Planning a group drive. Got any pointers?

General discussions related to MINIs and Minis
ragtopday Johnna
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Planning a group drive. Got any pointers?

Post by ragtopday Johnna »

Hi everyone! A nice gal who is new to the KC Club shared a fun idea for a drive with me today. She's interested in putting together a group drive but has never done that before.

Do you have pointers to share with her? I know many of you have put together drives and gatherings for the club members.
Johnna--BMPR CR '05 Chili Red JustaCVT, JCW Sound Kit #D344, JCW BBK, aFe cai, M7 Under Strut System, strut tower plates, Sparkly wheel arches, a little chrome. Garage-sharing w/ '12 Goodwood MCS #372, '06 MCS "Jack" and MiniX4's classic, Moxie.
matti the mini
MINIAC
MINIAC

Re: Planning a group drive. Got any pointers?

Post by matti the mini »

Here are a couple of pointers from drives I've lead and drives I've been in.

1. you drive the route many times to make sure you are familar with it
2. get a 2nd "leader" and position them in the middle of the pack - helps if the group gets spread out
3. do the following - if you can't see the car behind you, slow down, pull over where safe till they catch up - if everyone does that, it can help keep the group together.
4. have your contact info on the maps you pass out so if people do get separated, they know who to call to find out where to be next.
5. drive the route the day before to make sure there are no unexpected road closings or detours.
Bentley

Gertti - MCS '13 - BRG2, JCW Tuner Package, and more!

formerly:
Matti - MCS '004- BRG, premium, sport, cold, bonnet stripes, boot stripes, rally lights, window tint, nav - british voice mod, Helix CAI and 15% reduction pully, euro parcel shelf
mcconned
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by mcconned »

This is what I posted on the FB page, some of which was stated above. Walkie Talkies are a great idea.
"+1 to what Steve said. I've set up drives for several years and will share this with you...(1) Like Steve said, try to route it so you make mostly right turn so you are turning with traffic as opposed to against. (That is how UPS does it.) (2)Also, like Steve said, make sure the starting point has bathrooms, coffee, etc. (3) Depending on the distance you are traveling, schedule rest stops with bathrooms. (4)When traveling through metro area with, say 4+ lanes of traffic, have the drivers drive 2 wide. That makes it a LOT easier to get all through traffic lights. (5) Likewise if you're at a light with 2 turn lanes, use both lanes, for the same reason as mentioned above. (6)Always test drive the route to ensure the directions are correct and that all roads and bridges are open. This is also a good way to determine if the roads have been freshly oiled and/or oiled and gravel laid down. If I think of more I'll post. Good luck!"
Dan McConnell
SCCA-Sports Car Club of America.
ragtopday Johnna
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Thanks for the great input! I'm pasting in below additional input that was posted on the club's Facebook page:

From Steve R.: Not sure what traffic is like out by you, but we try to minimize left turns as much as reasonable.. Plan starting points that have access to bathrooms and coffee nearby. I've used www.gmap-pedometer.com/ for many years to help determine turn by turn distances and to look for fun roads before a pre-drive, but google is now also pretty good for modifying a custom route depending on how complex you are planning.

From Dan Mc: +1 to what Steve said. I've set up drives for several years and will share this with you...(1) Like Steve said, try to route it so you make mostly right turn so you are turning with traffic as opposed to against. (That is how UPS does it.) (2)Also, like Steve said, make sure the starting point has bathrooms, coffee, etc. (3) Depending on the distance you are traveling, schedule rest stops with bathrooms. (4)When traveling through metro area with, say 4+ lanes of traffic, have the drivers drive 2 wide. That makes it a LOT easier to get all through traffic lights. (5) Likewise if you're at a light with 2 turn lanes, use both lanes, for the same reason as mentioned above. (6)Always test drive the route to ensure the directions are correct and that all roads and bridges are open. This is also a good way to determine if the roads have been freshly oiled and/or oiled and gravel laid down. If I think of more I'll post. Good luck!

Also from Dan Mc: P.S. Walkie talkies are very helpful and, depending where you go, maybe better than cell phones.

From Mike Mc: In addition to what has been posted already, when planning rest stops, plan one about every 45 minutes. If you're stopping at a business let them know ahead of time that you will be stopping and bringing a group (if you have an estimate of number of people that's even better). Plan your stop with enough time for everyone to use facilities. Drive the route several times getting distance and times before typing the route sheets.

If possible, drive it the day before. The last drive we planned had road construction start the day before our run with one lane and torn up asphalt so we had to modify the route at the last minute.

More from Mike Mc: Also, have someone who has driven the route be the tail car (sweeper). If the group gets separated, they can help get the group back on course and together.

Expect a problem or two, but don't stress about them. Everyone is there to have fun...including you!
Johnna--BMPR CR '05 Chili Red JustaCVT, JCW Sound Kit #D344, JCW BBK, aFe cai, M7 Under Strut System, strut tower plates, Sparkly wheel arches, a little chrome. Garage-sharing w/ '12 Goodwood MCS #372, '06 MCS "Jack" and MiniX4's classic, Moxie.
ragtopday Johnna
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

I'll also share a few pointers of my own. I've put together a few drives, most successful. :wink:

Have a physical address available of end points and any points where the drive is stopping along the way. If someone gets off course or has to make an unscheduled pit stop, they can use the physical address in their GPS to re-connect with the group.

A sweeper and a mid-group driver familiar with the route are great. Encourage the sweeper to not leave slower drivers behind and actually stay at the back.

If you are stopping at businesses, confirm with them plenty in advance that it is fine with them that you come by with a large group. And then confirm again 24-48 hours in advance. Even after doing this, I have had one business act surprised when we arrived. It happens.

Perhaps the most important pointer I've got is flexibility. The last large drive I coordinated had a construction issue pop up within a week of the drive. A last minute re-route was necessary. And even after all of that, a running race interfered with what I had mapped. Folks had to route around it, some more successful that others. It's an adventure, a fun drive, not an opportunity to be cranky. Don't take it personally when that happens and know that we appreciate anyone who steps up to put an event together for us to enjoy. :D
mcconned
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by mcconned »

I just added this: Instruct the drivers that, when turning a corner, slow down, check your mirror, and confirm the car behind you sees you turning.
Dan McConnell
SCCA-Sports Car Club of America.