Replacement battery for R53 (04 MCS)

How-To and Pics of Mods to your MINI/Mini
IowaM1N1
MINIAC
MINIAC

Replacement battery for R53 (04 MCS)

Post by IowaM1N1 »

Any suggestions for a replacement battery for my '04 MCS (R53)?

I'm on the original battery (I think) and I'm getting signs that the battery is about to crap out.

Thanks-
Greg
'19 Emerald Grey/Chili Red JCW (F56) <---- Greg's car
'08 Dark Silver/Black Cooper S convertible JCW (R52) <---- Greg's other car
'02 BRG/White Cooper (R50) Iowa plate: M1N1 <-----Judy's car
Des Moines/KC/whatever
ksminiman
MINIAC
MINIAC

Re: Replacement battery for R53 (04 MCS)

Post by ksminiman »

Advance Auto Parts carries batteries for MINIs. Just call a store near you to get one ordered in same day order during the week or next day order on the weekend.
Hi. My name is Tommy.
06 MCS named Yoshi, BRG/BRG, Panther black leather, LSD, Navigation, Cold Weather, Premium, Sport, and Convenience Packages. ALTA 15% V2, M7 STDs, 16" Rota RBs.
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

Davester wrote

"I ended up at Standard Battery, a KC company with a location in Omaha, which advertised carrying Optimas. They, too, had no 34Rs, but when I mentioned that I was replacing a 47 in a MINI the guy said he had those by the dozen. I ended up spending 65 bux on an exact replacement for the stock battery, except with 750 CCR instead of 550. It had the vent hole in the proper place and dropped into the battery compartment with no retrofitting necessary. Oh... it also had the holes properly spaced for the old battery's positive terminal protector to fit, and it featured a handy-dandy retractable handle which the old battery didn't have."

Both Frank (Blugoose) and I purchased batteries at Standard Battery at 1616 Wyoming KC,MO 816-421-8118. My car is five years(84500 miles) old and Frank's is four. I wanted to replace the battery before winter set in so I wouldn't be stranded somewhere. The group 47 is a direct replacement for the OE battery in our R53. Same dimensions with the vent hole in the proper place. Be sure to remove the red positive post protector and install on new battery. Everything fits perfectly and the price installed with tax was $68. They did a very good job of installation--- Just make sure they have it in stock before you go.
By the way, the battery has 750 CA with 600 Cold Cranking Amps. This surpasses all OE specs."

I bought one there for my '03 also, based on this recommendation - it worked perfectly!
Hi! My name's Dave!

'09 LB/LB Clubman S - "Max"
89 Mini "Racing Green"
94 SPi Project (The Hot Rod)
IowaM1N1
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by IowaM1N1 »

Thanks, Dave!

What brand of battery are we talking about?
Greg
Des Moines/KC/whatever
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

Standard?

To me, unless you get a gel cell like an Optima, a batery's a battery. They're all pretty much made the same way and use the same stuff.
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
ragtopday Johnna
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Post by ragtopday Johnna »

I had a bad customer service experience with Standard (battery completely dead, wouldn't charge, called to make sure they had the battery, got a lift across town to pick up the battery only to get the run-around and find out they did not have a battery) so ended up at my local parts store. Surprise! They had a battery that has worked just fine for the past year. Standard gets a thumbs-down from me.
Johnna--BMPR CR '05 Chili Red JustaCVT, JCW Sound Kit #D344, JCW BBK, aFe cai, M7 Under Strut System, strut tower plates, Sparkly wheel arches, a little chrome. Garage-sharing w/ '12 Goodwood MCS #372, '06 MCS "Jack" and MiniX4's classic, Moxie.
IowaM1N1
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by IowaM1N1 »

I stopped by Standard this afternoon on my way out of town to Iowa to see what they had.

10 minutes later I had a new Deka battery installed by them for $70. Wow!

Thanks for the recommendation, gang.

Johnna, sorry to hear about your bad experience. I was blown away today by their speed, friendliness, helpfulness, and service. And prices. Hopefully the battery I purchased is not problematic like your experience.

Original battery was date coded 11th week of 2004. I figure it has exceeded its service life!
Greg
Des Moines/KC/whatever
Marlow Main
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Marlow Main »

Thanks Davester for the heads up about Standard Battery! I called this morning and they said they had the group 47 battery I needed. We charged up my battery this afternoon, so I could drive my MINI down to the shop/warehouse. I walked in, and they said, "Hi, your here for the MINI battery, right?' They got me right in and within 15 minutes, I was back on the road with the a new battery that fits perfectly. They even plugged a small charger/aux power source to my lighter port before they disconnected my old battery, so that I did not lose any of my computer and radio settings. They were really nice and helpful.
davester
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by davester »

So glad they took care of you with their good service. A nice touch with the plug-in to keep everything set. :D
2015 F56 S hatchback-Electric Blue/Black, Cold Weather Package,Premium Package, Sport Package and a lot of other crap. "BRUISER"

They call me David
Former MINI's
2004 R53 "Stubby"
2012 R58 Coupe "Deuce"
minicoopers43
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by minicoopers43 »

After pricing Batteries around town at auto parts stores I went to Standard Battery today. I was in and out in about 20 min. I will install it myself next time but overall I am happy w/ the service.
LaDonna was a 2003 MCS EB. Sold with over 223k miles!!! Best car I ever had!!!
KC MCS
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by KC MCS »

My '05 R53 had it's battery die last night...almost 7 1/2 years old, not too shabby!

Anyway, calling all around this morning and pretty much everyone is at the $150 mark. Called Standard and they're $70. They said the battery is a house brand, but made by Johnson Controls who makes Interstate batteries.

Can any of you who have had a replacement put in by Standard comment on how the battery has performed? Any of them die prematurely?

