got Buzz all re-assembled this afternoon and took him for a quick spin around the block - he started right up and ran perfectly and all the electrical stuff worked just as it should have done. It's a little disheartening to work so hard for so many weeks and when it's all back together it doesn't look, run or drive any differently - but at least everything worked!

So took him around the block and when I got back I got a nasty surprise, a big ol puddle of brake fluid under the left rear wheel. I haven't done anything to the rear of the car since I got it, although I did pull the drums right before our Arkansas run last month and everything looked fine then.

I made a quick sprint up to Victoria's British Secret (well sorta, the road destruction around here this year is terrible, I wasn't sure if I could get there from here - or back!) and bought two wheel cylinders and incase those didn't fit, two wheel cylinder repair kits - I'll tackle this later tonight. Tomorrow I'm meeting John at school to align both cars to get ready for our Rt 66 trip this Saturday and Sunday.......it's always sumthin with these old cars. :roll:
Last edited by Minidave on Thu Feb 25, 2016 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

Turned out the Victoria British parts were correct - exactly the same as on a Spridget - and I got everything cleaned up and put back together tonight - last thing I have to do is install the clip that holds the wheel cylinder in, and it is being a be-otch! Of course there's a special tool to do this job that I can buy from any of the usual suspects, but that's not gonna help me tonight at 9 pm....I'm sure I'll figure it out....
Attachments
IMG_3388R.jpg
IMG_3388R.jpg (91.9 KiB) Viewed 13670 times
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
MiniManiac
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by MiniManiac »

Did they have the correct wheel cylinders?
Seth
08 MCS - JCW
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

Yes, same as a Spridget - about $10 cheaper than the usual suspects too (plus shipping)!
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
MiniManiac
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by MiniManiac »

Minidave wrote:Yes, same as a Spridget - about $10 cheaper than the usual suspects too (plus shipping)!
Wow. Good to know!
Seth
08 MCS - JCW
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

The brake shoes are the same too....however, on the Sprite they're upside down compared t the Mini....the brake cylinder is at the top instead of the bottom, same parts tho.
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
MiniManiac
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by MiniManiac »

Minidave wrote:The brake shoes are the same too....however, on the Sprite they're upside down compared t the Mini....the brake cylinder is at the top instead of the bottom, same parts tho.
That definitely saves in shipping :)
Seth
08 MCS - JCW
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

Having gotten thru our Donut Run weekend, I need to get ready for our next fun run, the KC Mini Club and the Iowa Mini club joint event every May on some great roads in northern Missouri/southern Iowa.

So, after I had a wheel cylinder start leaking on me I decided to replace all the brakes, the rears shoes are not worn out - in fact they look almost new - but after doing the repairs the left rear was still grabbing, as I cleaned up the shoes but didn't have time to replace them, and they were contaminated with brake fluid.

My front pads are also like new, but when you see the old rotors you'll laugh - they look like they've been lying in a puddle of water for a couple of years and have some deep pits - I just looked at it like they were "drilled" or "slotted".......but I decided to replace them too as Moss had them on sale for only $40 ea.

I took the rear drums up to school today and turned them on the brake lather - they had worn typically out of round, so it took a bit to get them rounded out again, and as you can image such tiny drums are difficult to machine. I took me a while to get the lathe set up to where everything fit and worked, then a lot of passes to get them cleaned up and smooth, but in the end I only took off about 25 thou and they turned out great. While I was there I put them in the bead blaster and cleaned off all the old rust and paint. The right side drum had either been doing all the work or grabbing as the paint was burned brown on that side compared to the yellow paint on the left side.

Tomorrow if it ever stops raining I'll get some paint on them, then Sat I'll get everything cleaned up, installed and adjusted correctly.....I'll also get to try out the fancy schmancy e-clip installer, as one of the club members has one to loan. I also have new rear brake hoses to install, mine are fine, but they're pretty hard and stiff.
Attachments
IMG_3669R.jpg
IMG_3669R.jpg (128.18 KiB) Viewed 13247 times
IMG_3671R.jpg
IMG_3671R.jpg (113 KiB) Viewed 13247 times
IMG_3487R.jpg
IMG_3487R.jpg (66.06 KiB) Viewed 13247 times
IMG_3490R.jpg
IMG_3490R.jpg (73.68 KiB) Viewed 13247 times
Last edited by Minidave on Thu Feb 25, 2016 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
MiniManiac
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by MiniManiac »

As always, it all looks good!
Seth
08 MCS - JCW