MINI Max has a New Little Brother, Buzz

General discussions related to MINIs and Minis
ragtopday Johnna
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Re: MINI Max has a New Little Brother, Buzz

Post by ragtopday Johnna »

dimini wrote:If you remove too many of the rattles and other noise makers, Buzz might have to be renamed Purr. You could give him a proper last name, like Pudwell from Yorkshire. I still can't get over the fact that your car came with a notebook full of maintenance records and proper UK registration docs spanning it's entire lifespan--how normal! Only thing I know about my frankenmini is that it began life dressed in green.
I so enjoyed hearing about the history of Buzz! Mr. Pudwell would surely be proud knowing where his Mini is residing now.
Johnna--BMPR CR '05 Chili Red JustaCVT, JCW Sound Kit #D344, JCW BBK, aFe cai, M7 Under Strut System, strut tower plates, Sparkly wheel arches, a little chrome. Garage-sharing w/ '12 Goodwood MCS #372, '06 MCS "Jack" and MiniX4's classic, Moxie.
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

Well, I may have solved the mystery of the bad vibrations...if so I may have to rename him!

Turns out that since this isn't the original engine, it doesn't fit perfectly - the base of the carb is hitting the firewall. There's evidence that someone tried to make a little extra clearance with a hammer, but it didn't work, the edge of the carb is worn significantly so it called for a different strategy. After looking at it for a moment I noticed a 1/2" thick spacer.....aha! Exchanging that for a thinner one should move the carb far enough away that it won't hit anymore, now all I have to do is find one. I looked in all my leftover Jag parts as I changed the carbs on it from Strombergs to SUs and I remember having to use different spacers on them too, but no joy - at least I couldn't find any.

Next idea, I went up to British Victoria's Secret and spent a few minutes looking thru catalogs till I found just what I needed! $10 later I'm home fitting it to the carb. It still took a little engineering but now I have plenty of clearance and I won't have to beat the firewall in or weld a small divot into it!

I didn't get it all finished tonight but tomorrow will tell whether I cured Buzz's buzzes......fingers crossed!

In the pic you can see where the paint is worn off the firewall from the carb hitting it....and at the left of the pic you can see the black spacer I put in between the carb and the manifold.
Attachments
IMG_2462R.jpg
IMG_2462R.jpg (125.53 KiB) Viewed 27738 times
Hi! My name's Dave!

'09 LB/LB Clubman S - "Max"
89 Mini "Racing Green"
94 SPi Project (The Hot Rod)
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

<Sighs>......... all my work with the carb did nothing noticeable to reduce the bad vibrations, so my next move is to pull the motor - while I have it out I'll do some wiring repairs, replace some leaking gaskets and seals, replace the motor mounts and engine steady rubbers, clean and paint the block and head, and clean and paint the engine compartment a bit too. Whew, that's a lot of work, but I want to have it looking it's best for the East meets West event this summer.

I'll also pull the heater as I know there's something loose rattling around in it, and the fan doesn't work - those two issues could be related.

Today was headlight day.

The lights worked, but they were English lights so they pointed the wrong way so to speak. I also noticed the left side headlight bucket had the back rotted out, so I bought some nifty plastic buckets made to install US style headlights.

First I had to drill out the rivets that held the buckets in. Then I had to wire in some new sockets for the bulbs, the English ones would have worked but the wires were in bad shape. Once the bucket was in it was a simple matter to install the headlight and viola! Let there be lights! The driving lights are wired into the high beam circuit and really help on those dark backroads!

BTW, if your classic Mini needs new buckets, go to Victoria British and buy them there - they're $10 a piece cheaper there!

