MINI Max has a New Little Brother, Buzz

General discussions related to MINIs and Minis
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Re: MINI Max has a New Little Brother, Buzz

Post by Minidave »

I put a few coats of paint on the drums to stop them rusting, but I haven't gotten the new shoes on yet - turns out the other side was just starting to leak brake fluid too, so it was timely to say the least. I don't know if Buzz is going to make it to the Iowa run or not, but the Blue Max will if he doesn't.
Attachments
IMG_3490R.jpg
IMG_3490R.jpg (73.68 KiB) Viewed 11476 times
Hi! My name's Dave!

'09 LB/LB Clubman S - "Max"
89 Mini "Racing Green"
94 SPi Project (The Hot Rod)
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

Buzz is alive!

(again)

When we came home from the Donut Run the weather was really bad, storms, wind, rain bucketing down - so when it got close to town even tho I was well down into the red on the fuel gauge, rather than stop I pressed on and just made it home.

A few days later Don and I were going to do a quick check ride to Lawrence after getting his alignment straightened out and I started Buzz and let him idle in the drive - just in case I had added a gallon of gas I had in the garage so I knew could make it to the gas station just a few blocks down the street - he ran for a minute or two and then died and would not restart. I could hear the pump running but the carb was drier than a popcorn fart.

I went ahead and finished my brake job this week and today went back down to the shop to see if I had a bad pump or a clogged fuel line or what was going on. I blew the line back to the tank and it seemed clear. The pump filter was clear. I ran down to the gas station and got another 4 gallons of gas and added that to what was already in the tank but it still wouldn't work. So I got a short length of hose and a one gallon gas can and hooked it to the pump - it took a bit before it pulled the fuel, but once it got liquid into the pump it worked like mad! I hooked the car's fuel line up and bingo - gas to the carb. Once it was full I cranked him over and he started right up and ran normally.

Tomorrow is the annual Westwood Micro Car Show (one of the few times when my Mini looks like a big car!) and I had entered Buzz along with Don's P'up so I really wanted to get him running again so I could make the show. It's going to be hot and muggy, typical Kansas summer weather, so I'm going to get there early and get one of the few spots in the shade! Pics tomorrow afternoon when I get home......
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

I haven't updated this thread in a while because Buzz has just been running fine!

Our last run was last November down to Harrison Arkansas and the car ran great till the last day, when it would not start on a cold morning. A trip over to the local Autozone and a new set of firing pins and she started on a quarter turn of the crankshaft. I'd done about 6K on those plugs, so I guess it was time.

On the way home from Harrison we went via Tulsa, I have a friend there who likes to do Mini body work.....I had Buzz up on my lift one day and Rose came home and opened the garage door - oops! It gouged the paint on the roof. A couple weeks later I did the same damn thing! So we made a deal, he'd bought a Clubby here in KC than needed a clutch installed and I needed my roof fixed - we agreed to a swap.... so while Buzz was getting painted I put the clutch in his clubby, then once Buzz was ready a friend and I hauled it down to Tulsa and Buzz back.

I didn't get Buzz back till mid January but it looks terrific - better than new now. I'm super pleased.

The Club did a run last weekend and Buzz ran perfectly on the whole trip.

One of the last few things I wanted to do on Buzz was replace the contact breaker points with an electronic points eliminator kit, the one I'd bought when I did the rest of the engine work simply did not work and I had sent it back to the seller and he'd sent me a new one, once installed this time it fired right up and once the timing was set, that should be it for ever needing to mess with the distributor or timing again!

I also found and fixed yet another rattle - the rear check straps have a rubber stopper on the ends that had dried out and shrunk a bit, they still worked fine but rattled like crazy - new ones are unavailable so a little bit of clear silicone squirted into the center of the rubber fixed it perfectly!

This summer I'm planning to take Buzz to Mini Meet West in Sandy Eggo - that should be a real adventure!

More as it happens!
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

And then this happened................. new home - Kilgore, Texas.......Bye Buzz!

Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
MiniManiac
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by MiniManiac »

Minidave wrote:And then this happened................. new home - Kilgore, Texas.......Bye Buzz!

What??
Seth
08 MCS - JCW
1974/1993 Classic Mini - 70 WHP!
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

He made me an offer I couldn't refuse...........
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
Zack
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Zack »

Minidave wrote:He made me an offer I couldn't refuse...........
Must have been for an Italian Job.

Sorry I couldn't resist. :-)
Bruno - 2022 JCW
Former MINI's
2006 R53 Mini Cooper S
2011 R55 Mini Cooper Clubman
2013 R56 Mini Cooper S JCW
2008 R56 MINI Cooper S JCW
2014 R55 MINI JCW Clubman
2017 F56 MINI Cooper S JCW
MiniManiac
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by MiniManiac »

Seth
08 MCS - JCW
Zack
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Zack »

MiniManiac wrote:
You know. Italians, Mafia, poked fun at the Italian job as well.

(Walks away cuz no one got the joke) :?
Bruno - 2022 JCW
Former MINI's
2006 R53 Mini Cooper S
2011 R55 Mini Cooper Clubman
2013 R56 Mini Cooper S JCW
2008 R56 MINI Cooper S JCW
2014 R55 MINI JCW Clubman
2017 F56 MINI Cooper S JCW
MiniManiac
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by MiniManiac »

Zackattack28 wrote:
MiniManiac wrote:
You know. Italians, Mafia, poked fun at the Italian job as well.

(Walks away cuz no one got the joke) :?
I think we all got the joke.
Seth
08 MCS - JCW
Hagar46
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Hagar46 »

Well, he got a very well "sorted" Mini, as Edd China would say! :D :mrgreen: :D
George

03 Cooper, Silk Green, CVT, ProMini CAI, Borla Exhaust, Schroth 4-pt Harness, Sportlink Hitch, 277,000+ miles, R.I.P. :(
06 MCS automatic, Chili Red w/white roof, 115k miles, Monte Carlo Rallye decals. :chili:
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

Thanks George, I had just found and fixed the last bad rattle too! :roll: :D
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"