Post clutch install issues

How-To and Pics of Mods to your MINI/Mini
Sspreso
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post clutch install issues

Post by Sspreso »

First big snafu of project OVRKLL.

We did the OS Giken STR install, but now the car will not go into gear.

-We made sure to get the throw out bearing installed per the little note OSG puts in the box.
-Checked the flywheel bolt length and it seemed fine. Bolted on with no issues. Car idles and revs fine.
-When the clutch cover was torqued over the pressure plate, whenever we came back around to bolt 1, it was loose. So it took several trips to get it all torqued down.
-Didn't replace fork, pivot ball etc as all that only had 20k miles.
-Replaced the slave cylinder and prepped & bled system with every trick in the book.
-When you depress the clutch with car off, you hear a sloppy wet noise coming from brake fluid reservoir. Pedal is stock firm but slowly get softer the more I press it when idling.

It acts like the clutch fork travels about 1/4" then stops dead cold. So theory is somethings wrong with clutch fork or pressure plate.

Thoughts or suggestions?
-John Herrman
2012 JCW Coupe aka 'Taz'
-If you car doesn't try to kill you, it's under modded.
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Re: Post clutch install issues

Post by Minidave »

Yes, you don't have it bled properly. What you need to do is make the tool that forces the slave cylinder piston back into the cylinder all the way (don't go too far, you can damage it)....if you do a search you'll find pics of many that people have made out of scrap stuff.....

The factory tool looks like this

With the piston forced in like this, then you bleed it and all the air will come out - then it will work properly.
Hi! My name's Dave!

'09 LB/LB Clubman S - "Max"
89 Mini "Racing Green"
94 SPi Project (The Hot Rod)
Sspreso
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Sspreso »

Spent the day removing everything and starting from scratch. Confirmed clutch was assembled per OS Giken's instructions. Reassembled and bleed the system per Dave's guide.

Things seemed to be going back together smoother than 1st time, but then about 5-6 seconds after starting the car we hear a horrible grinding noise coming from clutch area. I immediately kill the car. The sound was much like the grinding of gear noise we hear yesterday.

I have a call out OS Giken for guidance. What we've noticed post diagnoses is that even when the car is off and in gear, we can manually turn the front wheels.

My mechanic brother thinks that the input shaft isn't completely seated in the clutch, but not sure how that could occur and still get the transmission bolted back on.

Open to ideas to further trouble shoot and theories to what's happened.
-John Herrman
2012 JCW Coupe aka 'Taz'
Sspreso
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Sspreso »

Seems like this could be 'normal'. It turns out the OSGs have an all metal TO bearing and it presses against metal fingers on the the clutch cover. So the sound of tin cans in a dryer can be expected when the clutch pedal is full press down... Or at least that the consensus after some googling and youtube watching. Waiting to confirm with OSG.
-John Herrman
2012 JCW Coupe aka 'Taz'
Sspreso
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Sspreso »

Hard to correctly install the wrong clutch. Turns out either OS Giken or RMW sent me a R53 kit. The noises we heard where the larger r53 splines spinning on top of the smaller r56.
-John Herrman
2012 JCW Coupe aka 'Taz'
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

Aha! yeah.....that makes sense now....glad you found the issue. By now you're going to be our resident expert at R56 clutches! :roll:
Hi! My name's Dave!

'09 LB/LB Clubman S - "Max"
89 Mini "Racing Green"
94 SPi Project (The Hot Rod)
Sspreso
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Sspreso »

My brother and I can now drop a subframe and transmission in 90 minutes flat. :lol:
-John Herrman
2012 JCW Coupe aka 'Taz'