Strut Bearings Failed (Again) Recommended Replacements?

How-To and Pics of Mods to your MINI/Mini
Zack
MINIAC
MINIAC

Strut Bearings Failed (Again) Recommended Replacements?

Post by Zack »

Well went for an alignment and what do you know. The darn strut bearings failed again. I am done with Moog parts. Second Moog set to fail. Looking at other options, including Fixed camber plates with integrated bearings and also even new bearings and underside strut tower reinforcement plates as an added measure of safety.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Comments? Snide remarks? All Welcome.

I have not been racing or driving this car hard so I don't understand why 4 months later the parts fail.
Bruno - 2022 JCW
Former MINI's
2006 R53 Mini Cooper S
2011 R55 Mini Cooper Clubman
2013 R56 Mini Cooper S JCW
2008 R56 MINI Cooper S JCW
2014 R55 MINI JCW Clubman
2017 F56 MINI Cooper S JCW
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Re: Strut Bearings Failed (Again) Recommended Replacements?

Post by Minidave »

You are having a run of bad luck with these.....none of the fixes you mentioned except the fixed camber bearing plates should have any effect on those bearing mounts, and if you replace rubber with steel, your ride quality will suffer....not to mention you might need to change them out before you sell it. Maybe it's time to buy OEM parts instead of aftermarket?
Hi! My name's Dave!

'09 LB/LB Clubman S - "Max"
89 Mini "Racing Green"
94 SPi Project (The Hot Rod)
Zack
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Zack »

Minidave wrote:You are having a run of bad luck with these.....none of the fixes you mentioned except the fixed camber bearing plates should have any effect on those bearing mounts, and if you replace rubber with steel, your ride quality will suffer....not to mention you might need to change them out before you sell it. Maybe it's time to buy OEM parts instead of aftermarket?
I can't afford the dealer prices. I'm considering KYB mounts with underside reinforcement plates. My ride quality is already suffering because of the failed mounts. The OEM ones failed first. Plus I am moving to 16" wheels in the coming month permanently. Done with the harsh ride of 17" wheels. I have done some reading and it seems all the suspension problems I have been experiencing are related to larger wheels with low profile tires.

As far as resale. The car will probably be sold next year. Whether I get another Mini is debatable at the moment though if I do you can guarantee it won't be turbo charged.
Bruno - 2022 JCW
Former MINI's
2006 R53 Mini Cooper S
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

OK, sounds like you have all the answers...... :roll:
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
Zack
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Zack »

Minidave wrote:OK, sounds like you have all the answers...... :roll:
Well I wouldn't go that far Dave, hahaha. I can't afford the dealerships cost of $800 for both mounts and that still could leave potential for them failing. The more I think about it the more I'm convinced the Ireland Engineering ones are the best option. I told myself when I originally installed these bearings that if they failed I was done with those and was going to get the Ireland ones. But I am still going to wait a few days and let the comments and suggestions...and snide remarks ;-) Come in before I make a final decision. The car isn't immobilized... yet. :mrgreen:

Thank you though for the advice and suggestions. Whether I use that advice or not, I greatly appreciate it.
Bruno - 2022 JCW
Former MINI's
2006 R53 Mini Cooper S
MiniManiac
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by MiniManiac »

Zackattack28 wrote:Done with the harsh ride of 17" wheels. I have done some reading and it seems all the suspension problems I have been experiencing are related to larger wheels with low profile tires.
This sounds like a Classic Mini discussion between those who run 10s and those who run 13s. LOL.

I have been running 17s with low profiles for 6 years and I have zero problems. Plus, the ride isn't harsh.

I think you are having a run of bad luck. Good luck on the fix!
Seth
08 MCS - JCW
1974/1993 Classic Mini - 70 WHP!
Zack
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Zack »

MiniManiac wrote:
Zackattack28 wrote:Done with the harsh ride of 17" wheels. I have done some reading and it seems all the suspension problems I have been experiencing are related to larger wheels with low profile tires.
This sounds like a Classic Mini discussion between those who run 10s and those who run 13s. LOL.

I have been running 17s with low profiles for 6 years and I have zero problems. Plus, the ride isn't harsh.