I found a good source for wiring loom coverings that are pretty inexpensive, and I found another source for weather proof multi pin connectors - some of the wiring in Buzz has been changed, added to, replaced, modified and so on.....I'll do it a little better and neater once I have the engine out of the way. I'm not going for show car style here, just clean and functional.
Attachments
IMG_2511R.jpg
IMG_2511R.jpg (103.72 KiB) Viewed 27708 times
IMG_2512R.jpg
IMG_2512R.jpg (101.63 KiB) Viewed 27708 times
IMG_2513R.jpg
IMG_2513R.jpg (159.67 KiB) Viewed 27708 times
IMG_2516R.jpg
IMG_2516R.jpg (85.92 KiB) Viewed 27708 times
IMG_2517R.jpg
IMG_2517R.jpg (81.73 KiB) Viewed 27708 times
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
davester
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by davester »

very good job Dave :)
2015 F56 S hatchback-Electric Blue/Black, Cold Weather Package,Premium Package, Sport Package and a lot of other crap. "BRUISER"

They call me David
Former MINI's
2004 R53 "Stubby"
2012 R58 Coupe "Deuce"
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

Almost like I know what I'm doing, huh?

Over the weekend while on the Fun run in So Mo I had poor running problems, traced to a weak electric fuel pump, so I went down to O-O-O-O'Reillys and bought a new one, it took some engineering to get it to fit and work, but once in it really made a difference in how the car ran. Until it didn't......

When it would stop, all I had to do was give it a light tap with a wrench and it would run again, but I'll be visiting O's again for a replacement tomorrow.
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

Today's rattle repair brought to you by the fine folks a Buzz Laundry detergent!

When we left our hero he was valiantly searching for the source of Buzz' cacophony, and slowly but surely Buzz has been giving up his secrets, one at a time. Yesterday it was the heater bracket bolt that was loose.....

Today, it was the alternator. I noticed that occasionally the belt would squeal for a moment on start up and I found out why - one of the bolts was missing. I found a good one but had to shorten it about 3/8" so it would fit - no biggy - I have a hack saw. Then once I got everything in place and adjusted properly, just as I started to tighten the last bolt - snap! - it broke off, so back to the bolt bin, found another likely candidate, cut off about 3/8" and Bob's yer uncle Annies yer auntie it's nice and tight.

Job done, on to the next.

Alternator, now tightened and adjusted properly....
Attachments
IMG_2518R.jpg
IMG_2518R.jpg (94.03 KiB) Viewed 27691 times
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
DA MINI
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by DA MINI »

Havin fun yet? Great retirement project.
Mr. F56
IowaM1N1
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by IowaM1N1 »

I love reading these updates! Thanks for taking the time to share.
Greg
'19 Emerald Grey/Chili Red JCW (F56) <---- Greg's car
'08 Dark Silver/Black Cooper S convertible JCW (R52) <---- Greg's other car
'02 BRG/White Cooper (R50) Iowa plate: M1N1 <-----Judy's car
Des Moines/KC/whatever
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

There's more on the way......stay tuned!
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

Today I took out the sealed beams that I just installed and replaced them with Hella H4's with 55/100W bulbs - I decided that for the amount of time I drive at night in this car I don't think I need to spend the money for Xenons. I got a great deal on these - $100 the pair including bulbs and shipping, if anyone wants some PM me and I'll send you the link. Regular 55/60W bulbs are only $4 each compared to $10 for the 55/100s, BTW. I haven't checked but I may need to add a relay for the high beams as they draw a lot of power and I don't need that going thru the high beam switch and melting it.

Here's what they look like.....
Attachments
IMG_2519R.jpg
IMG_2519R.jpg (159.7 KiB) Viewed 27671 times
IMG_2520R.jpg
IMG_2520R.jpg (93.09 KiB) Viewed 27671 times
IMG_2521R.jpg
IMG_2521R.jpg (174.11 KiB) Viewed 27671 times
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

Once I had that done it was time to get it on the rack so I can start the engine-ectomy. First I wanted to get some of the dirt, oil, grease and gunk off so I pulled the hood and front grill then sprayed everything I could reach with engine cleaner and let it soak while I drug the pressure washer up from the garage. Half hour later it was as clean as it was going to get, and of course now it wouldn't start, even after blowing everything off with air! Fortunately I have ways of doing things, I had an old boat winch which I chained to the legs on my workbench which is bolted to the floor, then ran the cable out to the car and hooked her up. 5 minutes later after doing a bit of adjusting it's on the rack.

