Might be upgrading

General discussions related to MINIs and Minis
Zack
MINIAC
MINIAC

Might be upgrading

Post by Zack »

I am now considering selling Oliver. I have just shelled out enough money to cover a car payment and a months worth of gas and am seriously considering selling or trading him in for a newer R55, R56, or even ordering an F56. If I go F56 route I would like to introduce you to the two choices I am considering for Oliver's successor.

I have spec'd out two versions. One in Pepper White and the other in Volcanic Orange. One reason for these colors is they don't cost extra.

So meet Nigel

And for those who get this if you ever watched "Who Framed Roger Rabbit", Meet Benny
Bruno - 2022 JCW
Former MINI's
2006 R53 Mini Cooper S
2011 R55 Mini Cooper Clubman
2013 R56 Mini Cooper S JCW
2008 R56 MINI Cooper S JCW
2014 R55 MINI JCW Clubman
2017 F56 MINI Cooper S JCW
SWT CHI

Re: Might be upgrading

Post by SWT CHI »

If you're serious about upgrading then I'm so quite interested in discussing the purchase of a couple of pull-offs from ya.
MiniManiac
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by MiniManiac »

What are the specs?
Seth
08 MCS - JCW
1974/1993 Classic Mini - 70 WHP!
Zack
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Zack »

MiniManiac wrote:What are the specs?
Nothing is definite yet. If I'm going to be ordering, I will be finalizing the specs with my dad. He usually can get it down to what I need and don't need. They both have stick, and sunroof, and the sport package. The LED headlights. Dynamic dampers instead of sport suspension, black 16" wheels, media package, cold weather package. I would have added the driving lights and the Union Jack side scuttle details on the Nigel one but it got expensive so I left them off. If I go with Benny version, I am having Todd do checkerboard Taxi stripes down the lower sides.
Bruno - 2022 JCW
Former MINI's
2006 R53 Mini Cooper S
kenshin138
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by kenshin138 »

So why not an S? You might be able to swing an S in the same price-range by dropping some of the options. Though I seem to remember you mentioning frustration with your's and looking at a Justa Cooper because you didn't want to deal with FI? You do know all the F56 are turbocharged now right?

Looks like Baron has a used 2011 Justa in Pepper White for $16,796. Has 27k miles on it. Could easily get an extended warranty for it. They also have a 2011 S for $18,867 with 37k.

One final suggestion, and bear with me since I haven't been around a whole lot, but you seem concerned about reliability quite a bit. I don't know your financials or whatnot, though I might suggest too considering a non-MINI product. Obviously we are all here because we like MINI for various reasons. However, there are lot of other options out there that may be better as a reliable, fun, daily driver. There are several used 2012+ Civic SI's in the area for under 20k. The SI is a great car. Check this Motor Trend review which I think is fairly honest: http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/hat ... der_30000/

Food for thought.
Ryan
'12 MB/MB MCSa
Zack
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Zack »

From a reliability stand point after reading consumer reports, Mini after January 2011 is rather reliable and earns better reliability ratings than some Fords I was looking at. The build quality of the Mini is still fantastic, and the uniqueness of each individual car matches my unique personality. After looking around, a newer Mini seems the wisest choice for me. My car only starting having issues recently. I have only owned it for 3 years. The previous owner had it for 5 years. So that is another factor I took into consideration. My car, apart from a small gasket leak that's cheap to fix and a few cosmetic flaws, is now pretty much solid. Would easily be a good car for someone with a little more mechanical skills than me. After looking at the R56 and R55 and F56 (yes I am aware it's a turbo) they seem ideal. I test drove the white Justa a few weeks back. Loved it. Shifted nicely and everything. Just need to do something about those wheels haha. The Orange one I like as well, even if it is an automatic. Clutch repairs can be expensive. Not saying I burn out a clutch but they can be. So that's something to consider. I haven't pulled the trigger on anything yet. I have to see what my bank can give me loan wise before I make my next move. But within the next 4 months possibly, I may be motoring around in a newer Mini and mine will be off to someone else who will have just as much fun with it as I have. Plus it'll go with all the maintenance records I have from Baron plus every record showing what I bought for it from all the Mini parts suppliers over the years.
Bruno - 2022 JCW
Former MINI's
2006 R53 Mini Cooper S
ragtopday Johnna
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Post by ragtopday Johnna »

