Project OVRKLL

How-To and Pics of Mods to your MINI/Mini
Sspreso
MINIAC
MINIAC

Project OVRKLL

Post by Sspreso »

While I'm not documenting Taz's transformation on NAM or Motoring Authority, I'd like to share it here. Too many know it alls, or people saying it can't be done on those public forums. So when it's all said and done, here's what I want to have done:

Engine Mods:
-Battle Tuning/DNA Stage 4 tune - Done (still needs to be dialed in...)
-JMTC e45hp hybrid turbo -DONE
-Gen 3 ported header - DONE
-NM Engineering CAI - DONE
-Helix FMIC - DONE
-Cold and hot boost tubes with noise maker deleted - DONE
-Alta mechanica DV -DONE (GFB DV+ diverter upgrade was always throwing a code... couldn't be explained)
-AR Designs 3”->2.5” catless downpipe - DONE
-VIP Custom 2.5” straight through exhaust - DONE
-HFS-4 water/meth system 80 meth / 20 water - DONE
-Forge/Samco coolent hose kit -DONE
-Sneed Speed oil cooler - DONE
-Saikou Michi dual OCC - DONE
-Ignition Projects Plasma Coils - DONE
-OS Giken STR Clutch - DONE
-OS Giken 1 way LSD -DONE

Suspension
-BSH engine mount - DONE
-Alta PSRS inserts - DONE
-Powerflex black series bushings - Done (didn't do rear top mounts, was told too solid will cause binding of rear strut)
-Vorslag camber plates - DONE
-M7 strut brace - DONE
-HVT custom 3-way adjustable coilovers with ACE - DONE
-WMW adjustable end links - DONE
-Helix upper and lower rear control arms - DONE
-Tarrett Sports rear sway bar - DONE
-TCE Performance front and rear custom brakes with Wilwood/Brembo setup - DONE

Wheels and tires:
-235/40/17 Starspec ZIIs - DONE
-F:275/35/15 R:225/45/15 Hoosier A6s - waiting on custom 15" wheels...and still waiting on custom wheels.

Other:
-Cobra Imola Profit seats on VAC brakets - DONE (with warnings :cry: )
-Scroth harnesses - DONE
-Craven Speed short throw kit - DONE
-PLX Wifi OBDII/iMFD with AFR,Boost,EGT, - DONE
-Innovate Oil Temp/Pressure gauge - DONE
-iPhone 4 with DashCommand, Harry’s Laptimer Pro, and fixed GoPro setup
-GP belly pan - DONE
-GP rear diffuser - DONE
-JCW fixed rear spoiler - DONE
-LithiumIon light weight battery - DONE
-LED fog/driving lights - DONE

Goals:
-2350-2450lbs in race trim
-280whp/310wtq
-Damn good looking car

I'll post pics as the ball gets rolling. Just doing test fittings and working out a wrenching schedule. I hope to starting tearing into Taz end of Feb, early March. First autocross is April 5th.

One result of this will be take off parts and gently used bolt-ons. I'll post those as I get them.

EDITED shows whats been done.
Last edited by Sspreso on Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:37 am, edited 9 times in total.
-John Herrman
2012 JCW Coupe aka 'Taz'
-If you car doesn't try to kill you, it's under modded.
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Re: Project OVRKLL

Post by Minidave »

Excellent.....looks like a lot of work ahead.

Let me know if I can help, don't forget I have a lift, especially when the weather warms up.
Hi! My name's Dave!

'09 LB/LB Clubman S - "Max"
89 Mini "Racing Green"
94 SPi Project (The Hot Rod)
MiniManiac
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by MiniManiac »

That is ambitious!!

Good luck and post pics :)
Seth
08 MCS - JCW
1974/1993 Classic Mini - 70 WHP!
nine5raptor
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by nine5raptor »

Very cool! I'll be keeping an eye on here. For what you do as well as the parts you are selling :D

Every time a package shows up at the house I tell my wife it's 'more probably not stolen car parts'!

