European plate solution

How-To and Pics of Mods to your MINI/Mini
anima

European plate solution

Post by anima »

Hi folks, I have two European plates that I had made, one is an Irish plate that says UILLEANN and the other is an EU - USA plate (I believe these may be used by NATO). I had the USA one made with my Kansas registration on it just for fun. The standard European front license plate base for this from MINI screws into the front bumper (that's what those two small dimples are for), once attached, you either drill holes in your plate or mount it with double sided tape.

I didn't like the idea of putting two holes into the front of my bumper (especially since I don't have to in Kansas), and since if I decided the plate looked stupid and wanted to remove it I would be stuck with two garish holes to fill somehow in the front of my bumper. Moreover, I have two plates and would like the ability to swap them out without damaging either, so the default option just didn't seem very good.

Reading around at the NAM site, I discovered that MINI makes another base for the Aero kit that mounts to the bottom of the bumper - thus holes that won't be seen if the base is removed. Also one of my plates came with a generic frame that flips up allowing you to swap plates in and out.

So after several weeks of searching I finally found the part number and ordered one from Pelican parts. Baron MINI couldn't find the part, but I did. :-) $27, but it needed to be ordered from Germany ($35 total with shipping). It is amazing how hard it was to find the part number, real detective work, and I really don't know why.

Here is the original MINI base that I decided not to use
BTW if anyone wants to buy this, I will sell it to you for what I paid for it, $27.25 (MINI part number 51132753979-BOE)

Here is the undermount Aero one, front view (with the license plate frame) MINI part number 51110141383-BOE

and from the back

Instead of attaching a plate to the base directly I decided to attach the generic flip up frame to the base so I can change plates if I wish.

The flip up license plate frame comes with a gajillion mounting holes, none of which matched up with any hole on the MINI mount, so I drilled four holes in the MINI base and and screwed them together, I then had to cut away part of the frame that was covering the MINI base's mounting holes:
here's what we have so far, frame screwed to the base and cut away for access to the mounting holes

and with a plate in it

I then attached it to my car, side view to show how it mounts under the bumper

And from the front (sorry for the quality, night shot in my garage)

I'll post a better daylight shot in the morning.

OK, recap:
Standard front mount MINI Eurpoean license plate base:
MINI part number 51132753979-BOE

Undermount MINI Aero European license plate base:
MINI part number 51110141383-BOE

Ordered the parts from:
http://www.pelicanparts.com/

Custom ordered the plates from:
http://www.europeanplates.com/europeanp ... ve2006.htm
look at page 5 for the USA EU plate

:D

Jeff
BLUGOOSE
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by BLUGOOSE »

The part #s you posted don't work! :?
2005 MCS Hyper Blue, auto, chrono, cold, H/K, roof, Milltek Sport, DDMWorks CAI, M7 Strut Plate,"Todd Graphics",R-90s
anima

Post by anima »

Try 'em without the -BOE

What site are you searching at?

Jeff
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

Thanks, Jeff!

Nothing like using the correct factory parts to do something, that looks very good..........
Hi! My name's Dave!

'09 LB/LB Clubman S - "Max"
89 Mini "Racing Green"
94 SPi Project (The Hot Rod)
Bernard Cline

Post by Bernard Cline »

How did you get the european plate itself?
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

Go here.......

Custom ordered the plates from:
http://www.europeanplates.com/europeanp ... ve2006.htm
look at page 5 for the USA EU plate
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
anima

Post by anima »

Ok, better pix

Here he is with the USA - EU plate with my Kansas registration

and with the Irish plate

I'm not sure which I like better, although the font on the Irish plate is cleaner.

BTW Uilleann (pronounced ill-un) on the Irish plate is a reference to the Uilleann Pipes, an obscure form of Irish bagpipes that I play. More info here,
www.kirklynch.com and at my website www.uilleannforum.com

Jeff
www.animavitae.com (one of my other websites - ain't the web great)
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

Wow!

Interesting imagery...........so you're a painter as well as a Dr. then?

A rennaisance man, artist, musician and physician!
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
Counterfit_Mini
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Counterfit_Mini »

The plates look really cool. I didn't know you could use european plates here.... (maybe that's why I haven't been bothered yet in BB)
Hi my name's Stephanie...
Max- 2024 Mini Cooper S All4 Clubman
Past Mini's:
2009 MCS
1977 Leyland Mini 1000
anima

Post by anima »

Minidave wrote:Wow!

Interesting imagery...........so you're a painter as well as a Dr. then?

A rennaisance man, artist, musician and physician!
No paint, all digital. :-) I do lots of things, you have to be more than the sum of your profession. :D

Jeff
anima

Post by anima »

Counterfit_Mini wrote:The plates look really cool. I didn't know you could use european plates here.... (maybe that's why I haven't been bothered yet in BB)
Ummm, technically you can't, but Kansas doesn't require a front license plate like Missouri does. Hence I had an "unpainted canvas" on my front bumper.

Jeff
hctiev

Post by hctiev »

Nicely done.
anima

Post by anima »

Thanks!

Jeff
aris_poerwanto

Post by aris_poerwanto »

thats is nice. much better looking than US plate. it fits with the car personality. But i hate having front lic plate. Anyway. Nice works
anima

Post by anima »

aris_poerwanto wrote: But i hate having front lic plate. Anyway. Nice works

Yeah, I went back and forth with this for a while and is why I used the aero plinth instead of the regular one, so that if I decide to remove it, I don't have two obvious holes in my front bumper.

Jeff
anima

Post by anima »

I swapped out the NATO plate for a European Style Kansas plate with my registration. I like the font better, and the little Kansas flag on it. It's not an official legal plate, but who cares we don't need front plates here in Kansas anyway. :-) I got it here http://www.licenseplates.tv/cat/united_states_725.html

Jeff