Next I'll start disconnecting things on top, draining fluids and such then lower it down and unhook the subframe, and lift the car up off the engine/subframe in one assembly. Tuesday MiniX2 is bringing his engine hoist down so I can lift the engine out of the subframe then I can get started on the work I need to do. That's the plan anyway, we'll see if it works out this way.....

Proof! :mrgreen:
Attachments
IMG_2526R.jpg
IMG_2526R.jpg (162.47 KiB) Viewed 27671 times
IMG_2524R.jpg
IMG_2524R.jpg (107.63 KiB) Viewed 27671 times
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

And it's out....a few things gave me a bit of a fight - the exhaust didn't want to come apart and some of the wiring is not original, so I made plenty of notes, took some pics, put some tags on the wires and so on.

Next up, separate the engine from the subframe so I can clean and paint it, I'm also going to pull the head and send it out and have the hardened seats installed so I can run it on unleaded fuel. I'm seriously considering changing the diff ratio while it's out, but I can't decide just how much acceleration to give up so I can have comfortable cruising. It's currently running 3:44's, but I can go down all the way to a 2:76. That would take 70 mph RPMs from around 4200 to about 3500, making the long distance trips I'm planning much more comfortable but, I don't know if my engine has enough ooooph to pull that gear, especially up hills.

Gonna hafta give it some thought.....

Here's a few pics to go along....
Attachments
IMG_2532R.jpg
IMG_2532R.jpg (163.7 KiB) Viewed 27661 times
IMG_2533R.jpg
IMG_2533R.jpg (105.86 KiB) Viewed 27661 times
IMG_2534R.jpg
IMG_2534R.jpg (167.34 KiB) Viewed 27661 times
IMG_2535R.jpg
IMG_2535R.jpg (140.48 KiB) Viewed 27661 times
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

Once my back recovered from yardwork yesterday, I decided to pop the engine out of the subframe in the hopes that someday soon the sun will shine again and I can take it outside and clean it up!

Got that accomplished today thanks to the loan of an engine hoist from MiniX2 (thanks, John!) and now I'll start tearing it down. the heads' going off for some hardened seats so I can run unleaded gas, I'll pull the diff and swap to some taller gears, although the housing says 3:34 gears are in it (I didn't know they made a 3:34, all I've seen is a 3:44) so they're not as short as I thought. I'm still going for the 2:76 and hope it will pull them OK on the highway.

I'll pull the clutch and fly wheel and then the drop gears housing so I can modify it for the breather - while it's out I can change the clutch disc if it's worn.

Then it will be into clean and paint mode till it's time to re-assemble....
Attachments
Motor workR.jpg
Motor workR.jpg (57.03 KiB) Viewed 27642 times
IMG_0631R.jpg
IMG_0631R.jpg (194.81 KiB) Viewed 27642 times
IMG_0630R.jpg
IMG_0630R.jpg (193.55 KiB) Viewed 27642 times
IMG_0626R.jpg
IMG_0626R.jpg (197.08 KiB) Viewed 27642 times
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
Zack
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Zack »

Would love to come down some time and help ya with that car. Learn a little about auto repair. Especially on a classic
Bruno - 2022 JCW
Former MINI's
2006 R53 Mini Cooper S
2011 R55 Mini Cooper Clubman
2013 R56 Mini Cooper S JCW
2008 R56 MINI Cooper S JCW
2014 R55 MINI JCW Clubman
2017 F56 MINI Cooper S JCW
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

Thanks for the offer Zack, but I find I do better alone....less chance of forgetting something or how I took it apart and so on.....
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

Hmmm, this looks an awfully lot like a blown or at least failing head gasket.....
Attachments
IMG_0636R.jpg
IMG_0636R.jpg (226.75 KiB) Viewed 27192 times
IMG_0634R.jpg
IMG_0634R.jpg (129.27 KiB) Viewed 27192 times
IMG_0633R.jpg
IMG_0633R.jpg (88.16 KiB) Viewed 27192 times
Last edited by Minidave on Thu Feb 25, 2016 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

Took the head down to KC Engine's this am for refurbishment....he'll install the hardened seats, skim it slightly and give it a good valve job. I'm going to go ahead and finish disassembling the block and take it up to school to do some accurate measuring of the bores for size and taper. The engine was supposedly overbored .060, but I'm concerned now that I've seen what was done with the head that I may have been misled - it was supposed to have been rebuilt about 5k miles ago. Now's the time to find out and make it right....

