R56 Oil Leak

General discussions related to MINIs and Minis
MiniManiac
MINIAC
MINIAC

R56 Oil Leak

Post by MiniManiac »

I guess my R56 was jealous of all of attention that I was giving to the Classic so the R56 decided to spring an oil leak. What the hell? It appears to be coming from the oil pan (not drain plug) but I can't be sure until I get under it.

I just dropped some $$$ on fixing the oil pan gasket on the Honda Odyssey and now this leak!
Seth
08 MCS - JCW
1974/1993 Classic Mini - 70 WHP!
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Re: R56 Oil Leak

Post by Minidave »

They just did a timing chain, check to see if the tensioner is loose. It's on the right rear of the cylinder head, you can put a wrench on it. If it's not tight, just tighten it up real good.

If it's not that you're going to have to look carefully, but dollars to donuts it's due to something that was worked on recently, in my experience.
Hi! My name's Dave!

'09 LB/LB Clubman S - "Max"
89 Mini "Racing Green"
94 SPi Project (The Hot Rod)
MiniManiac
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by MiniManiac »

Minidave wrote:They just did a timing chain, check to see if the tensioner is loose. It's on the right rear of the cylinder head, you can put a wrench on it. If it's not tight, just tighten it up real good.

If it's not that you're going to have to look carefully, but dollars to donuts it's due to something that was worked on recently, in my experience.
That is my guess as well. The final dripping spot is just under the drivers side. It could be originating from somewhere else though.
Seth
08 MCS - JCW
Sspreso
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Sspreso »

Driveline/Transmission seals?
-John Herrman
2012 JCW Coupe aka 'Taz'
-If you car doesn't try to kill you, it's under modded.
MiniManiac
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by MiniManiac »

Sspreso wrote:Driveline/Transmission seals?
I hope not but that is where the oil is coming from. However, it doesn't that is where it is originating.
Seth
08 MCS - JCW
MiniManiac
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by MiniManiac »

I put the R56 on a lift today and the oil appears to be coming from the filter. I am going to clean it up and put a wrench on the filter to see if it tightens up a bit. I am always scared of over torquing these types of filters so I may have put it on too loose.
Seth
08 MCS - JCW
MiniManiac
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by MiniManiac »

I double checked the oil filter an it is good plus there isn't any oil on or around the seem. There is however quite a bit of oil in an area below the filter. I am at a loss for this one. It looks like I will be headed to Baron for a diagnosis.
Seth
08 MCS - JCW
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

Maybe they (you?) nicked the o-ring when they put the filter back on? it's easy to do, just ask Zack! he played Exxon Valdez in my garage one day..... :D

Be careful about overtightening that plastic oil filter canister! More than a few people have broken the end right out of it....the oil cooler attaches right there next to the filter too.
Hi! My name's Dave!

'09 LB/LB Clubman S - "Max"
89 Mini "Racing Green"
94 SPi Project (The Hot Rod)
MiniManiac
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by MiniManiac »

Minidave wrote:Maybe they (you?) nicked the o-ring when they put the filter back on? it's easy to do, just ask Zack! he played Exxon Valdez in my garage one day..... :D

Be careful about overtightening that plastic oil filter canister! More than a few people have broken the end right out of it....the oil cooler attaches right there next to the filter too.
Hmmm.....I really don't know. I think the filter is good.
Seth
08 MCS - JCW
REDSLED

Post by REDSLED »

If there is oil on the driverside of the head just above the filter housing then its your vacuum pump, it will track down the head and then cover the harness to the aux water pump before tracking down the trans. If this isn't it then its likely your filter housing gaskets are leaking between the block and filter housing or between the housing and the cooler. All are a lot easier to see with the complete airbox assembly removed.
MiniManiac
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by MiniManiac »

REDSLED wrote:If there is oil on the driverside of the head just above the filter housing then its your vacuum pump, it will track down the head and then cover the harness to the aux water pump before tracking down the trans. If this isn't it then its likely your filter housing gaskets are leaking between the block and filter housing or between the housing and the cooler. All are a lot easier to see with the complete airbox assembly removed.
Spot on!!

I can't get it to Baron this week but their over-the-phone diagnosis is the filter housing gasket. Very $$$ to fix, so it may be a garage day project.
Seth
08 MCS - JCW
REDSLED

Post by REDSLED »

If you do have to go in and do the filter housing gaskets id suggest you do the turbo lines at the same time as they are a common leak point and they require the same labor. It will save you either a lot of time or money in the long run.
MiniManiac
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by MiniManiac »

REDSLED wrote:If you do have to go in and do the filter housing gaskets id suggest you do the turbo lines at the same time as they are a common leak point and they require the same labor. It will save you either a lot of time or money in the long run.
Do you work at Baron? :lol: They suggested the exact same thing for 1K bucks!!!!
Seth
08 MCS - JCW
REDSLED

Post by REDSLED »

Guilty as charged. I've seen my share of them.
MiniManiac
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by MiniManiac »

REDSLED wrote:Guilty as charged. I've seen my share of them.
Boo on this repair. Now, there is a weird vibration noise. :evil:
Seth
08 MCS - JCW
Counterfit_Mini
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Counterfit_Mini »

I've got the same leak on my MINI :(
Hi my name's Stephanie...
Max- 2024 Mini Cooper S All4 Clubman