Clanking noise continues.

How-To and Pics of Mods to your MINI/Mini
Zack
MINIAC
MINIAC

Clanking noise continues.

Post by Zack »

I still can't find the problem. I have checked and tightened every single bolt on the back of that car. It's not the sway bar, exhaust, struts or any other damn suspension part on that car. I am out of options or ideas. Advice is welcome as I don't know what to do now. If it is lack of grease then either I'm doing something wrong or I bought a defective grease gun.
Bruno - 2022 JCW
Former MINI's
2006 R53 Mini Cooper S
2011 R55 Mini Cooper Clubman
2013 R56 Mini Cooper S JCW
2008 R56 MINI Cooper S JCW
2014 R55 MINI JCW Clubman
2017 F56 MINI Cooper S JCW
MiniManiac
MINIAC
MINIAC

Re: Clanking noise continues.

Post by MiniManiac »

Where is the clanking coming from?

I once had a noise that was driving me absolutely nuts. It happened every time I went over a bump. I check my sway bar because I knew it was the squeaky culprit. One day my daughter was riding in the bag when she rejoiced in finding her favorite toy that was tucked away somewhere in the back. She took it inside and I have never had another squeaky problem :).
Seth
08 MCS - JCW
1974/1993 Classic Mini - 70 WHP!
davester
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by davester »

Have you checked the boot latch? Wrap the latch with elec. tape... :D
2015 F56 S hatchback-Electric Blue/Black, Cold Weather Package,Premium Package, Sport Package and a lot of other crap. "BRUISER"

They call me David
Former MINI's
2004 R53 "Stubby"
2012 R58 Coupe "Deuce"
Zack
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Zack »

davester wrote:Have you checked the boot latch? Wrap the latch with elec. tape... :D
Haven't tried that yet.

Update:
Well pulled brackets and tightened everything and greased the crap out of it. The noise isn't as frequent or pronounced now but still there. It sounds like the sway bar hitting the body of the car.
Bruno - 2022 JCW
Former MINI's
2006 R53 Mini Cooper S
MiniManiac
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by MiniManiac »

Zackattack28 wrote:
davester wrote:Have you checked the boot latch? Wrap the latch with elec. tape... :D
Haven't tried that yet.

Update:
Well pulled brackets and tightened everything and greased the crap out of it. The noise isn't as frequent or pronounced now but still there. It sounds like the sway bar hitting the body of the car.
It could be your shocks. If you recently took them off it is possible that you didn't tighten the top hat enough.
Seth
08 MCS - JCW
Zack
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Zack »

MiniManiac wrote:
Zackattack28 wrote:
Haven't tried that yet.

Update:
It could be your shocks. If you recently took them off it is possible that you didn't tighten the top hat enough.
Last time the back ones were off was last June. Before that they were just being installed at the factory. Baron said all the shocks and struts were fine and were pretty sure it was the sway bar. Dunno. Greased the heck out of it and it is still there. Maybe the bar is just big and I never noticed the noise until winter. Or it is something only noticeable with the full weight of the car on the ground.
Bruno - 2022 JCW
Former MINI's
2006 R53 Mini Cooper S
MiniManiac
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by MiniManiac »

Zackattack28 wrote:Last time the back ones were off was last June. Before that they were just being installed at the factory. Baron said all the shocks and struts were fine and were pretty sure it was the sway bar. Dunno. Greased the heck out of it and it is still there. Maybe the bar is just big and I never noticed the noise until winter. Or it is something only noticeable with the full weight of the car on the ground.
I don't know.
Seth
08 MCS - JCW
Zack
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Zack »

MiniManiac wrote:
Zackattack28 wrote:Last time the back ones were off was last June. Before that they were just being installed at the factory. Baron said all the shocks and struts were fine and were pretty sure it was the sway bar. Dunno. Greased the heck out of it and it is still there. Maybe the bar is just big and I never noticed the noise until winter. Or it is something only noticeable with the full weight of the car on the ground.
I don't know.
Ditto. Lol
Bruno - 2022 JCW
Former MINI's
2006 R53 Mini Cooper S
REDSLED

Post by REDSLED »

If it was me and I wanted to eliminate the sway bar as the possible culprit. I'd just disconnect the links and zip tie it up and out of the way. Take a test drive, if its still there then ya know to move on. If its gone then ya have your answer.
Zack
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Zack »

REDSLED wrote:If it was me and I wanted to eliminate the sway bar as the possible culprit. I'd just disconnect the links and zip tie it up and out of the way. Take a test drive, if its still there then ya know to move on. If its gone then ya have your answer.
Planning to try that this coming week. Sorted out the issue with the suspension not the same height. Needs time to settle into place after being taken apart. Now on to that. If I can sell my rota wheels I will have enough money to fix the other little things on the car.
Bruno - 2022 JCW
Former MINI's
2006 R53 Mini Cooper S