Plasti-dip

How-To and Pics of Mods to your MINI/Mini
Filthy Mechanic
MINIAC
MINIAC

Plasti-dip

Post by Filthy Mechanic »

After 13 years the factory rims were looking a little rough, so I thought I'd try the plasti-dip stuff that I've seen on the all the Saturday morning car shows. After pulling the wheels off and scrubbing them with Simple Green to get the brake dust off, I attacked them with the rattle can. It took 3 cans for the four wheels before I was satisfied with the coverage. The plasti-dip that I bought has a matte finish, so I also used a can of "glossifier" to add a bit of shine. All told it was about $40 from Walmart. I make no claim to being a good painter, the wheels look pretty good from about 5 feet. Not sure where I went wrong, but those car shows seem to get the job done in only 30 minutes and it took me much longer than that. :D The only thing to be carefull of is when you go to reinstall the wheel, drop the bolt in the hole and score around the head with a X-acto knife or scalpel and remove the plasti-dip that would be under the bolt head. Otherwise, you'll found just how easy it is to peel the stuff back off. I only made that mistake once and it was easy to touch up with a Q-tip. Overall, I'm pretty pleased with the result and we'll see how well it lasts. As long as I don't hit it with a pressure sprayer I think it will be OK.
plastidip resized1.jpg
plastidip resized1.jpg (116 KiB) Viewed 2254 times
Bill
Matilda-2003 MCS Indi blue & white
IowaM1N1
MINIAC
MINIAC

Re: Plasti-dip

Post by IowaM1N1 »

Mmmm..white wheels. Love 'em!
Greg
'19 Emerald Grey/Chili Red JCW (F56) <---- Greg's car