Fixed my Welder

How-To and Pics of Mods to your MINI/Mini
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Fixed my Welder

Post by Minidave »

Fixed my welder.....it's just an inexpensive Clarke 100E mig with gas but I've had it for over 20 years and it works great for whatever I need to do around the shop - no I'm not welding up truck frames with it!

Anyway, the last time I used it the wire kept welding itself to the tip...I had new tips on hand but when I removed the old one it laid copper into the brass threads of the wand and I could not pic them out. So I ordered an 5mm X.8 tap off McMaster along with a couple of other ends and odds and they came in today.

2 minutes work with the tap and the threads are like new. I also cleaned the electrical contacts in the handle.....

A new tip and a new gas cup and she welds like new again - good for another 20 years!

Just goes to show you that even inexpensive tools can last a long time if you just take care of them. I did all of the sheet metal work on my old Jag with this welder - and there was a LOT of sheet metal work in that rustoration! I've run at least 10 - 10lb spools thru it over the years and replaced plenty of consumables but never had a problem with it till this time. I know this is nothing compared to those machines that are used professionally but it's a lot for a hobby welder.

The first thing I built with it was a cart - I built it out of a 2 wheel hand cart!

Glad to have it working again.....
Attachments
IMG_3262R.jpg
IMG_3262R.jpg (158.15 KiB) Viewed 1768 times
IMG_3261R.jpg
IMG_3261R.jpg (150.6 KiB) Viewed 1768 times
Hi! My name's Dave!

'09 LB/LB Clubman S - "Max"
89 Mini "Racing Green"
94 SPi Project (The Hot Rod)
SWT CHI

Re: Fixed my Welder