93 in the Northland?

General discussions related to MINIs and Minis
ragtopday Johnna
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

93 in the Northland?

Post by ragtopday Johnna »

It was suggested to me that I try putting gas in from someplace other than the station I frequent. I have an undiagnosable issue that hasn't become worse for over a year but nothing has made it better either. That said, where can I buy 93 in the Northland other than at the Liberty BP?
Johnna--BMPR CR '05 Chili Red JustaCVT, JCW Sound Kit #D344, JCW BBK, aFe cai, M7 Under Strut System, strut tower plates, Sparkly wheel arches, a little chrome. Garage-sharing w/ '12 Goodwood MCS #372, '06 MCS "Jack" and MiniX4's classic, Moxie.
SWT CHI

Re: 93 in the Northland?

Post by SWT CHI »

It's more about the available number of hydrogens that translates to HP, and not isooctane.
Meaning, 91 pure gas is equivalent to 93 w/ 10%+ EtOH; however, pure gas has more available hydrogens aka more free energy.
EtOH is hygroscopic, which is temperature dependent. How's your "lifetime" fuel filter?

http://pure-gas.org/index.jsp and there's also an i-app.
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

She put a new one in recently, along with a new pump.....and remember, they never said "whose" lifetime...... :mrgreen:

Is there anyplace in town that sells 93 without ethanol?

and Mark, what the heck are you doing in DC? That'll be a long drive for a shop day! :roll: :mrgreen:
Hi! My name's Dave!

'09 LB/LB Clubman S - "Max"
89 Mini "Racing Green"
94 SPi Project (The Hot Rod)
Zack
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Zack »

Minidave wrote:She put a new one in recently, along with a new pump.....and remember, they never said "whose" lifetime...... :mrgreen:

and Mark, what the heck are you doing in DC? That'll be a long drive for a shop day! :roll: :mrgreen:
Are there any HyVee's in KC? I know that they have 91 octane without ethanol I believe. I'm using 91 octane non-ethanol from a local gas station in Lawrence, since the dealership said the rattle sound I was hearing under hard acceleration was engine knock from low octane. Had been using 91 octane from Kwik Shop.
Bruno - 2022 JCW
Former MINI's
2006 R53 Mini Cooper S
2011 R55 Mini Cooper Clubman
2013 R56 Mini Cooper S JCW
2008 R56 MINI Cooper S JCW
2014 R55 MINI JCW Clubman
2017 F56 MINI Cooper S JCW
BLUGOOSE
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by BLUGOOSE »

The Hy-Vees up north sell 91octane pure gas.Only places I know of.
2005 MCS Hyper Blue, auto, chrono, cold, H/K, roof, Milltek Sport, DDMWorks CAI, M7 Strut Plate,"Todd Graphics",R-90s
SWT CHI

Post by SWT CHI »

Minidave wrote:
Investigate the Pure Gas website, or download the free i-app and integrates with you're phablet's mapping app.

No such thang as 93 pure. Best available choice for the engine is 91 pure. Irrelevant what the engine is capable of running, e.g. EtOH blended fuel. Pucky. It'll burn 87, it'll burn distillates, too. You should see what it does to the tank, piping, and submersible pump components at a gass station. Other options: gas at the track, the marina, the airport. However, airport may contain Pb, IDK.

Hy-Vee labels 91 pure at the pump, if they have it. More do than don't. If there is no label, likely it's not pure. Kansass has no rule to label the pump w/ EtOH stickers. Missura does have a rule. So here's some backstory about EtOH, which I've posted before... E10 is permitted technically, which pretty much means really has up to, but not more than 15% EtOH. Industries pushed E15 into existence. The longer EtOH is exposed to air, the more water from the atmosphere it soaks up. The cooler, the more... I've only seen a car engine run on water on the interwebz. It's cool, so it ain't heat soak. Which...? ...fuel and/or ignition. Pump, hose, filters, and then the bang part. Here's Dave...
Minidave wrote:and Mark, what the heck are you doing in DC? That'll be a long drive for a shop day! :roll: :mrgreen:
I am not working on the RFS, but I got a mini-rotation. I'm taking the Metro and I got the capital hill blues on U Street; I did not drive the MINI this time. So I've been home several weekends to stomp my foot on the floor on city streets...

I've got some sweaty power steering hoses to replace. And, would consider installing the electric Spal fan as well. Thoughts from the trolls and the peanut gallery?
SWT CHI

Post by SWT CHI »

Zackattack28 wrote:
Minidave wrote:I'm using 91 octane non-ethanol from a local gas station in Lawrence, since the dealership said the rattle sound I was hearing under hard acceleration was engine knock from low octane. Had been using 91 octane from Kwik Shop.
Is this case as well, the delta, again, is negligible. It's heat soak, and the answer is a larger intercooler. Oops, nevermind, you are in the new car market.
mcconned
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by mcconned »

Johnna, you may want to check QuikTrip. I beoive I read they have 93.

According to this site only the HyVee has 93 BUT this site is based on individuals posting locations so it could very well be outdated.

http://pure-gas.org/index.jsp?stateprov=MO
Dan McConnell
SCCA-Sports Car Club of America.
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

Mark, your quote was wrong, it was Zack's car that was pinging on low octane, not mine.....just FYI.

PS hoses are a bit of a pain to change, but do-able - the fan is easy - 2 bolts and it's off. Good idea to do them all at once.....
Hi! My name's Dave!

'09 LB/LB Clubman S - "Max"
89 Mini "Racing Green"
94 SPi Project (The Hot Rod)