Would you consider keeping Oliver and getting an inexpensive non-MINI for daily driving? While I drive my MINI a lot, I also have a couple non-MINIs to get me down the road for less $. Is that an option?
Johnna--BMPR CR '05 Chili Red JustaCVT, JCW Sound Kit #D344, JCW BBK, aFe cai, M7 Under Strut System, strut tower plates, Sparkly wheel arches, a little chrome. Garage-sharing w/ '12 Goodwood MCS #372, '06 MCS "Jack" and MiniX4's classic, Moxie.
Zack
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Zack »

ragtopday wrote:Would you consider keeping Oliver and getting an inexpensive non-MINI for daily driving? While I drive my MINI a lot, I also have a couple non-MINIs to get me down the road for less $. Is that an option?
In theory that could work but I can't afford insurance on two cars.
Bruno - 2022 JCW
Former MINI's
2006 R53 Mini Cooper S
MiniManiac
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by MiniManiac »

If you want reliability, I would think about a 2013 S. All of the engine issues were worked-out by then (changed the engine LOL) so you would have your reliability and you could find some nice low mile options as well.

My 2008 JCW is the last new MINI that will be in my household. I am only keeping it around because the girls want to drive it. Going to get a 4 wheel drive rig (not a seaman) in the new future :).
Seth
08 MCS - JCW
Zack
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Zack »

MiniManiac wrote:If you want reliability, I would think about a 2013 S. All of the engine issues were worked-out by then (changed the engine LOL) so you would have your reliability and you could find some nice low mile options as well.

My 2008 JCW is the last new MINI that will be in my household. I am only keeping it around because the girls want to drive it. Going to get a 4 wheel drive rig (not a seaman) in the new future :).
Depending on whAt I can afford, Baron has some cheap brand new 2014 Clubmans. If I keep my Rotas, pop those on that car and viola.
Bruno - 2022 JCW
Former MINI's
2006 R53 Mini Cooper S
MiniManiac
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by MiniManiac »

Zackattack28 wrote:
MiniManiac wrote:If you want reliability, I would think about a 2013 S. All of the engine issues were worked-out by then (changed the engine LOL) so you would have your reliability and you could find some nice low mile options as well.

Depending on whAt I can afford, Baron has some cheap brand new 2014 Clubmans. If I keep my Rotas, pop those on that car and viola.
Be wary of the engine on which one you are choosing. I suggested the 2013 because it had all of the kinks worked out. The 2014 engine only lasted one model year is already being replaced. Of course the clubby is a different story. :)
Seth
08 MCS - JCW
s1-
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by s1- »

In my opinion the problem with a new Mini Cooper S is going to be that $30k+ price tag. You like adding additional upgrades and tinkering with the car so why not buy something used for about $10k less and invest the difference back into the car. Then you would really end up with a truly unique car and all the options you want.
Zack
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Zack »

s1- wrote:In my opinion the problem with a new Mini Cooper S is going to be that $30k+ price tag. You like adding additional upgrades and tinkering with the car so why not buy something used for about $10k less and invest the difference back into the car. Then you would really end up with a truly unique car and all the options you want.
Not doing any mechanix upgrades this time. Cosmetic maybe but with a car payment this time around I won't have the funds to mess with it.
Bruno - 2022 JCW
Former MINI's
2006 R53 Mini Cooper S
MiniManiac
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by MiniManiac »

Zackattack28 wrote:
s1- wrote:In my opinion the problem with a new Mini Cooper S is going to be that $30k+ price tag. You like adding additional upgrades and tinkering with the car so why not buy something used for about $10k less and invest the difference back into the car. Then you would really end up with a truly unique car and all the options you want.
Not doing any mechanix upgrades this time. Cosmetic maybe but with a car payment this time around I won't have the funds to mess with it.
That's the point he is trying to make. No car payment = money to upgrade it anyway you like.
Seth
08 MCS - JCW
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

I think you should get a brandy new Cooper (non S) that way you'll have warranty for 4 years and not have to spend ANYTHING on it but gas for three years. That way you can work on your career and getting some savings started.

FWIW.
Hi! My name's Dave!

'09 LB/LB Clubman S - "Max"
89 Mini "Racing Green"
94 SPi Project (The Hot Rod)
MiniManiac
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by MiniManiac »

Minidave wrote:I think you should get a brandy new Cooper (non S) that way you'll have warranty for 4 years and not have to spend ANYTHING on it but gas for three years. That way you can work on your career and getting some savings started.

FWIW.
Or.........he can do what any other reasonable student does and buy an inexpensive and reliable car (think Honda Accord) until you get yourself in a position to buy something else. That way, you don't have to rely on others for car payments or maintenance and it makes it even more exciting to buy something nice.

