Garmin Nuvi 360/factory mount

General discussions related to MINIs and Minis
ragtopday Johnna
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Garmin Nuvi 360/factory mount

Post by ragtopday Johnna »

I'm having trouble with my GPS and looking for options.

I have the Nuvi 360 MINI edition (Garmin made MINI, BMW 3 series, Hyundai and Ford models). The dealer installed the mount and hardwired the power. It's a great set-up, but it never crossed my mind that the GPS would eventually give up and I would be left with essentially a non-functioning mount and wiring system.

Today I tried to get it repaired via Garmin. Their website says, "This model can no longer be repaired." Ugh. It is no longer picking up satellites unless the car isn't moving. If I'm at a long stoplight, it might pick up the satellites and keep on track for about 5 miles, but it doesn't work when moving.

Anyone with experience with this model? Or know someone who wants to sell theirs? Or, or, or... I'm at a loss here. :?
Johnna--BMPR CR '05 Chili Red JustaCVT, JCW Sound Kit #D344, JCW BBK, aFe cai, M7 Under Strut System, strut tower plates, Sparkly wheel arches, a little chrome. Garage-sharing w/ '12 Goodwood MCS #372, '06 MCS "Jack" and MiniX4's classic, Moxie.
DA MINI
MINIAC
MINIAC

Re: Garmin Nuvi 360/factory mount

Post by DA MINI »

Houston, we have a problem. SOL probably.
Mr. F56
nine5raptor
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by nine5raptor »

Are all the Nuvi 360s the same? If so, looks like Amazon has some used ones listed.

http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-3-5-Inch-B ... n+nuvi+360
2010 MCS CR/W with some custom vinyl, JCW sport suspension (minus FSB), CNT cat back, Add a brake, Alta AP, Devil's Own H2O/Meth Injection, random other little stuff, and some good ol' mud flaps
mcconned
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by mcconned »

Is this different from a "regular" Garmin Nuvi 360? I looked on Ebay and Amazon on all Nuvi 360's listed were used.
Dan McConnell
SCCA-Sports Car Club of America.
ragtopday Johnna
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

It is different from the "regular" 360s in that it says "MINI" on the case, the wallpaper screen is the MINI logo, the icon options on the screen are MINIs, it has all of the MINI dealer addresses in the country pre-loaded. None of these options is essential to me.

What is essential to me is that the unit click into the bracket on my steering wheel. That bracket includes the hard-wired power source. I'd rather not have to re-wire something.

I spent an hour on the phone this afternoon with Garmin tech support, really terrific folks. They have a department that specializes in Garmin Auto OEM devices. They were able to round up an antique GPS like mine (not MINI-specific) and confirm that any of the Nuvi 360s should fit into the MINI bracket and charge. They also walked me through some reset options that we had not yet tried (no luck). Amazon and eBay, here I come... :lol:
Johnna--BMPR CR '05 Chili Red JustaCVT, JCW Sound Kit #D344, JCW BBK, aFe cai, M7 Under Strut System, strut tower plates, Sparkly wheel arches, a little chrome. Garage-sharing w/ '12 Goodwood MCS #372, '06 MCS "Jack" and MiniX4's classic, Moxie.
ragtopday Johnna
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

And in the latest update, MiniX2 read online that you can strip the plastic off of a twist tie from a loaf of bread, stick the wire into the external antenna port on the GPS and it might work. Gonna give that a try as soon as we can find a twist tie. Cuz we're classy like that. :lol:
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

I have a Nuvi 7XX something that I'm pretty sure is the exact same case - it's the one in Rose's car - if it is you're not restricted to just a 360 or whatever. I'll bring it Sat night if you want me too - we're thinking of upgrading her so we might make you a smoking deal on it - it still works perfectly. As long as the power cord matches (I'm pretty certain it does) and the case is the same it will work.
Hi! My name's Dave!

