Wheel Bearing

How-To and Pics of Mods to your MINI/Mini
Hagar46
MINIAC
MINIAC

Wheel Bearing

Post by Hagar46 »

Ok, question for all you MINI mechanically inclined owners. I believe I have a bad driver's side front wheel bearing. As I get above 35 mph, I get an increasingly louder humming from the drive train the faster I go. My question is, "Is there any way to be certain that it is a wheel bearing and not a CV joint or the CVT transmission?"
George

03 Cooper, Silk Green, CVT, ProMini CAI, Borla Exhaust, Schroth 4-pt Harness, Sportlink Hitch, 277,000+ miles, R.I.P. :(
06 MCS automatic, Chili Red w/white roof, 115k miles, Monte Carlo Rallye decals. :chili:
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Re: Wheel Bearing

Post by Minidave »

CV joint will be a clicking sound, most noticeable at slow speeds and when the wheels are turned sharply.....

It's probably a wheel bearing, just as you surmised....if you do them, do both - they have the same number of miles on them after all. 8)
Hi! My name's Dave!

'09 LB/LB Clubman S - "Max"
89 Mini "Racing Green"
94 SPi Project (The Hot Rod)
Hagar46
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Hagar46 »

And I don't think it is the CVT transmission because the sound does not change when I change gears. It is strictly speed dependent. Baron thought it might be tire wear but it seems to be only driver's side.
George

03 Cooper, Silk Green, CVT, ProMini CAI, Borla Exhaust, Schroth 4-pt Harness, Sportlink Hitch, 277,000+ miles, R.I.P. :(
06 MCS automatic, Chili Red w/white roof, 115k miles, Monte Carlo Rallye decals. :chili:
Hagar46
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Hagar46 »

Minidave, is this a job that could be done at a garage day or should I take it to a repair shop?
George

Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

I think we could do it at a shop day, let me look into it.....
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
Sspreso
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Sspreso »

Does the sound increase/decrease when driving around corners? Do a wide U-turn to the drivers side, then repeat the other way. If you get the sound only when turing towards the drivers side (or it is noticeably louder), it probably is the bearing.

...or is the other way around... :D
-John Herrman
2012 JCW Coupe aka 'Taz'
-If you car doesn't try to kill you, it's under modded.
Hagar46
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Hagar46 »

It does get louder turning to the right but is otherwise speed dependent. No clicking or thunking at low speed turning so I don't think it is CV joint.
George

nine5raptor
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by nine5raptor »

Quick check to rule out tire wear is a rotation. Can do it in a few minutes for free to rule it out.
2010 MCS CR/W with some custom vinyl, JCW sport suspension (minus FSB), CNT cat back, Add a brake, Alta AP, Devil's Own H2O/Meth Injection, random other little stuff, and some good ol' mud flaps
Hagar46
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Hagar46 »

Tire rotation made no change.
George

Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

It's a wheel bearing, buy two from your favorite source......
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
Hagar46
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Hagar46 »

One last question, "How dangerous is it to drive with a bad wheel bearing?"
George

Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

If it's not sloppy loose, it'll be OK for a while....if it has lateral movement, it could fail and leave you by the road.
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
davester
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by davester »

Back in 2008, a fellow MINI owner named Ivan (Kabootist) had a Checkmate MINI. He has sold his car but he had a wheel bearing press. I don't know how to get ahold of him to see if he still has it. I guess this is just useless information--- :?
2015 F56 S hatchback-Electric Blue/Black, Cold Weather Package,Premium Package, Sport Package and a lot of other crap. "BRUISER"

They call me David
Former MINI's
2004 R53 "Stubby"
2012 R58 Coupe "Deuce"
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

What's a wheel bearing press?

I have a 20 ton press, but usually front bearings like this come already pressed into the hub, so you just change out the hub assembly.

Kabootist went to HPT with us a year (2 years?) ago, I think he's still around....although at the time they were talking about moving him out of country for his work - I don't know if they did or not.
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
davester
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by davester »

Yep, your right but in our shops, we called it a wheel bearing press because that's mostly what we used it for-- pressing wheel bearings onto rear axles. Anyway, you are right about the hub bearing on the front of the MINI. Ivan bought a tool from Baron used to remove the hub bearing. :)
2015 F56 S hatchback-Electric Blue/Black, Cold Weather Package,Premium Package, Sport Package and a lot of other crap. "BRUISER"

They call me David
Former MINI's
2004 R53 "Stubby"
2012 R58 Coupe "Deuce"
REDSLED

Post by REDSLED »

There isn't a special tool for the front wheel bearings. Just 4 13mm bolts thru the knuckle from the backside. Its easier to pull the axle out of the bearing and push it to the side and then remove the bearing assembly from the knuckle although with the right size swivel socket and some persuasion you can work around the axle and release the bolts and pull the bearing assembly off the axle and out of the knuckle with the axle in place.
REDSLED

Post by REDSLED »

Sorry let me rephrase, you wont need a special tool. There is a special tool for everything if ya look hard enough lol
Hagar46
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Hagar46 »

Front wheel bearing hubs replaced today. No more loud humming sound at speed from the driver's side front wheel. :D After inspection of old bearings, one was very loose and one was very tight. Not sure which was the culprit but glad to have them both replaced.
George

kgreen66
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by kgreen66 »

Hagar46 wrote:Front wheel bearing hubs replaced today. No more loud humming sound at speed from the driver's side front wheel. :D After inspection of old bearings, one was very loose and one was very tight. Not sure which was the culprit but glad to have them both replaced.
Well done. :thumbsup2:
Hi! I'm Keith!
R53 2006 Chili Red MCS
16% Pulley / DDM CAI
Milltek Cat Back Exhaust