My .02
Seth
08 MCS - JCW
Zack
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Zack »

MiniManiac wrote:
Minidave wrote:I think you should get a brandy new Cooper (non S) that way you'll have warranty for 4 years and not have to spend ANYTHING on it but gas for three years. That way you can work on your career and getting some savings started.

FWIW.
Or.........he can do what any other reasonable student does and buy an inexpensive and reliable car (think Honda Accord) until you get yourself in a position to buy something else. That way, you don't have to rely on others for car payments or maintenance and it makes it even more exciting to buy something nice.

My .02
While I appreciate your .02 Seth, I do have a job and I do pay for my own maintenance. I had a torn driver's side CV boot replaced a few weeks back and an alignment done and next month I'm having the oil cooler gasket leak fixed. The strut mounts are super sturdy now with those IE camber plates that I installed so if I do sell the car rather than trade it in, someone will definitely be getting a much more solid 2006 Mini Cooper than when I started.

I'm not a student anymore. I'm an architectural designer and artist for my family's company.

And I would never buy a Honda Accord. Too boring.
Bruno - 2022 JCW
Former MINI's
2006 R53 Mini Cooper S
kenshin138
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by kenshin138 »

http://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detai ... /overview/

Pepper White 2012 Justa Cooper. 15k miles. $16,200.
Ryan
'12 MB/MB MCSa
Zack
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Zack »

kenshin138 wrote:http://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detai ... /overview/

Pepper White 2012 Justa Cooper. 15k miles. $16,200.
Don't give it away lol. That's one of minis I am considering. Just wish it had black wheels. But I still have my Rota's. Fix the curb rash pop those on there and viola.
Bruno - 2022 JCW
Former MINI's
2006 R53 Mini Cooper S
s1-
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by s1- »

Zackattack28 wrote: And I would never buy a Honda Accord. Too boring.
I disagree. V6, 6 speed accords are pretty sweet and roughly $30k.
Zack
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Zack »

s1- wrote:
Zackattack28 wrote: And I would never buy a Honda Accord. Too boring.
I disagree. V6, 6 speed accords are pretty sweet and roughly $30k.
I dont think I could get a reasonable $30000 loan and if I did manage to get one why wouldn't I buy a brand new base model
Bruno - 2022 JCW
Former MINI's
2006 R53 Mini Cooper S
Zack
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Zack »

It's been decided, more or less. Still ironing out the details. But I am now in the market for a Cooper or Cooper S, or Clubman, Clubman S. Low mileage and at least heated seats. Not too concerned if it has a sunroof or not and not too concerned about the fog lights since those aren't difficult to buy the switches for and have programmed. Looking at R55, R56 2011 and up. Maximum is $20,000. So I will be looking around for a bit. I want it to be just right and low mileage. My car is mechanically sound now and should be easy to sell as we aren't going to be trading it in. Stay tuned.
Bruno - 2022 JCW
Former MINI's
2006 R53 Mini Cooper S
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

A NEW Cooper with cold weather pack is only about $22K, if you bought one off the lot or a service loaner you could easily get down to your price and have a new car with full warranty instead of a two or three year old car. Remember, that would give you 4 years of warranty - you'd have no costs at all for the first three years except gas and insurance.
Hi! My name's Dave!

'09 LB/LB Clubman S - "Max"
89 Mini "Racing Green"
94 SPi Project (The Hot Rod)
Zack
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Zack »

Minidave wrote:A NEW Cooper with cold weather pack is only about $22K, if you bought one off the lot or a service loaner you could easily get down to your price and have a new car with full warranty instead of a two or three year old car. Remember, that would give you 4 years of warranty - you'd have no costs at all for the first three years except gas and insurance.
One of the cars I am considering actually is a base model dealer loaner 2014 Countryman.
Bruno - 2022 JCW
Former MINI's
2006 R53 Mini Cooper S
MiniManiac
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by MiniManiac »

Zackattack28 wrote:
Minidave wrote:A NEW Cooper with cold weather pack is only about $22K, if you bought one off the lot or a service loaner you could easily get down to your price and have a new car with full warranty instead of a two or three year old car. Remember, that would give you 4 years of warranty - you'd have no costs at all for the first three years except gas and insurance.
One of the cars I am considering actually is a base model dealer loaner 2014 Countryman.
So, you decided to not get a MINI? :mrgreen:
Seth
08 MCS - JCW