transmission oil leak

How-To and Pics of Mods to your MINI/Mini
imabyter
MINIAC
MINIAC

transmission oil leak

Post by imabyter »

City market must have been too much for Luna, looks like she lost a seal, or some thing. Pulled out Tuesday morning and there were large blobs of tranny (6 speed manual) oil on the floor. Put her up on stands last night and the oil is everywhere on the bottom end. Wiped it all down and let sit overnight, one small drip about dead center. Poked around some more I see no obvious exit point. The seal on the passenger side driveshaft looks suspicious. Picture included. Should that plate be so far from the seal? Or do these seals leak much? Searched NA Motoring with no luck. Any ideas?
IMG_20131023_182339-1-1.jpg
IMG_20131023_182339-1-1.jpg (168.47 KiB) Viewed 3627 times
Michael B (although the MINI is Carole's toy I still get to fix and maintain it)
Luna is an '06 Cooper S Space Blue with Silver top. Sport Package, Premium Package, Euro Leather Package. Now with Way Motors 15% pulley kit!
imabyter
MINIAC
MINIAC

Re: transmission oil leak

Post by imabyter »

Dropped this off at George's Import Service on Saturday. They confirmed that the axle seal is the culprit, but also looks like the rear main is leaking as well (Can't say as I have notices any oil leakage, but consumption seems higher than I would expect). So they are pulling the tranny, fixing both seals and doing a clutch job while they are in there.

$$ but glad I am not doing this job.
Michael B (although the MINI is Carole's toy I still get to fix and maintain it)
Luna is an '06 Cooper S Space Blue with Silver top. Sport Package, Premium Package, Euro Leather Package. Now with Way Motors 15% pulley kit!
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

It's a lot of work to pull the trans on these cars, not hard, just lots of stuff to remove so it will come out. If you're going to put a clutch in it while the trans is out ( a good idea) I recommend the Valeo kit (Way Motor works has them), it replaces the noisy dual mass flywheel with a solid one, and the clutch is light and easier to modulate. I've done a couple now and both owners love them.
Hi! My name's Dave!

'09 LB/LB Clubman S - "Max"
89 Mini "Racing Green"
94 SPi Project (The Hot Rod)
imabyter
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by imabyter »

And the Saga continues...

Apparently Luna attempted suicide by Release Bearing. The bearing self destructed, destroying the seals, and poking a small, but significant hole in the transmission housing. Inside the bell housing is littered with metal debris. Hopefully the local welding shop can TIG this hole over without having to dismantle the transmission. Hole is only the size of a pen tip, but enough to leak oil everywhere.

I would have liked to do the Valeo kit, but not enough time to get one shipped in as the car is already dismantled, and their price on a similar kit is in the $900 range. This job is already very pricey, so I won't be throwing more money at it and will be installing stock parks.

I'm very glad I decided not to replace the Axle seal myself. I just had a feeling that there was more wrong than met the eye.
davester
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by davester »

Aww MINI's, you gotta love em :D
2015 F56 S hatchback-Electric Blue/Black, Cold Weather Package,Premium Package, Sport Package and a lot of other crap. "BRUISER"

They call me David
Former MINI's
2004 R53 "Stubby"
2012 R58 Coupe "Deuce"
imabyter
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by imabyter »

Well Luna is back together and driving great! :D

Kudos to Brad and the guys at George's Import Service. I would not hesitate to recommend them for any kind of import repair service. Really seem to know their stuff and very professional and courteous. Great communication as well.