May ask you for a ride in the car later as well :lol:
2010 MCS CR/W with some custom vinyl, JCW sport suspension (minus FSB), CNT cat back, Add a brake, Alta AP, Devil's Own H2O/Meth Injection, random other little stuff, and some good ol' mud flaps
Sspreso
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Sspreso »

Feel free to ask questions and post thoughts. I'm not against that. It's the 'bigger turbos don't work' and 'N14 is a glass engine' crowd that has me not sharing outside this private forum.

The 3"->2.5" downpipe seemed to make sense as if you are getting the best of both a 3" and 2.5" system. Let's not turn this into the back pressure debate :D

Depending how much air this new turbo pushes, I may end up at a full 3" system. That's what all the sensors are about. If the EGTs don't behave themselves, then something will have to change.
-John Herrman
2012 JCW Coupe aka 'Taz'
nine5raptor
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by nine5raptor »

Aye, I redacted my previous comments for that reason. Let's focus on the awesomeness of this build that you have planned!

For EGTs, is there a target you are trying to keep under? ARe you using it as an indication of knock (jumping EGTs can indicate pulled timing)?
2010 MCS CR/W with some custom vinyl, JCW sport suspension (minus FSB), CNT cat back, Add a brake, Alta AP, Devil's Own H2O/Meth Injection, random other little stuff, and some good ol' mud flaps
Zack
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Zack »

All I wanna know is what John does for a living and how I could get that kind of job. :mrgreen:
Bruno - 2022 JCW
Former MINI's
2006 R53 Mini Cooper S
2011 R55 Mini Cooper Clubman
2013 R56 Mini Cooper S JCW
2008 R56 MINI Cooper S JCW
2014 R55 MINI JCW Clubman
2017 F56 MINI Cooper S JCW
nine5raptor
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by nine5raptor »

I wonder if he does what I try to do?

I close my eyes and just click the buy button. I hope the magic money fairies will bring me more money overnight while I am sleeping!
MiniManiac
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by MiniManiac »

nine5raptor wrote:I wonder if he does what I try to do?

I close my eyes and just click the buy button. I hope the magic money fairies will bring me more money overnight while I am sleeping!
Me too! This time, the magic fairies dropped off new wheels for the classic :D
Seth
08 MCS - JCW
1974/1993 Classic Mini - 70 WHP!
nine5raptor
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by nine5raptor »

Mine dropped off an AP today! I fed them a marshmallow in exchange :)
nine5raptor
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by nine5raptor »

John, have you done any baseline dyno runs?
Sspreso
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Sspreso »

Zackattack28 wrote:All I wanna know is what John does for a living and how I could get that kind of job. :mrgreen:
I got into iPhone and mobile app development early on and it has proved to be a great career move :mrgreen:

I get paid to do what I love and play with the latest gadgets and technology.
-John Herrman
2012 JCW Coupe aka 'Taz'
Sspreso
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Sspreso »

nine5raptor wrote:John, have you done any baseline dyno runs?
Yes, I've done a base line dyno at 1400miles (Dyno0), then with Stage 3 AP (Dyno1), and then with my Jan/RMW tune(Dyno2).

http://www.mobilezamboni.com/images/Dyno0.jpg
http://www.mobilezamboni.com/images/Dyno1.jpg
http://www.mobilezamboni.com/images/Dyno2.bmp
-John Herrman
2012 JCW Coupe aka 'Taz'
DSKSMini

Post by DSKSMini »

Awesome Project. Thanks for posting, John. I look forward to following it.
nine5raptor
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by nine5raptor »

Sspreso wrote:
Yes, I've done a base line dyno at 1400miles (Dyno0), then with Stage 3 AP (Dyno1), and then with my Jan/RMW tune(Dyno2).

I'm pretty impressed by your dyno0!

For a grassroots gathering, we oughta plan a dyno day sometime. I'd be interested to see what mine is making just for curiosities sake.

With the power you are making, you must have some wicked torque steer!
Sspreso
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Sspreso »

Got the garage and work bench dug out. MaxJax arrives Monday and hopefully the car goes up by the weekend. Many of the parts are getting delayed by the weather. A few items are on back order or taking the slow boat from China, literally.

