Powder Coating

How-To and Pics of Mods to your MINI/Mini
MiniManiac
MINIAC
MINIAC

Powder Coating

Post by MiniManiac »

Where is a good place to get some wheels coated?
Seth
08 MCS - JCW
1974/1993 Classic Mini - 70 WHP!
MiniManiac
MINIAC
MINIAC

Re: Powder Coating

Post by MiniManiac »

I was hoping someone would have powder coated their wheels. Hmmm.....I guess I will have to do this the old fashioned way - LOL
Seth
08 MCS - JCW
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

There's a place in Grandview I used to use to have industrial parts coated, they quoted me $75 a wheel, I don't remember if that included sandblasting first or not, and of course the tires need to be off to have this done. Company's name was RMF, I did quite a bit of other business with them too, ask for Jim in Powdercoating, it's been a couple of years now so he might not remember me but you can try giving him my name as a reference.

Another place I used for industrial coatings is called LPF coatings, they said about the same price, so I think that's fairly industry wide but again, it's been several years ago that I enquired. They're located on the east side of KC, off Manchester trafficway. Either one of these places will do first class work.

There are a lot of places listed online that offer powdercoating, but these two I know from using them for years.

It's supposed to be more durable, but frankly I'm not sure it's a better way to go than simply painting them, clear coating them and curing them well.
Hi! My name's Dave!

'09 LB/LB Clubman S - "Max"
89 Mini "Racing Green"
94 SPi Project (The Hot Rod)
Zack
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Zack »

I'm thinking of Plasti-dipping mine. The spray cans aren't that expensive and the gloss an flat black colors looked nice on some sample wheels I saw.
Bruno - 2022 JCW
Former MINI's
2006 R53 Mini Cooper S
2011 R55 Mini Cooper Clubman
2013 R56 Mini Cooper S JCW
2008 R56 MINI Cooper S JCW
2014 R55 MINI JCW Clubman
2017 F56 MINI Cooper S JCW
Clubby Clutch

Post by Clubby Clutch »

Correct me if I am wrong; isn't powder coating frowned upon for wheels as it compromises the integrity of the wheel? Heating the wheel up messes with the alignment of the molecules to create a pattern that is weaker than that of the original wheel.

This is all from what I read when I painted my spare set of wheels (S-Lites). Every thread said not to powder coat but just paint them. A few hours of wet sanding, then cleaning, a self etching primer followed by a filler primer and then base cost clear coat. All from Duplicolor and Rustoleum. Didn't really take that long either.

I'm sure it wouldn't matter though if you weren't racing the car, though.
boxer
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by boxer »

Another thing to think about might be the lip that the tire touches should be smooth. Powdercoating tends to have a rough surface. You won't want your tires to leak air. Just a thought.
2003 Dark Silver Metallic MINI Cooper S.
MiniManiac
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by MiniManiac »

I really don't think there is an issue with powder coated wheels. Mine have already been powder coated white with no issues. They are chipped and worn out so now I am going to change them to black.

I will, however, try to paint method on my winter wheels. I have access to a sandblaster so I think that will work.

Dave, thanks for the links, I will hit them up. :D
Seth
08 MCS - JCW
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

I also have never heard of anyone having issues with tire sealing or anything with powdercoating on wheels....I'm sure there are plenty of places that can powdercoat wheels, and there's probably someone closer than the two I posted, those are just a couple of companys that I've used in the past with really good results. I'd use RMF in Grandview, myself.....but that's a real hike from Leavenworth.

Sandblasting with fine grit will give a perfect surface to paint or powdercoat, it will stick really well. The only thing better in my experience is glass beading, but fine grit sand works great too. If you're actually using sand, be sure to wear a respirator, silicosis is nasty stuff, and as incurable as asbestos once it's in your lungs. Work outside in a well ventilated area, or use a blast cabinet with a good vent setup.

And don't forget the before/after pics! :mrgreen:
Hi! My name's Dave!

'09 LB/LB Clubman S - "Max"
89 Mini "Racing Green"
94 SPi Project (The Hot Rod)
MiniManiac
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by MiniManiac »

Roger that!
Seth
08 MCS - JCW
Zack
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Zack »

I already have my Rota's on the car but since the ASA's are off the car and sanding the polished lips are becoming a royal pain, I'm going to clean the heck out of them, get the brake dust and dirt off the wheels as much as possible and will probably plasti-dip them. The kit is under $50 bucks. Gonna plasti dip them matte-black like my Rota's probably.
Bruno - 2022 JCW
Former MINI's
2006 R53 Mini Cooper S
MiniManiac
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by MiniManiac »

Zackattack28 wrote:I already have my Rota's on the car but since the ASA's are off the car and sanding the polished lips are becoming a royal pain, I'm going to clean the heck out of them, get the brake dust and dirt off the wheels as much as possible and will probably plasti-dip them. The kit is under $50 bucks. Gonna plasti dip them matte-black like my Rota's probably.
I am interested to see how well they will hold up. My painted (not powder coated) wheels held up to the winter very well so I guess there is a good chance that plasti dip will as well.
Seth
08 MCS - JCW
BLUGOOSE
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by BLUGOOSE »

Hub Caps and Wheels, just off of 635,just North of I-35. Check them out.
Last edited by BLUGOOSE on Fri Apr 25, 2014 11:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2005 MCS Hyper Blue, auto, chrono, cold, H/K, roof, Milltek Sport, DDMWorks CAI, M7 Strut Plate,"Todd Graphics",R-90s
Zack
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Zack »

BLUGOOSE wrote:Hub Caps and Wheels, just off of 635,just south of I-35. Check them out.
They aren't mine lol
Bruno - 2022 JCW
Former MINI's
2006 R53 Mini Cooper S
Zack
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Zack »

I like the flat black look on the ASA's so where can I go to get these wheels professionally painted. Sanded and painted or even stripped and then painted or powder coated. Open to suggestions and options.
Bruno - 2022 JCW
Former MINI's
2006 R53 Mini Cooper S
MiniManiac
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by MiniManiac »

Zackattack28 wrote:I like the flat black look on the ASA's so where can I go to get these wheels professionally painted. Sanded and painted or even stripped and then painted or powder coated. Open to suggestions and options.
I highly recommend these guys:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Hobby-Mo ... 8746380373
Seth
08 MCS - JCW
MiniManiac
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by MiniManiac »

Seth
08 MCS - JCW