I think you are having a run of bad luck. Good luck on the fix!
The R56 suspension I have been told is softer than the R53. I test drove an R56 and it was plush suspension wise compared to my car. I'm also wondering if some of the urethane bushings and mounts could be aiding in the destruction of these strut bearings.
Bruno - 2022 JCW
Former MINI's
2006 R53 Mini Cooper S
DA MINI
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by DA MINI »

We'll yes, if you installed urethane bushings the ride will be stiffer and jolting. Adds more wear to all related parts.
If you modify your car expect more maintence.
Mr. F56
MiniManiac
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by MiniManiac »

DA MINI wrote:We'll yes, if you installed urethane bushings the ride will be stiffer and jolting. Adds more wear to all related parts.
If you modify your car expect more maintence.
Very true.
Seth
08 MCS - JCW
Zack
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Zack »

Ordered a pair of Ireland Engineering fixed camber plates from Way. This should fix the problem. Talked to a few people who had these plates installed on their cars. One of them has had them on for 65,000 miles so far, without issue and his car has poly bushings all around. Sounds like a good option and if it will last at least that long, it'll pay for itself in the expense. Stay tuned for more shenanigans from my car. Also going to be installing X-Lites on 205/50/16 tires or 215/50/16 tires and getting rid of all my 17" wheels. The Rota's are for sale currently and the Plasti-dipped ASA's are heading there after most likely.
Bruno - 2022 JCW
Former MINI's
2006 R53 Mini Cooper S
kenshin138
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by kenshin138 »

A r53 with Sport package will ride very rough compared to any r56 (sport or no). I highly doubt going from 17's to 16's will make any noticeable difference for your system. You'd be looking at a major suspension change to really address it.

Back when I had my r53 I heard nothing but suggestions to get the Ireland Engineering defenders. Thankfully mine never really needed them.
Ryan
'12 MB/MB MCSa
Zack
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Zack »

kenshin138 wrote:A r53 with Sport package will ride very rough compared to any r56 (sport or no). I highly doubt going from 17's to 16's will make any noticeable difference for your system. You'd be looking at a major suspension change to really address it.

Back when I had my r53 I heard nothing but suggestions to get the Ireland Engineering defenders. Thankfully mine never really needed them.
I don't know if the 16's will improve the ride or not. They probably won't but in Lawrence, they should help keep the suspension from getting hurt. The roads here are terrible.
Bruno - 2022 JCW
Former MINI's
2006 R53 Mini Cooper S
Zack
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Zack »

Installed the Ireland Engineering Fixed Camber plates. They work beautifully. Soon as I sell the Rotas i will install the R84s with new tires on the car. Was going to get an alignment next week but during the mount install the car decided it wanted to spring a leak of grease or oil from the drivers side drive shaft boot. So that'll be the next big fix. When it rains it pours it would seem. I am unsure if I will continue in a Mini next year. If I do, I may be going Justa Cooper or Clubman. Hopefully fewer if any problems than the S models.
Bruno - 2022 JCW
Former MINI's
2006 R53 Mini Cooper S
MiniManiac
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by MiniManiac »

Zackattack28 wrote:Installed the Ireland Engineering Fixed Camber plates. They work beautifully. Soon as I sell the Rotas i will install the R84s with new tires on the car. Was going to get an alignment next week but during the mount install the car decided it wanted to spring a leak of grease or oil from the drivers side drive shaft boot. So that'll be the next big fix. When it rains it pours it would seem. I am unsure if I will continue in a Mini next year. If I do, I may be going Justa Cooper or Clubman. Hopefully fewer if any problems than the S models.
It sounds like you are driving a classic mini - LOL.

I don't think your suspension problems are "S" related. Usually the "S" problems are related to things such as the engine and turbo, or supercharger for your case. Either way, good luck with your maintenance.
Seth
08 MCS - JCW
Zack
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Zack »

MiniManiac wrote:
Zackattack28 wrote:Installed the Ireland Engineering Fixed Camber plates. They work beautifully. Soon as I sell the Rotas i will install the R84s with new tires on the car. Was going to get an alignment next week but during the mount install the car decided it wanted to spring a leak of grease or oil from the drivers side drive shaft boot. So that'll be the next big fix. When it rains it pours it would seem. I am unsure if I will continue in a Mini next year. If I do, I may be going Justa Cooper or Clubman. Hopefully fewer if any problems than the S models.
It sounds like you are driving a classic mini - LOL.

