Air Bag light

How-To and Pics of Mods to your MINI/Mini
sweetlou
MINIAC
MINIAC

Air Bag light

Post by sweetlou »

Can someone chime in and set me straight please. On the passenger air bag light up by the rear view mirror (05 mini) is it suppose to be luminated to indicate the air bag is off until it registers more than seventy pounds in the passaenger seat. Ours is off all the time and never lights up even at start up or an empty seat. I don't drive it everyday but I thought it used to be lit up until someone sat in the seat. My son used to make it go on and off when he was around the seventy pounds. But I could be wrong.

Thanks
Mark
Laurie
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Laurie »

I also have an 05 and the light is always off unless you have a load in the seat that is under the limit. Then the light will come on to tell you the passenger airbag if now off.
~Laurie~

2022 Midnight Black Metalic MINI Cooper SE “Electric Boogie”
2005 Chili Red MCS "Kevin"

2016 Blazing Red Metallic 4 door MCS
RIP 2013 Blazing Red Metallic Justa Countryman

First MINI 2005 Black Eye Purple MCS
Big Papi

Post by Big Papi »

My R56 is the same way. If my son who is 62 lbs is in the front and the seat is lowered all the way to the floor then the light is on, but if he raises it up pretty high so he can see then the light goes off.

I believe that it has to do with the weight and the posiiton of the passenger to determine if the airbag will deploy or not.

Also, I think my MA told me during orientation that on my R56 the airbag is set for two speeds on deployment. A slower speed if you are smaller or lighter to reduce injury and full power if you meet the standard crieteria (but that is only from memory, NOT FACT).