Clutch and LSD install

How-To and Pics of Mods to your MINI/Mini
Sspreso
MINIAC
MINIAC

Clutch and LSD install

Post by Sspreso »

Once skin doesn't freeze on contact with my garage floor I'll be doing a clutch and LSD install to Taz. Questions are:
1) Any crazy Mini/BMW tool requirements?
2) Any gotchas, things to watch out for?
3) Anything else I should be doing while I'm in there?

Taz only has 24k miles, but upgrading to OS Giken STR clutch and their LSD. Big power plans in progress too! The plan is to just pull the entire front of the car off...radiator and all. Subframe needs to come off to do the Alta PSRS inserts anyways.
Figure might as will upgrade front bar bushings and teflon wrap them.
-John Herrman
2012 JCW Coupe aka 'Taz'
-If you car doesn't try to kill you, it's under modded.
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Re: Clutch and LSD install

Post by Minidave »

Nope, you pretty much have it ..... once the front end is out of the way I leave the A/C condenser attached and just swing it out of the way so I can get to the other stuff. In the pics below you can see I just stuck a piece of EMT in a convenient hole and used a bungee cord to hold the condenser - it worked well and kept it out of the way

You will need a way to support the engine while the trans is out since you'll have the left side motor mount disconnected too. If you're doing it on the garage floor you can use an extra floor jack to hold it up, if you have it on a lift you'll need one of those engine support bars that go across the front inner fenders and you'll need a transmission jack.

Are you doing it at home or at DIY? It's much easier on a lift...ask me how I know!

I know they've improved those ALTA lower control arm inserts, but everyone I've ever heard of that installed them hates them a few thousand miles later cause they rattle. I like the Powerflex bushings better.

I've not heard of using Teflon tape on the sway bar inside the bushings, I just use grease. Might give that a try on my rear bar, it's gets grumpy after 6 months or so.

One other suggestion, take lots of pics, before you take it apart and as you remove stuff so you'll have them to refer to....bits and bytes are free!
Attachments
IMG_1895R.jpg
IMG_1895R.jpg (140.31 KiB) Viewed 4939 times
IMG_1890R.jpg
IMG_1890R.jpg (134.94 KiB) Viewed 4939 times
Hi! My name's Dave!

'09 LB/LB Clubman S - "Max"
89 Mini "Racing Green"
94 SPi Project (The Hot Rod)
Sspreso
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Sspreso »

Thanks for the tips Dave. Work will be done at home in the garage as nothing ever goes as planned. It can sit on stands a few weeks if it gets really out of hand. Taz has been regulated to garage queen (er king?) status. I never remember to take pictures. I have a camera mount on my helmet, maybe I'll just record a POV while taking everything off, lol. But then there would be video of me mumbling 'lefty loosey, righty tighty'.
-John Herrman
2012 JCW Coupe aka 'Taz'
Zack
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Zack »

The horror stories of the PSRS is why I returned them and bought Powerflex bushings. But that was me. I know John races his car a lot.
Bruno - 2022 JCW
Former MINI's
2006 R53 Mini Cooper S
2011 R55 Mini Cooper Clubman
2013 R56 Mini Cooper S JCW
2008 R56 MINI Cooper S JCW
2014 R55 MINI JCW Clubman
2017 F56 MINI Cooper S JCW
MiniManiac
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by MiniManiac »

Good lord that is a ton of work. Good luck!
Seth
08 MCS - JCW
1974/1993 Classic Mini - 70 WHP!
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

Seth, here's the thread I did on this car last year....

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=2904
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
nine5raptor
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by nine5raptor »

A very nice writeup! And good to see the 'surgery' pics as well.
2010 MCS CR/W with some custom vinyl, JCW sport suspension (minus FSB), CNT cat back, Add a brake, Alta AP, Devil's Own H2O/Meth Injection, random other little stuff, and some good ol' mud flaps
MiniManiac
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by MiniManiac »

Minidave wrote:Seth, here's the thread I did on this car last year....

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=2904
Incredible!
Seth
08 MCS - JCW
1974/1993 Classic Mini - 70 WHP!
Sspreso
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Sspreso »

MiniManiac wrote:Good lord that is a ton of work. Good luck!
Yeah and the work list is getting longer...but the results should be EPIC!

The moment you practically have the engine pulled, all the 'too hard to do' arguments don't hold. So know the sky is the limit (actually my credit card is the limit).

I've read the complaints on the PSRS, but some thread lock and a spot weld fixes the biggest issue. As for rattles...yeah I passed the rattle care point back in 2012. There's a reason the car is named Taz....loud, uncivilized, and may try bite you at any point.
-John Herrman
2012 JCW Coupe aka 'Taz'
nine5raptor
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by nine5raptor »

Sspreso wrote:Thanks for the tips Dave. Work will be done at home in the garage as nothing ever goes as planned. It can sit on stands a few weeks if it gets really out of hand. Taz has been regulated to garage queen (er king?) status. I never remember to take pictures. I have a camera mount on my helmet, maybe I'll just record a POV while taking everything off, lol. But then there would be video of me mumbling 'lefty loosey, righty tighty'.
If that is the worst you mumble on an undertaking such as this, I applaud you! :shock:
2010 MCS CR/W with some custom vinyl, JCW sport suspension (minus FSB), CNT cat back, Add a brake, Alta AP, Devil's Own H2O/Meth Injection, random other little stuff, and some good ol' mud flaps
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

If you need help, give me a call......don't forget to walnut blast the intake while you have it all apart.....

And I know guys who did the thread lock AND welded them and they still rattled, but it's your call. Don't weld them in and at least you can get them back out again if you choose. If you do weld them, be careful where you attach your ground lead, you don't want the weld amperage/voltage going thru the bearings.
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
Zack
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Zack »

nine5raptor wrote:
Sspreso wrote:Thanks for the tips Dave. Work will be done at home in the garage as nothing ever goes as planned. It can sit on stands a few weeks if it gets really out of hand. Taz has been regulated to garage queen (er king?) status. I never remember to take pictures. I have a camera mount on my helmet, maybe I'll just record a POV while taking everything off, lol. But then there would be video of me mumbling 'lefty loosey, righty tighty'.
If that is the worst you mumble on an undertaking such as this, I applaud you! :shock:
Usually my mumbling with working on my car turns into shouts and expletives. Not always, but some of the time.
Bruno - 2022 JCW
Former MINI's
2006 R53 Mini Cooper S
2011 R55 Mini Cooper Clubman
2013 R56 Mini Cooper S JCW
2008 R56 MINI Cooper S JCW
2014 R55 MINI JCW Clubman
2017 F56 MINI Cooper S JCW