I don't think your suspension problems are "S" related. Usually the "S" problems are related to things such as the engine and turbo, or supercharger for your case. Either way, good luck with your maintenance.
Well it's a problem Isaac at Baron spotted and wrote down for me. Torn cv boot on drivers side. It's like $380 to fix it but that's what you get with a mini lol. Yea lol. This car is definitely starting to feel like a classic mini lol.
Bruno - 2022 JCW
Former MINI's
2006 R53 Mini Cooper S
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

It has nothing to do with being a MINI, all front drive cars have CV boots - remember the outer boots not only have to handle the vertical motion, but also steering - and they all fail at some point - I had to replace the front outer boots on the wife's Audi at less than 50K. Yours has 80K on it so you have to expect some maintenance. Seems to me if you can change those mounts you should be able to pull an axle and replace a CV boot and save some $$$......
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
MiniManiac
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by MiniManiac »

Minidave wrote:It has nothing to do with being a MINI, all front drive cars have CV boots - remember the outer boots not only have to handle the vertical motion, but also steering - and they all fail at some point - I had to replace the front outer boots on the wife's Audi at less than 50K. Yours has 80K on it so you have to expect some maintenance. Seems to me if you can change those mounts you should be able to pull an axle and replace a CV boot and save some $$$......
My classic Mini front boots only lasted 50K miles :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Seth
08 MCS - JCW
Zack
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Zack »

Minidave wrote:It has nothing to do with being a MINI, all front drive cars have CV boots - remember the outer boots not only have to handle the vertical motion, but also steering - and they all fail at some point - I had to replace the front outer boots on the wife's Audi at less than 50K. Yours has 80K on it so you have to expect some maintenance. Seems to me if you can change those mounts you should be able to pull an axle and replace a CV boot and save some $$$......
I would love to save money but I feel that a CV boot and removing a drive axle on my only mode of transportation...I don't trust my mechanical skills, or lack thereof. If I mess this up, I don't have a car. I would pay someone in the club to do it, or help me do it if that could guarantee that I wouldn't mess this up and not have a running car.

Update: Short of winning the lottery or getting a major raise in pay, I will have to keep Oliver going for another 2 to 3 years. Fingers crossed.
Bruno - 2022 JCW
Former MINI's
2006 R53 Mini Cooper S
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

Zackattack28 wrote: Update: Short of winning the lottery or getting a major raise in pay, I will have to keep Oliver going for another 2 to 3 years. Fingers crossed.
Well then, sounds like you need to up your income or your mechanic'an skills! :mrgreen:
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
Zack
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Zack »

Minidave wrote:
Zackattack28 wrote: Update: Short of winning the lottery or getting a major raise in pay, I will have to keep Oliver going for another 2 to 3 years. Fingers crossed.
Well then, sounds like you need to up your income or your mechanic'an skills! :mrgreen:
Well the income upping may not happen any time soon so I better up my mechanical skills, that being said, my dad owns the car technically, though I pay for maintenance and he said and I quote "Take it to Baron for repairs unless it is something minor...or else you can walk."
Bruno - 2022 JCW
Former MINI's
2006 R53 Mini Cooper S
MiniManiac
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by MiniManiac »

Zackattack28 wrote:
Minidave wrote:
Well the income upping may not happen any time soon so I better up my mechanical skills, that being said, my dad owns the car technically, though I pay for maintenance and he said and I quote "Take it to Baron for repairs unless it is something minor...or else you can walk."
Hmmm.....so it isn't your MINI? Do you make loan payments to your old man for it?
Seth
08 MCS - JCW
Zack
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Zack »

It was paid for the day he and my mom bought it for me as a graduation gift. That being said, I can't afford to replace the car at any point in time and it's my only means of transport for my business.
Bruno - 2022 JCW
Former MINI's
2006 R53 Mini Cooper S