'09 LB/LB Clubman S - "Max"
89 Mini "Racing Green"
94 SPi Project (The Hot Rod)
ragtopday Johnna
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Minidave wrote:I have a Nuvi 7XX something that I'm pretty sure is the exact same case - it's the one in Rose's car - if it is you're not restricted to just a 360 or whatever. I'll bring it Sat night if you want me too - we're thinking of upgrading her so we might make you a smoking deal on it - it still works perfectly. As long as the power cord matches (I'm pretty certain it does) and the case is the same it will work.
I would love to give it a try, MiniDave. The Garmin folks seemed to think a 350 or 360 would fit, but I'm willing to try just about anything.

MiniX2 did have some success with the twist tie antenna, able to connect to one satellite. Guessing it is an antenna issue so he spent $20 to order a new antenna and will take it apart to see if he can fix it. Plenty of folks online with similar issues with the units that had flip-up antennas.
boxer
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by boxer »

We here in Johnson County are lucky that the world headquarters for Garmin is located in Olathe, KS. They are located at 151 street and I-35 and have a customer service location onsite. I have used them many times to ask questions and purchase parts for my NUVI 755T. Just a heads ups. :ds: Hope this helps.
2003 Dark Silver Metallic MINI Cooper S.
ragtopday Johnna
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

boxer wrote:We here in Johnson County are lucky that the world headquarters for Garmin is located in Olathe, KS. They are located at 151 street and I-35 and have a customer service location onsite. I have used them many times to ask questions and purchase parts for my NUVI 755T. Just a heads ups. :ds: Hope this helps.
I knew I was talking to folks across town yesterday, but didn't know they have an onsite customer service center. I probably would have driven oven there! Unfortunately, they don't stock parts for my antique GPS any longer, but having them take a look at it would have been great. Filing this tidbit of info away for future reference. Thanks!
MiniManiac
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by MiniManiac »

ragtopday wrote:
boxer wrote:We here in Johnson County are lucky that the world headquarters for Garmin is located in Olathe, KS. They are located at 151 street and I-35 and have a customer service location onsite. I have used them many times to ask questions and purchase parts for my NUVI 755T. Just a heads ups. :ds: Hope this helps.
I knew I was talking to folks across town yesterday, but didn't know they have an onsite customer service center. I probably would have driven oven there! Unfortunately, they don't stock parts for my antique GPS any longer, but having them take a look at it would have been great. Filing this tidbit of info away for future reference. Thanks!
Get it fixed. Stay Old School!!
Seth
08 MCS - JCW
1974/1993 Classic Mini - 70 WHP!
Laurie
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Laurie »

Another tidbit to file away, The Garmin headquarters in Gardner is directly across the street from a Taco John's. :wink:
~Laurie~

2022 Midnight Black Metalic MINI Cooper SE “Electric Boogie”
2005 Chili Red MCS "Kevin"

2016 Blazing Red Metallic 4 door MCS
RIP 2013 Blazing Red Metallic Justa Countryman

First MINI 2005 Black Eye Purple MCS
ragtopday Johnna
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Laurie wrote:Another tidbit to file away, The Garmin headquarters in Gardner is directly across the street from a Taco John's. :wink:
Olé!
Sspreso
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Sspreso »

Bah, the Jumping Catfish is the better eating option.
-John Herrman
2012 JCW Coupe aka 'Taz'
-If you car doesn't try to kill you, it's under modded.
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

Dang it Johnna, we had the Audi right next to your car at the drive-in and we didn't try the Garmin to see if it fits - I'm sure it will, but if you want to send your old one down with John on Sat, we can compare to see if the mount's the same. BTW, I can transfer all your pics and flash files to this one, plus I can install a file that makes your pointer into a Mini - your color and a convertible too! This one has Bluetooth, MP3 player and it will answer your phone handsfree if you want it too!
Hi! My name's Dave!

'09 LB/LB Clubman S - "Max"
89 Mini "Racing Green"
94 SPi Project (The Hot Rod)
ragtopday Johnna
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

UPDATE: $25 in parts from Portatronics and 15 minutes of MiniX2's time and I'm all set!

The Nuvi 360 parts aren't available thru Garmin any longer, but are available from Portatronics. They shipped fast, the repair was easy (especially for me :lol: ) and it works even better than before, probably because Garmin walked me through a hard reset that wiped out all of my old data.