Up first will be LSD and Clutch. With the subframe out I'll do the v2 Alta PSRS and frontsway bar bushings.

I'm also just going to pull the entire front including radiator. My previous downpipe install went a bit sideways and there is no way to remove the back stud. So with the radiator out I'm doing new Forge/Sameco hoses. They flow a bit better, so given the new turbo, I'm doing everything I can to help the motor stay cool.

The new gen 3 JCW header + hybrid turbo will go on. Will wrap everything to keep heat in and away from oil lines and radiator. After radiator and new hoses go in, I'm going to install the Sneed Speed oil cooler. Normally overkill for autocross, but the June-August events can be 100+ out there so it will help. Also the oil cooler will take some of the load off the rest of the cooling system. The extra quart of oil capacity will be nice too.

There are a few other house keeping items...fixing broken clips, replacing my nonOEM fasteners, new shifter lug. Then install the GP belly pan. Taz will have a smooth underbody from tip to tail.

Once everything from this round is buttoned up I'll run it for a few days then ship the ECU to DynoComp for a tune.
-John Herrman
2012 JCW Coupe aka 'Taz'
Sspreso
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Sspreso »

nine5raptor wrote:
Sspreso wrote:

I'm pretty impressed by your dyno0!

For a grassroots gathering, we oughta plan a dyno day sometime. I'd be interested to see what mine is making just for curiosities sake.

With the power you are making, you must have some wicked torque steer!
Actually with the e-diff the torque steer isn't as bad as it was in my brother's MazdaSpeed 3. That thing would try to take your arms off. But he did have a E85 tune making 400tq.

If we want to do a dyno day I suggest we do RevLine Motors. Nice group of guys. They are used to FWD cars vs MC Racing and other places that focus on RWD or AWD cars.
-John Herrman
2012 JCW Coupe aka 'Taz'
Sspreso
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Sspreso »

Here's the suspension I will be moving to. I've offered to write their iPhone app in exchange for discount :D

http://hancheyvehicletech.com/tractive- ... y-hvt.html

You can program the suspension to behave differently on constant radius turns vs slaloms vs sharp uphill turns. The Bilstein PSS10s will be coming off with less than 2000 miles on them in March-April. They are a nice setup for anyone wanting easy adjustments and a progressive ride (the are progressive sprints FWIW). Unlike Koni yellows there isn't any drilling out of OEM pieces. I found out from Baron that the 2nd Gen GP is using a Bilstein based strut very similar to the PSS10s.

New they are 1900-2200. I'll sell them to someone in the club for 1400 and include a set of WMW adjustable end links which are a must for these. 1500 I'll help install them and we can use my lift come April :-) But remember you'll have to wait 4-5 weeks.
-John Herrman
2012 JCW Coupe aka 'Taz'
nine5raptor
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by nine5raptor »

Sspreso wrote: Actually with the e-diff the torque steer isn't as bad as it was in my brother's MazdaSpeed 3. That thing would try to take your arms off. But he did have a E85 tune making 400tq.

If we want to do a dyno day I suggest we do RevLine Motors. Nice group of guys. They are used to FWD cars vs MC Racing and other places that focus on RWD or AWD cars.
I assume your 12 JCW has the same system as my 10 S as it was the year they dropped the physical LSD. Not sure what options were available though that may make them different. I installed the AP yesterday and on these crappy road surfaces (wet, salty, etc), I was all over the place trying to test it out. Reminded me of when I test drove an '07 last year. It felt more powerful than it was due to the torque steer. My '10 is normally pretty mild mannered.
DSKSMini

Post by DSKSMini »

The Bilstein PSS10s will be coming off with less than 2000 miles on them in March-April. They are a nice setup for anyone wanting easy adjustments and a progressive ride (the are progressive sprints FWIW).
Really tempted to sell the swifts and koni yellows I bought from you last fall and put these on instead (if they aren't already spoken for). How did they compare to the old setup?
Sspreso
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Sspreso »

DSKSMini wrote:
The Bilstein PSS10s will be coming off with less than 2000 miles on them in March-April. They are a nice setup for anyone wanting easy adjustments and a progressive ride (the are progressive sprints FWIW).
Really tempted to sell the swifts and koni yellows I bought from you last fall and put these on instead (if they aren't already spoken for). How did they compare to the old setup?
No the PSS10s are not spoken for yet.