One thing's sure, based on the carbon on the head and tops of the pistons it's been burning a lot of oil.

I'm not very happy at the moment. :wtf:

I got the worst of the crud cleaned off the subframe, next I'll take a wire brush to it, then clean it again and put a coat of black Rustoleum on it.
Attachments
IMG_0637R.jpg
IMG_0637R.jpg (134.98 KiB) Viewed 27192 times
Last edited by Minidave on Thu Feb 25, 2016 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

Well, I got the puller I needed to pull the flywheel off (thanks MiniX2) so I'm ready to take the rest of the engine apart, I'll get started on tha tomorrow.

Today I worked on the subframe - I got all of the suspension removed so now all I need to do is clean it all up and get a good coat of paint on it. It's in remarkably good shape other than being a little bent up in a couple of places - those were easily fixed with a little hammer and dolly work.
Attachments
IMG_0645R.jpg
IMG_0645R.jpg (167.6 KiB) Viewed 27192 times
IMG_0642R.jpg
IMG_0642R.jpg (123.81 KiB) Viewed 27192 times
Last edited by Minidave on Thu Feb 25, 2016 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

Since I had the puller, I decided to get on with tearing the engine down to see exactly what I have.....so far everything I've found is very positive....

The clutch disc looks almost new.

It has a duplex (double row) timing chain.

The pistons are .060 oversized.

The crank looks good, and they used ARP nuts on the rods - that's good stuff.

All in all, it looks pretty positive but I still need to do some measuring and see if I can hone it out a little, and I'm still not sure why it was burning so much oil. I may have to have some machine work done on the block yet - such as the cylinder hone and surfacing the deck to make sure it's flat and true.

A few pics to show the work....
Attachments
Clutch disc look good
Clutch disc look good
IMG_2544R.jpg (195.82 KiB) Viewed 27598 times
Flywheel's easy to get off with the proper tools!
Flywheel's easy to get off with the proper tools!
IMG_2545R.jpg (236.56 KiB) Viewed 27598 times
You have to set the engine at TDC so this won't fall out and jam
You have to set the engine at TDC so this won't fall out and jam
IMG_2547R.jpg (154.86 KiB) Viewed 27598 times
This is how the power gets from the engine to the trans - drop gears
This is how the power gets from the engine to the trans - drop gears
IMG_2549R.jpg (204.08 KiB) Viewed 27598 times
Duplex timing chain
Duplex timing chain
IMG_2550R.jpg (209.37 KiB) Viewed 27598 times
Splitting the engine from the transmission
Splitting the engine from the transmission
IMG_2551R.jpg (216.81 KiB) Viewed 27598 times
Piston shows .060 over
Piston shows .060 over
IMG_2552R.jpg (114.8 KiB) Viewed 27598 times
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

As the Mini turns.....

Well, here's where I'm at - basically it's a total (and expensive) rebuild of the motor.

The head needed "everything", as in new seats on both intake and exhaust, which meant new valves (stellite coated on the exhaust @ $25 ea), resurface, new guides, seals, valve job etc - total cost parts and labor - $635! :shock:

Today I pulled the crankshaft out and got some more "good" news - I haven't mic'd the bores yet but based on the wear patterns I'm seeing I think they're toast. To fix that since it's already bored as far as it can go means re-sleeving the block @ $125 hole. If I take it back to stock 1275, then I have to buy new pistons and have the rotating assembly rebalanced too. If I go .60 over again and anything happens, I have to re-sleeve it again, but I could probably reuse my pistons and I wouldn't have to rebalance.

