2003 MC door lock problem

How-To and Pics of Mods to your MINI/Mini
BlueBerry03MC
MINIAC
MINIAC

2003 MC door lock problem

Post by BlueBerry03MC »

Hey everyone! I have a 2003 MINI Cooper. I have a problem :(
The car will not lock/unlock via remote and the central toggle switch.
I tried to do it manually with both keys and it will not lock/unlock.
and the worst thing is I can't not open my driver's side at all.

What do you think is the problem?

Thanks,

Hilary :indi:
My name is Hilary
MINI Coopers in the family
BlueBerry 2003 Indi Blue MC, Black mirror caps & stripes, CVT.
Aussie 2013 Pepper White MCS, black top/mirror caps, chrome hood scoop & interior trim, leather seats, Automatic.
Hagar46
MINIAC
MINIAC

Re: 2003 MC door lock problem

Post by Hagar46 »

Might be a bad central locking system relay (a relay is like a super-duper fuse I think) located behind the side kick panel in front of the passenger seat. :cry: Bentley manual says that all your combined locking problems can be caused by this.
Last edited by Hagar46 on Wed Jun 25, 2014 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
George

03 Cooper, Silk Green, CVT, ProMini CAI, Borla Exhaust, Schroth 4-pt Harness, Sportlink Hitch, 277,000+ miles, R.I.P. :(
06 MCS automatic, Chili Red w/white roof, 115k miles, Monte Carlo Rallye decals. :chili:
BlueBerry03MC
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by BlueBerry03MC »

Unfortunately I think that might be my problem....It will not unlock/lock the car through the central toggle switch at all.
Now my passengers side door won't open...so frustrating :?
Does anyone have any information on how to fix this?
My name is Hilary
MINI Coopers in the family
BlueBerry 2003 Indi Blue MC, Black mirror caps & stripes, CVT.
Aussie 2013 Pepper White MCS, black top/mirror caps, chrome hood scoop & interior trim, leather seats, Automatic.
Hagar46
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Hagar46 »

If it was me, I would take it to the dealer or your favorite mechanic who knows MINI's. Other club members more mechnically inclined might help you with a DIY. See my edit about relays in my previuos post. :)
George

03 Cooper, Silk Green, CVT, ProMini CAI, Borla Exhaust, Schroth 4-pt Harness, Sportlink Hitch, 277,000+ miles, R.I.P. :(
06 MCS automatic, Chili Red w/white roof, 115k miles, Monte Carlo Rallye decals. :chili:
nine5raptor
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by nine5raptor »

Relays can be checked by listening for a click or potentially jumping over them to see if that cures the issue.

A relay is just a switch that uses a low voltage signal to close a higher voltage circuit (if I remember right from years ago). If you can identify the right one, you should be able to jump it and see if that fixes the issue. If so, should be a quick replacement (assuming it is easy to access).
2010 MCS CR/W with some custom vinyl, JCW sport suspension (minus FSB), CNT cat back, Add a brake, Alta AP, Devil's Own H2O/Meth Injection, random other little stuff, and some good ol' mud flaps
REDSLED

Post by REDSLED »

From you post if I understand correctly you saying you cant open the drivers door at all? even with the key in the lock cylinder? If this is the case it sounds like you vehicle is stuck in double lock. Most likely due to a faulty drivers latch assembly and or lock cylinder. Will the lock cylinder rotate smoothly without binding?