The warranty is only 1 yr replacement and 40 months prorated versus a 3 yr replacement and like 80 some months prorated on the others, but again, this one is half the price.

Thanks!
'05 MCS CR/B, Bonnet/Boot Stripes, Prem/Sport/Cold, Panther Leather, CR Dash/Doors, 17" Web Spokes, Alta CAI, Ultrik 15% Pulley, NGK Iridium Plugs
IowaM1N1
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by IowaM1N1 »

Sorry. traded mine in 15 months later. Battery was flawless during that time.
Greg
Des Moines/KC/whatever
minicoopers43
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by minicoopers43 »

minicoopers43 wrote:After pricing Batteries around town at auto parts stores I went to Standard Battery today. I was in and out in about 20 min. I will install it myself next time but overall I am happy w/ the service.
Mine is still going strong, I have also had an aftermarket stereo hooked up to it so it sees more stress than you might put through it. I also do a lot of recycling with them through my work, they are really nice people.
LaDonna was a 2003 MCS EB. Sold with over 223k miles!!! Best car I ever had!!!
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

Mine's going on three years now with no issues.....
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
KC MCS
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by KC MCS »

Thanks everyone! I just got back from Standard. They installed the new battery for me and the total with tax was just over $76. They are nice people.

I expected that the engine would turn over very quickly with the new battery, but it actually seems to take longer for it to start. I'm not sure at this point if that is due to the new battery maybe not being at 100% charge, or if it's indicative of a potential issue with the starter, or something else. Any of you who've changed batteries experience anything like this?
'05 MCS CR/B, Bonnet/Boot Stripes, Prem/Sport/Cold, Panther Leather, CR Dash/Doors, 17" Web Spokes, Alta CAI, Ultrik 15% Pulley, NGK Iridium Plugs
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

Mine sounded "normal", whatever that is.....do you have a battery charger that you can top it off?
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
KC MCS
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by KC MCS »

Yeah, I have a charger. That's a good idea, I'll go put it on there, let it go for a bit and see what I get.
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

If it's a low output charger (3-5 amp) I'd leave it on overnight......get it fully topped off.
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
IowaM1N1
MINIAC
MINIAC

Re: Replacement battery

Post by IowaM1N1 »

Went to Standard this morning to get a new battery installed in Judy's '02 R50. It was on its second battery (from 2008 I think), which wasn't doing well this winter. Just now installing its 3rd battery just 10 days shy of the car's 12th birthday. Sounds reasonable to me - averaging 6 years per battery.

Standard is still charging $69 for a new 47 (little over $76 with tax). They actually offered a 'blem' -- a battery with cosmetic flaws that is stamped '2ND', but otherwise fine -- for $45. I opted for new. For some of you more cost-conscious Motorers, this sounds like a great option to save a few bucks! Installation was free.

I noticed on the receipt that it says the battery is a '40 month' battery. Like one of the earlier posters, I am curious to know what kind of life we are getting from these 40 month batteries. Curious to know if we will get 6 years out of this one.

Of course, that requires owning the car six years...which would make it 18 years old. We hold our cars for a while, but that's a really long time. Not sure if we'll make it that long.
Greg
Des Moines/KC/whatever
BLUGOOSE
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by BLUGOOSE »

Davester and I went to Standard Battery in Oct of 09 and both got 47-40s for $68.31 inc. tax each..Knock on wood ,have had no problem with it since. We drove out :25 min after arrival after getting great service.
2005 MCS Hyper Blue, auto, chrono, cold, H/K, roof, Milltek Sport, DDMWorks CAI, M7 Strut Plate,"Todd Graphics",R-90s
SWT CHI

Post by SWT CHI »

+1 on the Optima
kgreen66
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by kgreen66 »

Went for a battery yesterday at Standard Battery. Mine's been slow to turn over in the cold and the dealer said it was bad and throwing low voltage faults. Thanks for the tip, guys! :)
Hi! I'm Keith!
R53 2006 Chili Red MCS
16% Pulley / DDM CAI
Milltek Cat Back Exhaust
davester
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by davester »

Standard Battery is still in the same location on Wyoming. There phone # is now 888-405-4388. I priced a 750 Cold Cranking Amp battery for Charlottes Lexus at $76.00. What a deal. I have bought a battery for my old R53 as have MiniDave, Frank, Dori and Greg for there MINI's. They also install at no charge. :D Winter is coming so get prepared and don't be stranded.
Last edited by davester on Mon Nov 16, 2015 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2015 F56 S hatchback-Electric Blue/Black, Cold Weather Package,Premium Package, Sport Package and a lot of other crap. "BRUISER"

They call me David
Former MINI's
2004 R53 "Stubby"
2012 R58 Coupe "Deuce"
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

This year alone I bought one for Rose's Audi, one for my Yanmar tractor and one for my old Jag, and I'll probably be getting one for my MINI as well, since it's going to be 7 years old in Jan.....the one for Rose's car was over $250 online - I paid $50 for a "blem" that was rated as high or higher than what I took out of her car.

Standard battery is a great resource!
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
BlueBerry03MC
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by BlueBerry03MC »

Well it's that time again for a new battery. About 5 years ago I did some research and found out that AutoZone has a car battery that fit the R50/R53 MINI's really well actually. The battery is called: Duralast Gold Battery H5-DLG. It lasted 5 years for my 03 MINI Cooper Base and about 4.5 years for my sister's 2005 R53. They cost about 174.99 with the core. Just an FYI for 1st gen owners :D
My name is Hilary
MINI Coopers in the family
BlueBerry 2003 Indi Blue MC, Black mirror caps & stripes, CVT.
Aussie 2013 Pepper White MCS, black top/mirror caps, chrome hood scoop & interior trim, leather seats, Automatic.