front rotors 2008 base mini

How-To and Pics of Mods to your MINI/Mini
papa28

front rotors 2008 base mini

Post by papa28 »

what is the minimum thickness of the front rotors on a base model 2008 before replacement?
also can or should the rotors be turned down?
I'm new to the group and appreciate the information the KCMINICLUB offers.
Thanks
Papa28
:)
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Re: front rotors 2008 base mini

Post by Minidave »

How many miles on the car?

Rotors should not be turned unless they're almost new and just need to be trued. However, do not use cheap pads, you'll regret it - they'll either become noisy or will cause pulsation.

In general, if you have a lip on either the inside or outside edge or both, the rotor needs to be replaced. You can buy them from many aftermarket vendors and auto parts stores, but Baron also has kits available with pads, rotors, sensors and everything you need to do the job for competitive prices.

I went with aftermarket pads this time only because I wanted to get away from having black front wheels all the time, but if you want to keep your car all OEM check with Baron for that kit .....if you mention being a club member they'll offer a discount on some things too.

Also notice, there is a club shop day coming up this month where you can change them yourself with some help from other club members.
Hi! My name's Dave!

'09 LB/LB Clubman S - "Max"
89 Mini "Racing Green"
94 SPi Project (The Hot Rod)
MiniMax
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by MiniMax »

Papa28,
I'm hosting the garage day this month. (4/12/14). PM me for directions and address. I'm going to do my rotors and pads.

MiniMax
REDSLED

Post by REDSLED »

If im not mistaken the front rotor min spec is 20.4mm and the rear is 8.4mm. It is stamped on the hat of the rotor. If you go back with stock pads and the rotor is above 20.4 then you should be fine.