I'm hoping the crank is OK and just needs a good micropolish, still that's $125....

Camshaft - at least 2 flat lobes. I could have it reground, but that costs as much as a new camshaft. Buying a new cam means returning the old one for core or paying the $100 core charge. Of course that also means new lifters, and I should get new rockers to take advantage of the extra performance available with a hotter cam. Also new bearings of course.....

Mo money, MO money, MO money!

Of course I still need the spring kit to replace the worn out donuts in it now, and the trans gears, and all the bits and bobs for the front suspension......

My $200 hardened valve seats and valve job has just gone over the moon!
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
DA MINI
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by DA MINI »

But the fun factor is priceless!
Mr. F56
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

Brought the head home today, see the before/after pics....

I took the block down, he'll drop it in the hot tank for the weekend and it will come out like new, then he set it up to check the line bore and bore it if needed. After that he'll bore it out for new cylinder sleeves.

The crank will get boiled out too, then micro-polished - hopefully that's all.

I'm researching cams as this one's worn out - he says it's from running modern engine oils that have no zinc in them - a lot of guys with older style engines are finding this to be a real problem. I run the ZDDP additive in the Jag....

I got a coat of self etch primer on the subframe and tomorrow I'll get a good coat of black on it, then set it aside to cure for a week or so.
After it came out of the hot tub it was really clean and rust free....

I'm also planning to take a bunch of suspension bits up to school and use the glass bead blaster on them, they'll look like new when done.
Attachments
IMG_0633R.jpg
IMG_0633R.jpg (88.16 KiB) Viewed 27192 times
IMG_2555R.jpg
IMG_2555R.jpg (81.91 KiB) Viewed 27192 times
IMG_2562R.jpg
IMG_2562R.jpg (137.18 KiB) Viewed 27192 times
IMG_2561R.jpg
IMG_2561R.jpg (91.94 KiB) Viewed 27192 times
Last edited by Minidave on Thu Feb 25, 2016 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

Forgot to post the finished pic!

Considering it's just brush on Rustoleum, I think it turned out great!

Today was header wrap day, this should help keep underhood temps down a bit and maybe even make it a tiny bit quieter. Jet Hot or some ceramic coating will last longer and work better, but this is far less expensive and should work just fine for what I do. The kit was all of $23 shipped and I still have half of it left, so if I need to I can do it again!

Besides, I think it looks pretty cool! 8)
Attachments
IMG_2567R.jpg
IMG_2567R.jpg (123.92 KiB) Viewed 27192 times
Last edited by Minidave on Thu Feb 25, 2016 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

Today I bought a Sprite block to replace mine, which is worn too much to be serviceable with my setup, it's still a perfectly serviceable block but would require more money spent on it than I have. The block I bought is already .040 over so we'll take it back to .060 over and I can re-use my pistons.

There's very little difference between the two despite one being front drive transverse and the other being rear drive longitudinal....the rear main cap is different, made to hold a seal on the Sprite that the Mini doesn't have since it's trans is the sump. Other than that there's virtually no difference.

Today I cleaned and painted a few suspension parts....I'm trying to get all the little bits and bobs ready so that when the block comes back and the parts arrive from Old Blighty, I can start putting it back together.
Attachments
IMG_2568R.jpg
IMG_2568R.jpg (160.22 KiB) Viewed 27192 times
Last edited by Minidave on Thu Feb 25, 2016 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

I know it's cliché, but I like my lipstick red Mini calipers!

This is just the first coat, and the camera didn't catch the color very well, but they're gonna look good once they're done. I may not get any more paint on them tonight, the rain's coming in....

Just a few of the buckets full of bits I need to clean and/or paint.......and they'll get new brake hoses too of course.
Attachments
IMG_2571R.jpg
IMG_2571R.jpg (115.89 KiB) Viewed 27536 times
IMG_2570R.jpg
IMG_2570R.jpg (133.13 KiB) Viewed 27536 times
Last edited by Minidave on Thu Feb 25, 2016 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"