Winter is coming - Window question

How-To and Pics of Mods to your MINI/Mini
nine5raptor
MINIAC
MINIAC

Winter is coming - Window question

Post by nine5raptor »

Ok, winter is pretty much here.

So, I drove home in the rain last night and parked the MINI outside. This morning the rain was all ice on the car. I hit the unlock button and hopped in and closed the door...sort of. The window didn't retract and so it hit up top when I closed the door. I kept the door mostly closed and ran the defrost to clear all the windows. Problem was still there as the ice along the rubber trim did not melt. So, I got out and used a thin card to break the rubber away from the window so that I could roll it down/up. Now the window properly lowered and raised when getting in/out. This seems to be a major fail on MINIs part.

What do other folks do?
2010 MCS CR/W with some custom vinyl, JCW sport suspension (minus FSB), CNT cat back, Add a brake, Alta AP, Devil's Own H2O/Meth Injection, random other little stuff, and some good ol' mud flaps
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Re: Winter is coming - Window question

Post by Minidave »

A major fault?

What are they supposed to do to prevent it from raining ice overnight? :roll: :lol:

I do break the ice on the window before opening the door for this reason, sometimes the window can be iced onto the seal at the top too, some silicone spray on the window seals will help with this, but enough ice will cause problems.

I also see ice buildup in the door handles such that you can't even pull the handle to open it......sometimes the only fix is a jug of hot water poured over it to unfreeze it.....same with the windows, sometimes if the ice is thick enough you just have to defrost it first (with hot water) or chip it off.

BTW, in all the years I've defrosted a windshield or side window or handle I have never had a window glass crack from the difference in temps - but I'm only using tap temp water, I don't put it on the stove to heat it!
Hi! My name's Dave!

'09 LB/LB Clubman S - "Max"
89 Mini "Racing Green"
94 SPi Project (The Hot Rod)
davester
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by davester »

I take the wife's car--- :D
2015 F56 S hatchback-Electric Blue/Black, Cold Weather Package,Premium Package, Sport Package and a lot of other crap. "BRUISER"

They call me David
Former MINI's
2004 R53 "Stubby"
2012 R58 Coupe "Deuce"
nine5raptor
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by nine5raptor »

its less the ice along the seam that is the issue but rather the fact that the window MUST roll down to close the door. At least on mine, it hit the surround trying to close the door and would not close all the way to heat it up fully with the defrost.

As far as other cars, yeah, I've had all sorts of troubles from pulling handles off to leaking and icing inside the window. I get having to get creative to get in the car and fire it up to defrost it (yes, I've gone through the trunks of other cars plenty of times) but I haven't had a car that prevents me from closing the door after I get in!

So, if you could find a way to warm the planet up for me so that I don't have to deal with this, that would be appreciated! :D We could call it Global Warm...no, how about Global Uncooling!

:chili:
2010 MCS CR/W with some custom vinyl, JCW sport suspension (minus FSB), CNT cat back, Add a brake, Alta AP, Devil's Own H2O/Meth Injection, random other little stuff, and some good ol' mud flaps
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

The windows roll up like that to make a positive seal, the only way to avoid that would be to have a frame around the window, but even then I've had car doors that wouldn't close due to ice or even water that refroze after I thawed them out to get into the car.

The real answer is to make sure the window's not frozen to the seal, by using some silicone spray, or by breaking it loose before you open the door.

or......

Park in a garage like my wife does..... :lol:

or.....

Cover the car with something when we're going to get freezing rain so the windows can't freeze down to the seals.

But try the silicone spray first, just to see if it will help.
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
mcconned
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by mcconned »

+1 on the silicone spray.
Dan McConnell
SCCA-Sports Car Club of America.
nine5raptor
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by nine5raptor »

I'll check it out. Does it make a mess all over the window though?
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

I use a rag to contain the spray, and just move it along the window as I spray.
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
nine5raptor
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by nine5raptor »

So, if I spray this on my sled can I do 100mph down hill? "'cause if I dent this, my hair just ain't gonna part right" :D
Attachments
IMG_20131122_180425.JPG
IMG_20131122_180425.JPG (33.68 KiB) Viewed 5917 times
mcconned
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by mcconned »

Minidave wrote:I use a rag to contain the spray, and just move it along the window as I spray.
Dave, don't you mean the window track? Where the rubber is?
Dan McConnell
SCCA-Sports Car Club of America.
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

No, these cars have frameless windows, the OP had ice buildup at the seal at the bottom that wouldn't let the window drop - on our cars when you pull the door handle the window drops about 1/2 inch to break the vacuum seal and allow the door to open more easily, if the window doesn't drop, it doesn't want to close properly, although if you shut it hard it will. It's supposed to roll back up that last 1/2 inch once the door is closed, to seal the window tightly against the upper seal, but with the window up all the way it's an "interference fit".

Putting some silicone on the seals might keep the ice from bonding, unless it's really heavily clad, in which case you either have to chip it off or melt it before you try to open the door.
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
IowaM1N1
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by IowaM1N1 »

nine5raptor wrote:What do other folks do?
Been driving MINIs for almost 12 years now. Only had this happen a handful of times over the years.

We've just dealt with it at the time it happens. Scrape the ice off from the bottom seal as best as we can, and the window motor generally is able to overcome the ice and function properly. It hasn't been that much of a hassle.
Greg
'19 Emerald Grey/Chili Red JCW (F56) <---- Greg's car
'08 Dark Silver/Black Cooper S convertible JCW (R52) <---- Greg's other car
'02 BRG/White Cooper (R50) Iowa plate: M1N1 <-----Judy's car
Des Moines/KC/whatever
nine5raptor
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by nine5raptor »

Thats good to hear. I've only had mine for 4 months and the first inclement weather day it gave me issues so I was wondering what i got myself into. :?