Knock sensor on R56S

How-To and Pics of Mods to your MINI/Mini
nine5raptor
MINIAC
MINIAC

Knock sensor on R56S

Post by nine5raptor »

Anyone knowledgeable on what to watch for on a remapped R56S (N14)?

Logging with the AP...AFR looks good, nice and rich. Timing looks good, progresses upwards as RPM increases. What I am trying to sort out now is Cyl Knock V (V). Looks like we have multiple knock sensors and they each have a voltage output associated with the noise they pickup. They also seem to be all over the place. I see anywhere from 2.29V to 4.35V in a single pull. Anything to be concerned with ? How do I interpret knock sensor voltage on these motors?

Also, while doing a few logging pulls a new 5.0 Mustang thought I was trying to start a race. We hung neck and neck up the entrance ramp to the highway. :lol: His exhaust was much, much louder than mine so not stock either. I think I need to get a catless dp now. :mrgreen: :chili: Not saying that I am making 420hp like he was but I bet he was rather surprised! Hard to beat the sound of a ford small block too.

Thanks,
Chris
2010 MCS CR/W with some custom vinyl, JCW sport suspension (minus FSB), CNT cat back, Add a brake, Alta AP, Devil's Own H2O/Meth Injection, random other little stuff, and some good ol' mud flaps
Sspreso
MINIAC
MINIAC

Re: Knock sensor on R56S

Post by Sspreso »

I've never come across that data myself. You might be able to find out the sensor make and find the specs online. I've tried to see the knock sensors via OBDII and haven't had any luck. The AP has been the only device that's shown it.

During hot autocrosses I've seen a few Mini's throw the super-knock code, but outside of that I've never heard many people experiencing knock.
-John Herrman
2012 JCW Coupe aka 'Taz'
-If you car doesn't try to kill you, it's under modded.
MiniManiac
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by MiniManiac »

Sspreso wrote:I've never come across that data myself. You might be able to find out the sensor make and find the specs online. I've tried to see the knock sensors via OBDII and haven't had any luck. The AP has been the only device that's shown it.

During hot autocrosses I've seen a few Mini's throw the super-knock code, but outside of that I've never heard many people experiencing knock.
Mine was throwing the super-knock code when I was using the premium gas offered on Ft. Carson. Once I stopped using that, no more codes :)

I know this post in no-way helps the OP. 8)
Seth
08 MCS - JCW
1974/1993 Classic Mini - 70 WHP!
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

I wish I could have gotten mine to show that code, they would have done the walnut blast for me under warranty if it had! :roll:

My car has just been too damn reliable! :mrgreen:
Hi! My name's Dave!

'09 LB/LB Clubman S - "Max"
89 Mini "Racing Green"
94 SPi Project (The Hot Rod)
nine5raptor
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by nine5raptor »

Sspreso wrote:I've never come across that data myself. You might be able to find out the sensor make and find the specs online. I've tried to see the knock sensors via OBDII and haven't had any luck. The AP has been the only device that's shown it.

I'm just trying to see what I can see to verify everything is as I want. I've used timing advance in the past as an indicator of knock and also EGT (on other cars - looking for sudden spikes). I typically have a bluetooth OBDII reader plugged in and use the app Torque to watch Timing/AFR/EGT/Boost/Coolant Temp.

Autocross is something I have wanted to do for 14 years and just never have! I may need to come out and witness an event or 2 this season then maybe I will try my hand at it.
2010 MCS CR/W with some custom vinyl, JCW sport suspension (minus FSB), CNT cat back, Add a brake, Alta AP, Devil's Own H2O/Meth Injection, random other little stuff, and some good ol' mud flaps
nine5raptor
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by nine5raptor »

MiniManiac wrote:

Mine was throwing the super-knock code when I was using the premium gas offered on Ft. Carson. Once I stopped using that, no more codes :)

I know this post in no-way helps the OP. 8)
For mine, I am sticking to BP 93 octance (with ethanol) which is the closest station to me. If I want pure gas, I can get 91 from either Hy-Vee or another BP. I would rather have the octance though. :D
nine5raptor
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by nine5raptor »

