KCME Website Hosting

General discussions related to MINIs and Minis
KangaMINI
Website Admin
Website Admin

KCME Website Hosting

Post by KangaMINI »

G'day MINI Enthusiasts!

Your friendly forum host here. I am approaching the end of my current hosting contract and looking to downsize my hosting plan. Fear not! I plan on continuing to host this lovely community unless (or until) one of you all wants to take over hosting duties.

I'm currently soliciting feedback on web hosts - I do not plan on continuing to stay with hostmonster.com because they're right expensive. I was thinking about consolidating to namecheap.com since they already serve as my DNS registrar and they have much more affordable hosting plans. My current plan doesn't expire until late December, so there is time play with.

If any of those words made any sense to you, and you have a web hosting service you are happy with and willing to recommend, please let me know!

I will of course keep everyone up to date and post notices when any downtime/move is to take place.

Cheers,
Richard
KangaMINI
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Re: KCME Website Hosting

Post by Minidave »

Just please, no GoDaddy!
Hi! My name's Dave!

'09 LB/LB Clubman S - "Max"
89 Mini "Racing Green"
94 SPi Project (The Hot Rod)
ragtopday Johnna
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Post by ragtopday Johnna »

How much space does our site and forum consume, Rich?

I use Orange Geek for both of my business sites and have had an amazing experience with them, after having the most horrific experience with GoDaddy and another company before that who's name I still can't bring myself to type... Not the least expensive but outages have been incredibly minimal (one three minute outage in the last six months and they notified me, not the other way around) and the customer support is incredible. Fast at making security certificates happen, too, if that's something you ever need someone else to do on a site.
Johnna--BMPR CR '05 Chili Red JustaCVT, JCW Sound Kit #D344, JCW BBK, aFe cai, M7 Under Strut System, strut tower plates, Sparkly wheel arches, a little chrome. Garage-sharing w/ '12 Goodwood MCS #372, '06 MCS "Jack" and MiniX4's classic, Moxie.
KangaMINI
Website Admin
Website Admin

Post by KangaMINI »

Don't worry - I won't ever use GoDaddy. I will check out Orange Geek.

KangaMINI
KangaMINI
Website Admin
Website Admin

Post by KangaMINI »

UPDATE: I have a new hosting account with namecheap (who i register my domains with) and everything seems nice and speedy. This weekend I plan on doing a trial migraiton of the KCME website and forums. There should be no downtime for the forums and website since this will just be me tinkering on a different server.

I will post a sticky post prior to moving so that everyone will know when to expect a downtime for final migration. When I start moving things, there may be a brief period of time after I update DNS where you are still going to the old websites. Most DNS updates within 24 hours.

-Richard
KangaMINI
KangaMINI
Website Admin
Website Admin

Post by KangaMINI »

If you're reading this the website migration was successful and you're in the right database :-)

Please PM me if you notice anything hinkey or major slowness/performance issues.
KangaMINI
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

Works for me!

Yay!

Thanks Rich.
Hi! My name's Dave!

'09 LB/LB Clubman S - "Max"
89 Mini "Racing Green"
94 SPi Project (The Hot Rod)
Zack
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Zack »

Forum appears to be working on mobile web browsers but not on regular computer web browsers. At least not within the last few hours when I checked.
Bruno - 2022 JCW
Former MINI's
2006 R53 Mini Cooper S
2011 R55 Mini Cooper Clubman
2013 R56 Mini Cooper S JCW
2008 R56 MINI Cooper S JCW
2014 R55 MINI JCW Clubman
2017 F56 MINI Cooper S JCW