o-ring replacement on high pressure fuel pump

How-To and Pics of Mods to your MINI/Mini
dsopoci
MINIAC
MINIAC

o-ring replacement on high pressure fuel pump

Post by dsopoci »

I have a leaky o-ring that goes between the fuel pump and the engine on my r56. The o-ring,torx bolts and new high pressure fuel line are around $150. It does not look too bad to replace, just wondering if anyone else has done this before and has any advice.
2009 Cooper S, AEM intake,six spd, chili red with mini challenge stripes
MiniManiac
MINIAC
MINIAC

Re: o-ring replacement on high pressure fuel pump

Post by MiniManiac »

No help from me. Post up your results.
Seth
08 MCS - JCW
1974/1993 Classic Mini - 70 WHP!
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

The club has a Bentley manual and two Haynes manuals to loan if you'd like to do some reading first.....

I think the only tricky part is that it takes a special tool to release the inlet side fuel line from the pump. The high pressure sides use line nuts.....however you need to install the line and tighten the nuts (lube the fittings with light oil like ATF) finger tight before you tighten the bolts that hold the pump to the head. Can't think of any reason to replace the HP fuel line unless yours is damaged.......

Contact me if you want to borrow the book, but it's pretty straight forward. 913-648-6339
Hi! My name's Dave!

'09 LB/LB Clubman S - "Max"
89 Mini "Racing Green"
94 SPi Project (The Hot Rod)
dsopoci
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by dsopoci »

Minidave wrote:The club has a Bentley manual and two Haynes manuals to loan if you'd like to do some reading first.....

I think the only tricky part is that it takes a special tool to release the inlet side fuel line from the pump. The high pressure sides use line nuts.....however you need to install the line and tighten the nuts (lube the fittings with light oil like ATF) finger tight before you tighten the bolts that hold the pump to the head. Can't think of any reason to replace the HP fuel line unless yours is damaged.......

Contact me if you want to borrow the book, but it's pretty straight forward. 913-648-6339
I have line wrenches, is the high pressure line the one with the rubber hose? When I got the quote from Baron to fix it, it was recommended to replace the line too. I don"t have any special tools to take off the line off. Thank you for the offer on the books, but I live over by Manhattan Kansas. I don't know when I could get the books or return them.
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

The high pressure line is a solid metal line, it is to the right side of the car of the two lines, the rubber one is the one from the electric fuel pump - the supply line.

The special tool needed to release the low pressure line could be a standard tool, they use those type fittings on lot of cars.

Here are the steps according to the Bentley manual:

Disconnect neg battery cable

Remove intake manifold (I think they mean the air cleaner housing)

Use this tool to remove the low pressure line - it's stupid expensive to buy from MINI/BMW. MiniMania will special order it for $145!

There are two pins inside the round part of the tool that engage with two holes on the fitting, tighten the tool up to disengage the lock, push the fuel line in and pull it and the tool back and off. To reinstall just push the line on till it clicks in place.

Wrap a cloth around it to contain the residual pressure - fuel will leak out of both lines......

Loosen both HP line nuts, disconnect the electrical line and remove the line and the fasteners, remove the pump.

Installation is the reverse, as they say......be sure to lube the o-ring well, (I use silicone paste lubricant on o-rings, but grease will work as well) and tighten the bolts evenly so the pump doesn't cock in the bore as it goes in.

Pump fasteners torque to 106 in lbs, line nuts torque to 19 ft lbs.

I don't know when you're planning to do this job, but I'll be in Manhattan for T-giving and could bring a book up, or I can mail a Haynes manual - the club has two - and you can mail it back when you're done.
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
nine5raptor
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by nine5raptor »

Dave, you are always so helpful! I don't need to replace mine now but maybe sometime in the future.

I can't believe that part costs that much! If I could see the mouth to model it and had access to a 3D printer (cant use the ones at work), we could make one of those for about $15.
2010 MCS CR/W with some custom vinyl, JCW sport suspension (minus FSB), CNT cat back, Add a brake, Alta AP, Devil's Own H2O/Meth Injection, random other little stuff, and some good ol' mud flaps
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

Do you think it would be strong enough? I can't tell if it's made of plastic or metal.....

Turner Motorsport has it for $110......I'm not finding it for any less on the web, but I called for a quote from a German tools supplier in Austin.....
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
dsopoci
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by dsopoci »

Thank you for all of the info, I did see that tool online. I think it was around $125 for a blue aluminum one. My parts should arrive next week.
dsopoci
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by dsopoci »

I finished up with the o-ring replacement today. If I wouldn't have been goofing off, I could have had it all done within an hour. I did not need to replace a line, I just repalced the o-ring and used new torx head bolts. Just replacing those items would keep the project at around $20.00. The only special tool I used was a 12mm line wrench. The supply line comes off pretty easy. Now to fix the oil leak on the turbo line that is on the very top of the turbo, that will be another day.
nine5raptor
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by nine5raptor »

Glad it went well.
2010 MCS CR/W with some custom vinyl, JCW sport suspension (minus FSB), CNT cat back, Add a brake, Alta AP, Devil's Own H2O/Meth Injection, random other little stuff, and some good ol' mud flaps
MiniManiac
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by MiniManiac »

Good work!
Seth
08 MCS - JCW
1974/1993 Classic Mini - 70 WHP!