Minidave wrote:I wish I could have gotten mine to show that code, they would have done the walnut blast for me under warranty if it had! :roll:

My car has just been too damn reliable! :mrgreen:
Just need a fast hand and a hammer! Or a few buddies with hammers to all hit it in sucession. :shock: :lol:

I used to have timing pulled on my talon when the Hydraulic lifter would get stuck in the compressed state as the knock sensor just heard something. Would have to pull them all, soak em in cleaner and get them all unstuck. What a way to spend a Saturday!
Sspreso
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Sspreso »

nine5raptor wrote: Autocross is something I have wanted to do for 14 years and just never have! I may need to come out and witness an event or 2 this season then maybe I will try my hand at it.
The local region does several novice schools that are an awesome time to try it. For $70-80 you get time Saturday to practice and learn from experienced drivers, then do an actual event on Sunday. This helps get past the fear of failure and fear of look bad that keeps many first timers from just showing on Sunday.

Current schedule:
http://www.kcrscca.org/kcrforum/viewtop ... 7&start=20
-John Herrman
2012 JCW Coupe aka 'Taz'
nine5raptor
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by nine5raptor »

Gah! It falls on a weekend, where I am out on travel the week before and have to fly back out on Sunday the 13th to CA. My wife may kill me if I leave her and the kiddos on Sat as well.

Potentially, though, the travel could get wiped out. I waiting to see if I get an interview for a new position at work. If I change jobs, the travel would be canceled. And I would have more money for the MINI! So far, the hiring manager has been asking about me, so I take that as a good sign.
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

If you really want to see what your MINI will do, come to Heartland Park with us and run the road course!

Fun on a bun!, and not a lot more money that AutoX, plus it's on Wednesdays!
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
nine5raptor
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by nine5raptor »

The risk of consequences is much higher though. I will admit I am a scaredy cat there. If I came out, I would not push it - at least not the first lap!

First I need to see if my helmet is still valid. May be out of date.
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

You would drive in the novice class first, so you could learn the braking points and the right line thru the corner and with an instructor, but these are not timed laps, you drive as fast as you're comfortable. There's no passing except with point by and only on the straights. Your first session is all done under yellow flag conditions.

That said, you can drive as quickly and to the limits of your ability and your car's capabilities......and instead of a 30 second run like in AutoX, you run 20 minute sessions, which gives you a chance to learn more, and string several good laps together...not to mention considerably higher speeds both on the straights and in the corners.

I usually run 4 sessions, and that's plenty - by then I'm done! I run the intermediate class as I don't have to spend as much track time pointing other cars by as I would in the advanced class, where the Porsches, Corvettes, Vipers and the like run.
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
Sspreso
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Sspreso »

Minidave wrote:and instead of a 30 second run like in AutoX
That is location dependent but even with smaller sites like MCC, we still see 45-60 seconds per run. 4-5 runs per event. At larger national events it can easily be 70 second courses.
Minidave wrote:you run 20 minute sessions, which gives you a chance to learn more, and string several good laps together...
Learn more...? Don't know if I'd agree. Learn different skills yes. Possible improve at a faster rate per event? Probably. Part the the autoX challenge is that you only get a few cracks at it. Each event the course is different.

[quote="Minidave"not to mention considerably higher speeds both on the straights and in the corners. [/quote]
We see speeds 50-65 on course. Feels faster because the courses are tight and come at you fast.

HPDE and Autocross scratch two different itches. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to get out to HPT more often and even do more of the events at Nebraska and Iowa tracks.
-John Herrman
2012 JCW Coupe aka 'Taz'
DSKSMini

Post by DSKSMini »

I have a data log from the AP with a strong pull in 3rd gear from my JCW if you want to compare files. The knock V in mine is also all over the map but I did remember that the AP monitor said the knock flags were not set (still not sure what all that means).
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

I agree AutoX and track work are different, but I think they compliment each other, AutoX teaches precision and quick hands, track uses those skills and expands with higher speeds and more control needed.
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"