Squeakage @ the pulley assembly

General discussions related to MINIs and Minis
SWT CHI

Squeakage @ the pulley assembly

Post by SWT CHI »

I'm getting some squeakage at start-up somewhere in line with the pulleys and belt. Sometimes it doesn't do this when I fire it up. Mostly happens when the engine is rested and dead cold, although it's happened when @ operating temperature following a pit stop for fuel.

The frequency is unrealated to idle speed or RPM: increasing revs does not increase the squeak freq. It's not the sound I'm familiar with for the idler pulley failure, but it could be. The first failed at 45K and I'm shy of 2x that. Other possible scenarios could be slipping belt, out of line belt, retighten the reduction pulley, or less likely a SC bearing... oy vey.

Just wanted to put it out there for anyone willing to cogitate and have a dialogue. I'm scheduling a dealer appointment in advance of holiday travels. Please advise. Thank you.

Peace
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Re: Squeakage @ the pulley assembly

Post by Minidave »

I doubt it's a SC bearing, but given another member's troubles with his SC reduction pulley I'd definitely be checking that just for good measure.

Other than that, I'm not sure - especially about the doesn't change with RPM part. If it does it on every cold start up, I'd have someone start it for my while I poked my head under the bonnet and had a listen.

A long screwdriver is a good listening tool, just put the sharp end on something solid and bring your ear down to the handle, makes a great amplifier....
Hi! My name's Dave!

'09 LB/LB Clubman S - "Max"
89 Mini "Racing Green"
94 SPi Project (The Hot Rod)
SWT CHI

Post by SWT CHI »

Using a concrete parking garage for reflection, oscillation is related to revs. I'll take a listen w- a long metal tool. Thanks for physics demo, Dave!
SWT CHI

Post by SWT CHI »

Undiagnosed. Belt bumps pulley guide.
Tensioner and ATI idler pulley are on deck.