Cabin filter

How-To and Pics of Mods to your MINI/Mini
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Cabin filter

Post by Minidave »

I had never done mine so I thought I'd give it a try. MINI wants about $60 for theirs, but a guy on NAM posted a link to a place that sells the exact same thing direct from the MFR for $20, including shipping, so I bought one of theirs. Here's a link to the thread on NAM with the details...
Cabin Filter

I wondered if maybe my barely adequate A/C performance might be down to a clogged filter, but when I took mine out it was pretty black, but not clogged up like I thought it might be.

It's in a really awkward place for an old fat guy like me to reach, but once you locate it, it's no more than a 10 min job to change it. Just look up from the passenger floor and you'll see a rectangular cover, mine had 3 screws in the corners, remove those and then unsnap it from the tabs on the side and the lid comes right off. Pull down on the filter and it slides out, push the new one back into it's place, install the cover and Bob's yer uncle!

The weather's been too cool the last couple of days to see whether it's going to help, but hey, what can it hurt? :lol:

While I was "in there", I also tidied up a few things leftover from the HPT season; reset my rear swaybar to its softest setting, took out my Schroth racebelts harness, put my regular tires back on, and the best thing - I took out the motor mount "stiffener" I put in there at the beginning of the season and MAN, what a difference! All that nasty vibration at idle, all that coarse sound, all that harshness is gone again replaced by a smooth sweet sounding engine noise. On top of that, I can't say as I noticed anything positive about the improvements in shifting or engine movement on accell/decell that it's supposed to cure. I cannot recommend one of these to anyone!

I also took out the camera mount I use at the track, it's just held on with a couple of U-bolts around the headrest supports.

All in all, a good day with the MINI in the garage yesterday! :thumbsup2:
Hi! My name's Dave!

'09 LB/LB Clubman S - "Max"
89 Mini "Racing Green"
94 SPi Project (The Hot Rod)
davester
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by davester »

I bought one of those cabin filters from these people and it worked just fine. While installing, there were no screws holding the cover on. Baron replaced the filter the last time several years ago. Guess you don't need them. A very good buy at less than $20 shipped---
2015 F56 S hatchback-Electric Blue/Black, Cold Weather Package,Premium Package, Sport Package and a lot of other crap. "BRUISER"

They call me David
Former MINI's
2004 R53 "Stubby"
2012 R58 Coupe "Deuce"
Soopercooperinfo

Post by Soopercooperinfo »

There are several sources for discount cabin air filters in our consumer info section under cabin filters on our site. Hope this might help.
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

Great resource, thanks for posting the link!
Hi! My name's Dave!

'09 LB/LB Clubman S - "Max"
89 Mini "Racing Green"
94 SPi Project (The Hot Rod)
davester
MINIAC
MINIAC

Re: Cabin filter

Post by davester »

Its time to replace the cabin filter again. I found a new source for the filter @ $16.26 shipped. They also have a deal on the radiator cooling fans. Take a look --- http://www.logical-source.com
2015 F56 S hatchback-Electric Blue/Black, Cold Weather Package,Premium Package, Sport Package and a lot of other crap. "BRUISER"

They call me David
Former MINI's
2004 R53 "Stubby"
2012 R58 Coupe "Deuce"
dsopoci
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by dsopoci »

I bought a standard, non charcoal cabin filter from car quest for about $20. The only drawback was that the new one was not as flexible as the oem one and it takes a little bit to get it to fit nicely.
2009 Cooper S, AEM intake,six spd, chili red with mini challenge stripes
nine5raptor
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by nine5raptor »

I bought Akebono brake pads, sensors, new accessory belt, and a carbon filter off Rock Auto since I am due for Inspection II and I already did the other items. Bought the TYC Activated Charcoal filter for $10.35. Was $9 shipping or something like that for the whole order. Will see if it fits when I try to put it in. :lol:
2010 MCS CR/W with some custom vinyl, JCW sport suspension (minus FSB), CNT cat back, Add a brake, Alta AP, Devil's Own H2O/Meth Injection, random other little stuff, and some good ol' mud flaps