The Koni's and Swifts were fine for street driving, if but a little rough. The Yellow/Swift setup is great for those looking to go low too. Thing is they became unpredictable on the track when combined with my r-comps. The PSS10s are much more tolerable on the street and behave themselves on the track. Also a much greater range of adjustment. The Konis seemed like on/off switches. The PSS10s I can tell when I've only make a 2-click change.
-John Herrman
2012 JCW Coupe aka 'Taz'
Sspreso
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Sspreso »

Had an interesting Facebook discussion over the weekend about N14 JCW vs N18 header. Arric from JM Turbo Cooper prefers the non-JCW header:

Although I really don't like the gen 2 JCW manifold. Port 1(on right) is huge and port 4 is really small so you have both high and low velocity air mixing in the turbo, not good. Also port 3 flows into a wall as it combines with port 2 and both have to flow threw a port that is smaller than the restricted port 4. Not to mention that there are strange shapes and angle in every restricted port. Yes it looks great but when you compare them side by side it leaves you scratching your head at the logic. You can even see it from the outside see attached. The gen 3 has consistently sized ports without a lot of flow disruption.

Here is a pic JCW upper, Gen 3 lower:

Here are a couple more links to Arric's stuff:
http://www.jmturbocoopers.com/Mini-Coop ... Turbo.html
http://www.jmturbocoopers.com/JMTC-Mani ... rvice.html

Here are pics of my header ported and coated (sorry upside down, but you get the idea):

Some in the FB conversation posted their now ported JCW header and you can see the casting seam inside it and some mild rough edges at the ports.

It could be that Gen3 < JCW < Gen 3 Ported < JCW Ported??? I assume Arric tried that and the Gen 3 Ported worked best when paired to a larger turbo. So we shall see. At some point you have to stop second guessing things and start testing. That said, I'll be keeping the JCW header for awhile just incase...
-John Herrman
2012 JCW Coupe aka 'Taz'
Sspreso
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Sspreso »

Was doing inventory yesterday and discovered the Innovate MTX gauges will not work as expected. I was hoping to daisy chain them together and pull the data into my OBDII/iPhone app. The MTX gauges are nice and would work individually but not for what I'm wanting.

Instead I'm switching the the PLX Devices setup. https://www.plxdevices.com

When I originally did my Innovate setup the PLX/Kiwi devices where not nearly this robust. But now I think they are the best choice if you are running everything through a smart phone app. If you want really nice digital/mechanical gauges, then Innovate still wins.
-John Herrman
2012 JCW Coupe aka 'Taz'
DSKSMini

Post by DSKSMini »

Saw that Scangage has a Kickstarter.com project for a WIFI ODBII monitor. They claim 4 times faster than a blue tooth one.
Sspreso
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Sspreso »

The lift is in! Wasn't too bad to get setup. Getting the garage door raised higher and motor moved so any clearance issues will be going away. A few that I'm not happy with.
1) The front to back room isn't what I hoped. We installed the lift a bit further forward so we could get my brothers car on it. Pretty much puts the nose on the tool box!
2) It only locks out at 24 & 45". I could see use for lifting a car only 12-18" to do oil changes and quick suspension work.
3) I may have to drive the Mini up onto blocks to get the lift under it once I'm adjusted to race specs. The lift arms just squeeze under now and I'm at max height on the coilovers.

The racing seats should be here Monday, so I'm going to do a test fit on passenger side and see what kind of warnings and lights I get if I just leave airbag and occupancy sensor as is. 95% of my other parts have arrived and now just a matter of getting the ball rolling. I hoping the biggest chunk is completed by this time next week.

Since I'm getting garage door work done on Wednesday, the big tear down will have to wait until Thursday.
-John Herrman
2012 JCW Coupe aka 'Taz'