Coolant leak / water pump?

How-To and Pics of Mods to your MINI/Mini
SilverStreak

Coolant leak / water pump?

Post by SilverStreak »

I've recently noticed a damp spot on the garage floor under where the MINI is parked. :( Upon inspection, I found that it is coming from the right side of the engine (can't see the exact source). Anyway, my assumption is the water pump. Is that a fair assumption?

If that is a fair assumption, my limited research has implied that is a fairly mild repair. Is that, too, a fair assumption. Also, are there any special tools needed for the job?

I'm hoping to have it going before Toys for Tots next Saturday. Otherwise, we will be attending in the Suzuki.

Thanks in advance,
Chris
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Re: Coolant leak / water pump?

Post by Minidave »

I haven't investigated what you need on the newer cars to remove the serpentine belt, but that looks like the only special tool you might need. Other than that it looks pretty straightforward, and a whole lot easier than on a supercharged car!

Good luck!
Hi! My name's Dave!

'09 LB/LB Clubman S - "Max"
89 Mini "Racing Green"
94 SPi Project (The Hot Rod)
MiniManiac
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by MiniManiac »

If I remember correctly, you have to replace the entire assembly (whatever that includes). One of my buds replaced one their R57 and remember it not being too bad but a very expensive part.
Seth
08 MCS - JCW
1974/1993 Classic Mini - 70 WHP!
SWT CHI

Post by SWT CHI »

Ditto on the symptoms: ~3-4 T of water on the garage floor. Occassionally, like 1:6.

Water pump replaced 6K miles ago. Radiator and expansion tank both holding pressure. Unable to see pump or t-stat under sc/fuel rail. No milky foam apparant on d-stick or in oil fill bunghole.

Possible small leak(s) from water jacket to combustion cylinder?
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

An internal leak into the combustion chambers won't leave water on the floor....most common place for an R-53 is the thermostat gasket or the coolant reservoir.....however both of those would be on the left and center parts of the car respectively. If you're getting coolant on the right on an R-53 it could be the oil cooler or a hose.

Most common places to leak on the turbo motor cars is the temp sensor in the t-stat housing (o-ring fails), the t-stat housing itself or the water pump.....but those are on opposite ends of the engine, so location of the drips will help diagnose the issue.
Hi! My name's Dave!

'09 LB/LB Clubman S - "Max"
89 Mini "Racing Green"
94 SPi Project (The Hot Rod)
SilverStreak

Post by SilverStreak »

Well, I gave up on trying to diagnose / repair mine myself. I've wrenched on cars since before I was old enough to drive, but this one intimidates the crap out of me. :?

Anyway, it was supposed to go to Baron tomorrow, but due to the weather, I've moved the appt. to the 26th.
MiniMax
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by MiniMax »

I just had a very similar situation and Baron found a crack in my thermostat housing. $460 later, its all fixed. Good thing I have the extended warranty.

Minimax
SWT CHI

Post by SWT CHI »

I can always count on the Professor for an apposite comment apropos to strengthening that corpus collosum of mine. And, it would be boring here in the forum without the critcal thinking of others. Thank you.

With respect to my personal situation, it could be a hose, but there's no freaking way I'm going in to find out which one at this time. I am putting my $1 on the t-stat/housing and entering Baron for a $460 three-series x-drive loaner to use on Tuesday. Afterwards, I'll be doing a lot of :chugchug: