Supercharger Servicing (changing the oil)

How-To and Pics of Mods to your MINI/Mini
Zack
MINIAC
MINIAC

Supercharger Servicing (changing the oil)

Post by Zack »

Okay, I am already aware that Baron will not change the oil in the supercharger. My question is, are there any shops in the area that can do this and would do it for a reasonable price. I am aware I can by the oil and do it myself, but as I don't have another means of transport and can't technically take my car apart in my driveway without issues from management I thought it best to see if there was a shop, or even an individual who could even help me do this as I don't want to @&?$ this up.
Bruno - 2022 JCW
Former MINI's
2006 R53 Mini Cooper S
2011 R55 Mini Cooper Clubman
2013 R56 Mini Cooper S JCW
2008 R56 MINI Cooper S JCW
2014 R55 MINI JCW Clubman
2017 F56 MINI Cooper S JCW
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Re: Supercharger Servicing (changing the oil)

Post by Minidave »

It's a fairly time intensive job (read: expensive) as you have to remove the supercharger to get to the oil plugs, but any competent Mini service place should be able to do it, and no - it's not the kind of job to do in the driveway of an apartment complex. If you haven't done so already, it's a good time to also change the water pump, since you'll already have it off the car...(bolted to the back of the supercharger)

But there is no need to change the supercharger oil, the only thing you need to do is make sure it still has some, but by the time you get it to that point, you might as well change it. You can buy two of the little containers of oil from your local Chevy dealer, about $7 ea IIRC.

I don't know of any shops in Lawrence, but here in KC you could go to Baron, KC Autosport or my preferred shop - George's Imports in Martin City - they sometimes have loaner cars too.
Hi! My name's Dave!

'09 LB/LB Clubman S - "Max"
89 Mini "Racing Green"
94 SPi Project (The Hot Rod)
Zack
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Zack »

Minidave wrote:It's a fairly time intensive job (read: expensive) as you have to remove the supercharger to get to the oil plugs, but any competent Mini service place should be able to do it, and no - it's not the kind of job to do in the driveway of an apartment complex. If you haven't done so already, it's a good time to also change the water pump, since you'll already have it off the car...(bolted to the back of the supercharger)

But there is no need to change the supercharger oil, the only thing you need to do is make sure it still has some, but by the time you get it to that point, you might as well change it. You can buy two of the little containers of oil from your local Chevy dealer, about $7 ea IIRC.

I don't know of any shops in Lawrence, but here in KC you could go to Baron, KC Autosport or my preferred shop - George's Imports in Martin City - they sometimes have loaner cars too.
I know Baron said they couldn't do it because MINI won't allow them to. I will check out KC Autosport. Worst case scenario, I buy the oil, and find a friend with a garage to help me do the work.
Bruno - 2022 JCW
Former MINI's
2006 R53 Mini Cooper S
2011 R55 Mini Cooper Clubman
2013 R56 Mini Cooper S JCW
2008 R56 MINI Cooper S JCW
2014 R55 MINI JCW Clubman
2017 F56 MINI Cooper S JCW
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

Ok, but be aware this is not an easy job and there are several things that can go wrong and leave you without wheels while you wait for parts.

If you're going to do it, buy the gasket that goes between the intake and the supercharger, it's green and sort of rectangular, change the water pump too if it hasn't ever been done. Also, you'll want to borrow my hose clamp pliers, it makes getting all those spring type clamps on and off a whole lot easier. You'll also need a small torx for the bolts on the intercooler.....I don't remember the size tho......

Good luck!
Hi! My name's Dave!

'09 LB/LB Clubman S - "Max"
89 Mini "Racing Green"
94 SPi Project (The Hot Rod)