Last free service.

General discussions related to MINIs and Minis
DA MINI
MINIAC
MINIAC

Last free service.

Post by DA MINI »

Third anniversary on the 2011 Countryman. Free oil change, brake fluid flush, cabin filter, and wiper blades. Not to mention checking tire pressure, wiper fluid, etc. And of course measuring tire tread depth. 2MM on all tires - even wear so no rotation. But we wouild like to sell you a new set of tires before winter. Only $1010.54 including all shop supplies &tax. I'll be jumping on that one for sure.
Nice loaner though. 2014 BMW 320i, that's the cheapie that has the same engine as the new MINI. Ran pretty good in SPORT mode - nlot so much in
ECO Mode. Tried the stop/start once. That was enough.
Mr. F56
IowaM1N1
MINIAC
MINIAC

Re: Last free service.

Post by IowaM1N1 »

Tire Rack did some research showing that tire performance falls off drastically below 4/32" (3.2mm).

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech ... techid=157

"The Tire Rack's advice is that if rain and wet roads are a concern, you should consider replacing your tires when they reach approximately 4/32" of remaining tread depth. Since water can't be compressed, you need enough tread depth to allow the rain to escape through the tire's grooves. If the water can't escape fast enough, your vehicle's tires will be forced to hydroplane (float) on top of the water, losing traction and increasing stopping distances.

Additionally, if snow-covered roads are a concern, you should consider replacing your tires when they reach approximately 5/32" of remaining tread depth to maintain good mobility. You need more tread depth in snow because your tires need to compress the snow in their grooves and release it as they roll. If there isn't sufficient tread depth, the "bites" of snow your tires can take on each revolution will be reduced to "nibbles," and your vehicle's traction and mobility will be sacrificed."
Greg
'19 Emerald Grey/Chili Red JCW (F56) <---- Greg's car
'08 Dark Silver/Black Cooper S convertible JCW (R52) <---- Greg's other car
'02 BRG/White Cooper (R50) Iowa plate: M1N1 <-----Judy's car
Des Moines/KC/whatever
IowaM1N1
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by IowaM1N1 »

Sorry, just realized that may have come across as judgmental. Certainly not my intent. You've been a car guy for a long time and I have faith that you know what you are doing with your tires.

I was using it as an opportunity to help educate some of our less tech-savvy members, and to share some really practical research done by Tire Rack.

What tires do you think you are going to go with as replacements?
Greg
'19 Emerald Grey/Chili Red JCW (F56) <---- Greg's car
'08 Dark Silver/Black Cooper S convertible JCW (R52) <---- Greg's other car
'02 BRG/White Cooper (R50) Iowa plate: M1N1 <-----Judy's car
Des Moines/KC/whatever
DA MINI
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by DA MINI »

Haven't given a thought to replace tires. Just got a new furnace and toilet not to mention the IRS is expecting a check from me. Certainly not spending $250 a tire.
Mr. F56
davester
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by davester »

At our age, the toilet ranks close to the top of the list-- fer sure
2015 F56 S hatchback-Electric Blue/Black, Cold Weather Package,Premium Package, Sport Package and a lot of other crap. "BRUISER"

They call me David
Former MINI's
2004 R53 "Stubby"
2012 R58 Coupe "Deuce"
BLUGOOSE
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by BLUGOOSE »

Or your supply of Depends Bob,can't forget those!!!! :wave:
2005 MCS Hyper Blue, auto, chrono, cold, H/K, roof, Milltek Sport, DDMWorks CAI, M7 Strut Plate,"Todd Graphics",R-90s
DA MINI
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by DA MINI »

BLUGOOSE wrote:Or your supply of Depends Bob,can't forget those!!!! :wave:

Just need to borrow some of yours Frank.
Mr. F56