oil pan baffles

How-To and Pics of Mods to your MINI/Mini
Sspreso
MINIAC
MINIAC

oil pan baffles

Post by Sspreso »

Posted this over on KCRSCCA too, but looking to add a couple baffles to my oil pan.

http://www.kcrscca.org/kcrforum/viewtop ... f=11&t=168

Has anyone else done this? Know of someone who can do it?
-John Herrman
2012 JCW Coupe aka 'Taz'
-If you car doesn't try to kill you, it's under modded.
MiniManiac
MINIAC
MINIAC

Re: oil pan baffles

Post by MiniManiac »

Can you educate me on the point of doing this?
Seth
08 MCS - JCW
1974/1993 Classic Mini - 70 WHP!
Sspreso
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Sspreso »

In high G cornering all the oil in the pan can be pushed to the outside of the pan by centripetal force. Since the oil pickup is in the center of the pan, it can end up being left high and dry. Now some cars have a worse issue than others, and normally it isn't an issue even with most autocrossing Minis. Problem is I'm going to be running really wide r-comps and the cornering forces will be even higher now.

So with the baffles in middle of the pan, some oil gets trapped in the little bowl created. Chances of oil starvation go down.
-John Herrman
2012 JCW Coupe aka 'Taz'
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

The 2nd gen cars have a steel oil pan, so it should be pretty easy to weld up some sheet metal baffles for it. I would need to pull the pan to see how large and how to engineer them to be effective.

I know that RMW used to build some for the R53 but I don't know if they'd work with the R56 pan....something like this is what you're after....

There was a thread about this in 2010 on the NAM, but I haven't seen where anyone has gone any further.

Pull your pan and we'll have a look, as you can see from the pic they're just sheet metal, and I have a welder.....all it needs is a couple of spot welds in a few places.
Hi! My name's Dave!

'09 LB/LB Clubman S - "Max"
89 Mini "Racing Green"
94 SPi Project (The Hot Rod)
Sspreso
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Sspreso »

Awesome! I'll have it off in a few weeks. Even to simple plates welded in should help.

Also installing a SneedSpeed oil cooler. With water/meth system that's about all I can do to baby the motor while flogging it :mrgreen:

Yeah I reached out to Jan, but that guy has a lot on his plate, so we shall see.
-John Herrman
2012 JCW Coupe aka 'Taz'
MiniManiac
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by MiniManiac »

Sspreso wrote:In high G cornering all the oil in the pan can be pushed to the outside of the pan by centripetal force. Since the oil pickup is in the center of the pan, it can end up being left high and dry. Now some cars have a worse issue than others, and normally it isn't an issue even with most autocrossing Minis. Problem is I'm going to be running really wide r-comps and the cornering forces will be even higher now.

So with the baffles in middle of the pan, some oil gets trapped in the little bowl created. Chances of oil starvation go down.
Now I know :)
Seth
08 MCS - JCW
1974/1993 Classic Mini - 70 WHP!
Zack
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Zack »

MiniManiac wrote:
Sspreso wrote:In high G cornering all the oil in the pan can be pushed to the outside of the pan by centripetal force. Since the oil pickup is in the center of the pan, it can end up being left high and dry. Now some cars have a worse issue than others, and normally it isn't an issue even with most autocrossing Minis. Problem is I'm going to be running really wide r-comps and the cornering forces will be even higher now.

Now I know :)
http://youtu.be/pele5vptVgc
Bruno - 2022 JCW
Former MINI's
2006 R53 Mini Cooper S
2011 R55 Mini Cooper Clubman
2013 R56 Mini Cooper S JCW
2008 R56 MINI Cooper S JCW
2014 R55 MINI JCW Clubman
2017 F56 MINI Cooper S JCW