Plug gaps and torque?

How-To and Pics of Mods to your MINI/Mini
kgreen66
MINIAC
MINIAC

Plug gaps and torque?

Post by kgreen66 »

Anyone,

Been researching online and more confused. What should the gap be for my plugs and what torque setting? I bought NGK Iridum IX colder plugs, screamin demon coil and kingston plug wires. I have a supercharger pulley and ddm cold air intake if that makes a difference. The installation instructions for coil pack says open up to .065.

Thanks!
Hi! I'm Keith!
R53 2006 Chili Red MCS
16% Pulley / DDM CAI
Milltek Cat Back Exhaust
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Re: Plug gaps and torque?

Post by Minidave »

They come pre-gapped at about .035, don't they? That should be fine....

When you install them, make sure you tighten till you crush the washer first, then torque to 25ft lbs.......or tight. As you tighten the plug you can feel the washer crush and then the plug will get significantly harder to turn, that's when you torque it to the setting.

I've never used a torque wrench to install plugs and I've never had one come out, but for those who don't understand the tensile strength of aluminum vs cast iron, it's easy to overtighten them, for those folks a torque wrench is a good idea.

BTW, most people have found the factory coil to be the better coil....just FYI.
Hi! My name's Dave!

'09 LB/LB Clubman S - "Max"
89 Mini "Racing Green"
94 SPi Project (The Hot Rod)
kgreen66
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by kgreen66 »

Thank, Dave. Yes, I double checked the plugs and they seem to be gapped correctly. What would the benefit be to open up the gap to .065 per the coil pack instructions? Just curious.
Hi! I'm Keith!
R53 2006 Chili Red MCS
16% Pulley / DDM CAI
Milltek Cat Back Exhaust
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

Higher voltage will jump a larger gap, higher voltage is a hotter spark, useful in higher compression engines - yours is higher because of the pulley change you did. You would have to be running the car really hard - like on track, full load to redline every shift - to see any real world benefit.

However, I doubt it's necessary.

Like those folks who buy giant brake kits on their strictly street driven cars......they'll never use the capabilities of the larger brakes..
Hi! My name's Dave!

'09 LB/LB Clubman S - "Max"
89 Mini "Racing Green"
94 SPi Project (The Hot Rod)
kgreen66
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by kgreen66 »

Thanks for the info, Dave! :) I just used them with the preset factory gap. Running much smoother. I was overdue for plugs. I wish i would have known about the coil. I went ahead and installed it too. I bought it online and rather not return it. It's only money, right? :roll:
Hi! I'm Keith!
R53 2006 Chili Red MCS
16% Pulley / DDM CAI
Milltek Cat Back Exhaust